Help me!!!

Options

Replies

• thepainmaker88
    thepainmaker88 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    smarziii wrote: »
    Food scales are key! I'd really try to find a more sustainable calorie intake...Don't be so hard on yourself though if your seeing inches fall off your waist then there's a good chance you're losing fat. Maybe the few lbs you've seen go up on the scale are attributed to muscle gain and/or water weight? Sorry to ask such a personal question but are you menstruating? I only ask because women can gain up to 5LBs of water around their period.

So,

I'm on birth control so I don't really have a real period. Otherwise, I would've loved to blame my period for that haha!

For sure I lost fat because my body has changed but somehow I broke even, and that feels like that's not good enough after 6 months of work. Like I feel like I did something wrong.

OH YOU KNOW WHAT IT WAS

I HAD BEEN DRINKING 2/3 glass wine per night..... would that really screw me up?

In my experience when I drink, that night I loose (water) weight the next day I drink and drink to replenish myself and feel bloated....a quick search in google said this confirming how I felt:

"Alcohol acts first as a diuretic, meaning that while you are drinking you'll urinate more. Then the day after, as your body is dehydrated from all that drinking, it will retain fluid to make up for the loss."
  • smarziii
    smarziii Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    HollyPFlax wrote: »
    It sounds like you are similar to how I was when I first started. I was logging food inaccurately, but lying to myself. I didn't want to admit that I was eating so many extra calories. We tie so many emotions to food. It can feel shameful to really admit to yourself that you are overeating by a lot. One day, after a long plateau, I was able to realize what was going wrong. I clearly was mistaken about my daily intake. I promised myself that I would no longer hide food from my diary - it wasn't open anyway, what was I afraid of? It was shocking to see just how many places unnecessary calories would creep into my day. They are everywhere in the modern world. It was a challenge to actively train myself to stay away from those extra calories. A piece of chocolate at work, a spoonful of peanut butter, a single slice of cheese... But I kept up with my logging and eventually got the hang of it! I lost 50 lb and I've been on maintenance for a year. I still track (I will gain if I don't), but I it is so easy now. You can do it, too, just stay diligent!

What weight did you start out at? this is really motivating!
  • Fflpnari
    Fflpnari Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Do you have an activity tracker?
  • Coffee_qd
    Coffee_qd Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    You mentioned in your OP that you added additional fiber and it causes constipation. The same happened to me. I added more fiber but what I didn't do is drink enough fluids. Mentioned the fiber/constipation problem to my doctor. She told me that increasing fiber is great. However, drinking plenty of water is just as important as it aids in processing the fiber. It makes it do its job by creating bulk and helping it move through your intestines smoothly. Consuming fiber w/o adequate fluid intake makes all this bulky stuff just sit there and expand, causing constipation.
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    Coffee_qd wrote: »
    You mentioned in your OP that you added additional fiber and it causes constipation. The same happened to me. I added more fiber but what I didn't do is drink enough fluids. Mentioned the fiber/constipation problem to my doctor. She told me that increasing fiber is great. However, drinking plenty of water is just as important as it aids in processing the fiber. It makes it do its job by creating bulk and helping it move through your intestines smoothly. Consuming fiber w/o adequate fluid intake makes all this bulky stuff just sit there and expand, causing constipation.

It can help to work up to an increased fiber amount too. Sudden changes are not fun for the body, even when the change is generally considered an improvement!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,085 Member
    Options
    apullum wrote: »
    Your constipation is contributing a little to the weight gain since the extra waste in your system has weight. Try cutting back on the new foods that made you constipated, and if you want to eat more fiber, increase your fiber intake slowly instead of all at once.

I took a look at your diary, OP. There's really not enough logged recent days there to generalize, from what I can see. Therefore, I'll add this:

Constipation can indeed add scale weight, and if it persists in a severe way, it can be a major medical problem. I'm not meaning to scare you, but feel like you need to realize that.

I agree with apullum's comment about slowly increasing fiber. That's a better strategy for various reasons, one of which is the constipation issue.

Alongside that, there are other factors that can increase the likelihood of constipation. Two of those are lack of exercise, and inadequate hydration (water consumption, mostly). Here on MFP, most people aren't having a problem with those, though it can happen.

A third common factor in constipation is people not eating enough fat. We need fat for a variety of reasons: One is smooth digestive throughput, but others include absorption of fat-soluble essential vitamins (A, D, E, K), cellular health, and hormonal balance (particularly for women). Too often, people cutting calories are eating too-low fat because fat is relatively high in calories. But it's important to come at least close to your MFP default fat goal, especially if you have a tendency toward constipation. Nuts, seeds, olive oil, avocado, and that sort of thing are particularly healthy sources of fat (monounsatured (MUFA) and polyunsaturated (PUFA) fatty acids). Chia seeds and flax meal can be contributors to that, with reasonable portions.

Since you have limited data in your diary, I wanted to mention the "get enough fat" factor, because I can't tell whether you typically are getting enough, or not.

Beyond that: I agree with those saying 2 pounds a week is too aggressive a loss rate for you. Too fast loss is unhealthy (risks muscle loss, hair loss, and worse), and can be counter productive (reduced energy level leads to fatigue, causing reduced daily-life activity and maybe exercise under-performance, and leading to a lowered all-day calorie burn, so slowed weight loss vs. expectations).

So: Slower loss rate target you can stick to, log all the days (even over days), phase in the fiber increase over a couple of weeks or so, get enough water/fats alongside the increased fiber.

Best wishes!
  • amyepdx
    amyepdx Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    @MichelleSilverleaf I'm 200 so I have about 40 to lose ....I'm ure its not actual fat gain, I havent been eating crazy, I just cant get the scale to go down!!!

With only 40 pounds to lose change your weekly weight loss goal to a pound a week and enjoy the extra calories. Otherwise, it is quite likely that this will happen:

binge-low-calorie-diet.jpg

https://www.aworkoutroutine.com/1200-calorie-diet/

I love that you said "only" 40 pounds!!!!! Makes it sound easier than it feels haha!

Maybe I can up my calories to 1500..... Just to not feel like a failure at the end of the day...

1500 PLUS exercise calories.

So,

If I burn 600 cal at OrangeTheory, (this crazy class that I love to go to) I can eat back those calories?

That seems high even for OTF. How are you calculating that? I usually get about a 350 bump at the most. Remember, exercise calories are a factor over what you would have normally burned just doing normal activity during that hour, otherwise you are double counting. A fitness tracker would be a good idea.
  • smarziii
    Options
    Coffee_qd wrote: »

I'm drinking 64 oz a day...should I be drinking more
  • smarziii
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    apullum wrote: »
    Your constipation is contributing a little to the weight gain since the extra waste in your system has weight. Try cutting back on the new foods that made you constipated, and if you want to eat more fiber, increase your fiber intake slowly instead of all at once.

I took a look at your diary, OP. There's really not enough logged recent days there to generalize, from what I can see. Therefore, I'll add this:

Constipation can indeed add scale weight, and if it persists in a severe way, it can be a major medical problem. I'm not meaning to scare you, but feel like you need to realize that.

I agree with apullum's comment about slowly increasing fiber. That's a better strategy for various reasons, one of which is the constipation issue.

Alongside that, there are other factors that can increase the likelihood of constipation. Two of those are lack of exercise, and inadequate hydration (water consumption, mostly). Here on MFP, most people aren't having a problem with those, though it can happen.

A third common factor in constipation is people not eating enough fat. We need fat for a variety of reasons: One is smooth digestive throughput, but others include absorption of fat-soluble essential vitamins (A, D, E, K), cellular health, and hormonal balance (particularly for women). Too often, people cutting calories are eating too-low fat because fat is relatively high in calories. But it's important to come at least close to your MFP default fat goal, especially if you have a tendency toward constipation. Nuts, seeds, olive oil, avocado, and that sort of thing are particularly healthy sources of fat (monounsatured (MUFA) and polyunsaturated (PUFA) fatty acids). Chia seeds and flax meal can be contributors to that, with reasonable portions.

Since you have limited data in your diary, I wanted to mention the "get enough fat" factor, because I can't tell whether you typically are getting enough, or not.

Beyond that: I agree with those saying 2 pounds a week is too aggressive a loss rate for you. Too fast loss is unhealthy (risks muscle loss, hair loss, and worse), and can be counter productive (reduced energy level leads to fatigue, causing reduced daily-life activity and maybe exercise under-performance, and leading to a lowered all-day calorie burn, so slowed weight loss vs. expectations).

So: Slower loss rate target you can stick to, log all the days (even over days), phase in the fiber increase over a couple of weeks or so, get enough water/fats alongside the increased fiber.

Best wishes!

Do you think 64 oz is enough?

I work out at least 3 times a week.
  • smarziii
    Options
    amyepdx wrote: »
    @MichelleSilverleaf I'm 200 so I have about 40 to lose ....I'm ure its not actual fat gain, I havent been eating crazy, I just cant get the scale to go down!!!

With only 40 pounds to lose change your weekly weight loss goal to a pound a week and enjoy the extra calories. Otherwise, it is quite likely that this will happen:

I love that you said "only" 40 pounds!!!!! Makes it sound easier than it feels haha!

Maybe I can up my calories to 1500..... Just to not feel like a failure at the end of the day...

So,

If I burn 600 cal at OrangeTheory, (this crazy class that I love to go to) I can eat back those calories?

That seems high even for OTF. How are you calculating that? I usually get about a 350 bump at the most. Remember, exercise calories are a factor over what you would have normally burned just doing normal activity during that hour, otherwise you are double counting. A fitness tracker would be a good idea.

I use the heart rate monitor they gave me! I do work really hard for that.
  • smarziii
    Options

So,

and i have a apple watch that i use for everything else
  • amyepdx
    Options

So,

I use the heart rate monitor they gave me! I do work really hard for that.

Right but that’s going to give you the entire amount of calories you burned in that hour, not just the amount extra you burned during the class. For instance, the OTF tracker said I burned 444 for Monday’s workout. But my MFP calorie adjustment from my Fitbit was more like 300.
  • smarziii
    edited January 2019
    Options
    like active calories vs total calories? my apple watch calculates both. should I wear it during my workout?

• smarziii
    Options
    @amyepdx I always wondered why I burned so much
  • amyepdx
    Options

Well it does sound like you are a lot faster than me - plus I’m 60 lol
    Try eating back 1/2 and see how you do or get a Fitbit and see what it tells you after a few weeks.
  • magnusthenerd
    magnusthenerd Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options

So,

Is that 600 calories what OrangeTheory itself advertises? A lot of fitness companies advertise some number as burn up X an hour with X representing someone continuously doing the exercise without break, at a maximum intensity.

If you regularly do a particular exercise, you can use accurate food logging to backwards estimate how much you really typically burn for the exercise.
  • smarziii
    Options

Well it does sound like you are a lot faster than me - plus I’m 60 lol
    Try eating back 1/2 and see how you do or get a Fitbit and see what it tells you after a few weeks.

I have an apple watch...That counts active and total calories....I don't need to buy a Fitbit do I?
  • smarziii
    Options

So,

Is that 600 calories what OrangeTheory itself advertises? A lot of fitness companies advertise some number as burn up X an hour with X representing someone continuously doing the exercise without break, at a maximum intensity.

If you regularly do a particular exercise, you can use accurate food logging to backwards estimate how much you really typically burn for the exercise.

So, they strap a heart monitor to you and count your calories you burn. 600 was just a figurative number that I sometimes reach if I go all out.