How bad are artificial sweeteners? Splenda?

Options

Replies

• SallyLuvsFitness
    SallyLuvsFitness Posts: 13,724 Member
    Options
    Great 👍 points!
  • SallyLuvsFitness
    Options

It's interesting that the article doesn't provide a link to the actual scientific study. My initial thoughts would be that people in the study who were using artificial sweeteners were not eating in a defecit which led to their weight gain.

Yes, interesting and agree!
  • SallyLuvsFitness
    Options
    I am not going to feel bad adding Splenda to my hot tea. In one day I probably use eight packets. I have given up alcohol, dry January, for the month! I am saving a boat load of calories/sugar from my wine intake!
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Do you think zero calorie artificial sweeteners create havoc on your diet?

No...I dont.
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    Fatty_Nuff wrote: »
    Do you think zero calorie artificial sweeteners create havoc on your diet?
    I'm convinced they do. I had a diet coke at the Golden Corral all-you-can-eat last night and I am up three pounds.

Hahaha....damned diet coke...lol😂
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    If artificial sweeteners spiked my insulin, I wouldn't be able to slam half a dozen zero-calorie drinks every day and detect ketones in my urine. I do both.
  • SallyLuvsFitness
    Options
    I typically use about twelve packets a day of Sweet-n-low in my tea. I am trying to lose ten pounds in order to get back to my goal. I have been reading articles and great hearing from all of you! I think its so much better for me to drink my hot tea with artificial sweetener than the wine I was drinking at night. I have given up my vino for January and most likely February until I reach my goal (may have a few glasses in Feb).

I am really watching my sodium intake in all of my foods; however, sill feeling a bit bloated. Well...while reading that artificial sweeteners can bloat you. HEY, no calories and I don’t get migraines or any other problems. I may be wrong of correlating sweet-n-low and feeling bloated.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    I have read articles that artificial sweeteners can cause belly fat. It makes NO sense to me as it has zero calories!

However in this article it at least says the following:
    When consumed in low quantities, artificial sweeteners have been shown to aid weight loss, improve metabolic conditions and even protect against injury during infection. However, this new study suggests that, rather than keeping us healthy, artificial sweeteners, especially when consumed in larger doses, could be contributing to the obesity epidemic.

Read more: https://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/artificial-sweeteners-may-make-you-fat-180968552/#YM7fmIs8LzmPiLzq.99

The reason it makes no sense is because it's a myth.
  • Aaron_K123
    Options
    Too much aspartame gives me headaches (more than one drink per day containing it), and I hate the taste of xylitol. Other than that, I haven't found any artificial sweeteners to be bad for me.

Sorry to be "that guy" and nitpick but given how much miscommunication and misunderstanding is out there on this topic I thought it worth pointing out that xylitol is not "artificial" at least in the way that "artificial" is typically used in the public to mean not derived from a natural product. Xylitol is produced by plants and is manufactured by purification from plants.

That said the use of the terms "artificial" and "natural" by the public can be somewhat arbitrary with some "natural" products actually undergoing more processing than the "artificial" ones.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    Too much aspartame gives me headaches (more than one drink per day containing it), and I hate the taste of xylitol. Other than that, I haven't found any artificial sweeteners to be bad for me.

Sorry to be "that guy" and nitpick but given how much miscommunication and misunderstanding is out there on this topic I thought it worth pointing out that xylitol is not "artificial" at least in the way that "artificial" is typically used in the public to mean not derived from a natural product. Xylitol is produced by plants and is manufactured by purification from plants.

That said the use of the terms "artificial" and "natural" by the public can be somewhat arbitrary with some "natural" products actually undergoing more processing than the "artificial" ones.

Noted. I, personally, lump everything that isn't sugar (or honey, I suppose) into the "artificial sweetener" pile. That's on me.
  • magnusthenerd
    magnusthenerd Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    While we're being pedantic, aspartame is not zero calorie, even though it is an artificial sweetener. It is just ludicrously low calorie because the peptide involved is about 200× sweeter than simple sugars on a per gram basis.
  • Aaron_K123
    Options
    While we're being pedantic, aspartame is not zero calorie, even though it is an artificial sweetener. It is just ludicrously low calorie because the peptide involved is about 200× sweeter than simple sugars on a per gram basis.

Yup...its about the same calorically as protein because it is basically just a methylated dipeptide. Its about 4 cal per gram but the amount necessary to sweeten things is typically measured in miligrams...so like you said its pretty negligible.