Struggling with 1200 calories

Options
So I’m on 1200 cals/day right now. It’s actually working pretty good for me, because I workout a lot. So when I work out, I add anywhere from 150-500 calories to eat depending on my workout of course.
And it’s easy for me to stay at 1200 plus my workout calories. But I’m struggling with my rest days. On days I don’t move much (1-2 times a week), it’s SO hard for me to stay at 1200. I’ve literally tried so many times and I’ve wound up STARVING by the end of the day.
What should I do? Should I change my calorie goal? Or just suck it up?

Replies

• Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    I am also at a net of 1200. I use some calories from my heavier workout days to carry over to my rest days. I average a net of 1200 for the week but almost never eat that little.

But I’m older, and work a desk job in my house and take less than 4K steps a day except tor purposeful exercise. 1200 as a net is correct for me.

It might be too low for you.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,626 Member
    Options
    most people can eat more than 1200 and still lose just fine. mine is set to 1200 but i also know my logging isnt always on point and i also dont care if i go over, and most days i do. ive lost 120 pounds, so im doing okay ;)

depending on how much you have to lose, set your weight loss to -5-1.5 pounds per week (the closer you are to goal weight you are the closer to .5/week you should be).

• Suuzanne37
    Suuzanne37 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I think you could eat up to your maintenance calories on those days; the week should end up being an overall loss✨
  • SoleTrainer60
    SoleTrainer60 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I try to stay under 1400 calories. Sometimes I have felt like I was starving after dinner. My daughter told me I might need more protein foods, or high fiber low calorie foods. :)
  • jo_nz
    jo_nz Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    On your exercise days, are you feeling like you "need" to eat back all your calories?

If not, maybe you could average out your calories over a week and eat that - so, you'd be a bit under your net goal on exercise days and eat those "leftover" calories on rest days.
  • Fflpnari
    Fflpnari Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    What are your stats? Where did you get the 1200 from? Have you tried upping the calories?
  • BethE238
    BethE238 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    How much protein are you getting at each meal?
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    How quickly are you losing weight at 1200 calories? I am asking because in reality most people don't need to be that low for successful weight loss and losing too quickly can have negative consequences. If you are finding you are too hungry on your rest days there are a number of things you can do.

1. Average your calories out more evenly over the week so you are eating a bit less on exercise days and a bit more on other days.
    2. Change your goals to a lower weight loss. If it is 2 pounds drop back to 1.5 pounds or if it is 1.5 pounds drop back to 1 pound. You are better off losing slower in a way that is sustainable because you are less likely to give up because it all becomes too hard.
    3. Decide on non-exercise days that you will eat at a lower deficit or maintenance. Again this will make weight loss a bit slower but more success will be gained with something that is sustainable long term.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    How tall are you? Most people, unless they are women who are very short, sedentary, and/or older, can lose weight eating more than 1200 calories. If that description doesn't sound like you, try setting your rate of loss to 1 lb/week and you should get a bigger calorie allowance.
  • HakunaMatata137
    HakunaMatata137 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Fflpnari wrote: »
    What are your stats? Where did you get the 1200 from? Have you tried upping the calories?

I am 5’3” and 175 lbs. I have a weird schedule and sometimes I hit 10,000 steps in a day, but sometimes it’s as low as 5,000 steps. So I set my activity level to “sedentary” and wanting to lose 2 lbs/week.

I’ve lost 35 lbs so far but I’m at a total plateau. For the past like 6 months actually :/ so I worried that upping the calories wouldn’t help me get past it
  • HakunaMatata137
    HakunaMatata137 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    apullum wrote: »
    How tall are you? Most people, unless they are women who are very short, sedentary, and/or older, can lose weight eating more than 1200 calories. If that description doesn't sound like you, try setting your rate of loss to 1 lb/week and you should get a bigger calorie allowance.

I’m 5’3”, 175 lbs. I have some days where I walk 10,000+ steps, and some days that I’m totally sedentary at like 4,000-5,000 steps. It depends on the day of the week and what I’m doing. Maybe I’ll try upping it to 1400 calories
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    2 pounds per week is likely far too aggressive for you right now.

But if you aren’t losing weight now, it’s unlikely that eating more is going to help that.

How are you measuring your intake?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

I am 5’3” and 175 lbs. I have a weird schedule and sometimes I hit 10,000 steps in a day, but sometimes it’s as low as 5,000 steps. So I set my activity level to “sedentary” and wanting to lose 2 lbs/week.

I’ve lost 35 lbs so far but I’m at a total plateau. For the past like 6 months actually :/ so I worried that upping the calories wouldn’t help me get past it

2lbs a week isn't necessary.

6 month with no weight loss means you're eating in maintenance.

Do you weigh your food with scales?
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »

With your stats, 2 lbs is too aggressive, it's really only appropriate if you have 75+ lbs to lose and are over 200 lbs. I'd guess you have maybe 40 lbs to go? Change to at least 1.5 (if not 1 lb per week).

Are you saying you haven't lost weight in 6 months? If so, you're probably not actually eating the 1200 cals you're logging. How is your logging accuracy? Using a food scale?

X100
    Select 1 or 1.5lb/loss a week and eat back exercise calories on days you exercise more

but also, get a food scale and use it for anything non liquid.