Sugar - Let's talk about it

Options
124»

Replies

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    Try it out. It's great if you are into nerdy nutrition stuff. It's fun to see what contributes what.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    I watch sugar, but only because my rosacea acts up if I have too much of it. And when I do have it, I try to have it from natural sources (like fruit and veg). The last few days it has been a bit higher, and i can feel the difference. It's annoying having another macro to track, but also my skin burns and itches when it flares up, so it's kind of worth it.

I just have to tell you, every time I see a comment from you, your user name bothers me. I really, really hope you're not referring to yourself and maybe just made the account when you were angry at someone. ;)

And so I can say my comment wasn't completely off-topic, I am one of those people that allow sugar to drive out more important things in her diet, and I wonder if it's a point that could probably be emphasized more often. It just seems like most sugar threads tend to be people that need convinced that the world (and their diet) won't necessarily come crashing down if they have a cookie.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    I generally do not pay attention to my sugar numbers. I eat my calorie goal, try to hit my protein and try not to be too low on fat. I also don't consume much added sugar on average.

However on long hikes, I tend to have a small Coke or some iced tea with real sugar and some chocolate. Nothing seems to fuel me better during a long, exhaustive hike.

Fig newtons for my double digit hikes and a peanut butter and jelly sandwich at the end. I never eat them otherwise but they are exactly what I want and crave during and after those bigger hikes (I'm looking at you Grand Canyon and Pikes Peak).

On topic, I do avoid (but don't completely abstain from) added sugar but that's because they do not fill me up at all and tend to make me want to overeat. I also have a family history of type 2 DM so I do what I can to mitigate any risk factors. I used to be more of a IIFYM sort of person but I've recently become more interested in micronutrient nutrition.

Off topic but on the micro nutrient topic, check on your magnesium and Vit K intake. The majority of Americans are deficient and they are massively important in 1000s of body processes. It can take decades of chronic deficiency for problems to begin to show upx
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Speaking of sugar as a new keto person: When I selected boiled cabbage and frozen collards as the 156 grams of vegetable nutrition I'd have in a day, that lasted 1 day. Maybe it was 2. I've learned that cardio exercise earns some carbs, so dadgum it I'm going to have a tiny sum of chocolate because I can.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    Speaking of sugar as a new keto person: When I selected boiled cabbage and frozen collards as the 156 grams of vegetable nutrition I'd have in a day, that lasted 1 day. Maybe it was 2. I've learned that cardio exercise earns some carbs, so dadgum it I'm going to have a tiny sum of chocolate because I can.

156 g? Based on what? And are you saying you are ditching veg for chocolate? And to think keto types slam us for eating fruit, potatoes, and occasional sugar.

For what it's worth, 78 g each of cabbage and collard = 48 g cals, 10 g carbs. All the A and K, but not much of anything else.
  • lalalacroix
    lalalacroix Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    brower47 wrote: »
    I generally do not pay attention to my sugar numbers. I eat my calorie goal, try to hit my protein and try not to be too low on fat. I also don't consume much added sugar on average.

However on long hikes, I tend to have a small Coke or some iced tea with real sugar and some chocolate. Nothing seems to fuel me better during a long, exhaustive hike.

Fig newtons for my double digit hikes and a peanut butter and jelly sandwich at the end. I never eat them otherwise but they are exactly what I want and crave during and after those bigger hikes (I'm looking at you Grand Canyon and Pikes Peak).

Both are really great. I actually completely lose my appetite when hiking. Now that I am hiking in double digits I've been trying out different high carb foods. It seems that drinks and melting chocolate in my mouth are the easiest way for me to refuel when I have no appetite.
  • Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    try2again wrote: »
    I watch sugar, but only because my rosacea acts up if I have too much of it. And when I do have it, I try to have it from natural sources (like fruit and veg). The last few days it has been a bit higher, and i can feel the difference. It's annoying having another macro to track, but also my skin burns and itches when it flares up, so it's kind of worth it.

I just have to tell you, every time I see a comment from you, your user name bothers me. I really, really hope you're not referring to yourself and maybe just made the account when you were angry at someone. ;)

And so I can say my comment wasn't completely off-topic, I am one of those people that allow sugar to drive out more important things in her diet, and I wonder if it's a point that could probably be emphasized more often. It just seems like most sugar threads tend to be people that need convinced that the world (and their diet) won't necessarily come crashing down if they have a cookie.

Exactly, thank you! There have actually been times in the past where I have opted for a dessert rather than a healthy dinner. Just this week, with a lunch box full of fruit and protein, I stood at a convenience store counter having to explain to myself just why a couple of large Snickers bars were NOT a good replacement for my regular lunch. :o

I'm often a bit shocked at how easily I can make the wrong choice sometimes when I know better. The Snickers bars...Love em and will continue to eat them, but I need my healthy nutrients first.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    I try to have it both ways. There are three things I focus on getting enough of in my diet, letting the rest "fall where it falls" (generally slightly more carbs and slightly less—like maybe 25% instead of 30%—fat than the defaults): Protein, iron, and fiber. There are some sweetened cereals that are a significant source of iron. I hate cereal in milk, but dry as a snack? Quaker Corn Squares or Kellogg's Krave can really hit the spot. Note: these are not what I'd call 'sugary cereals' in the same sense that Frosted Flakes or Count Chocula would be, but they're sweeter than Special K or Cheerios.
  • Phirrgus
    Options
    I try to have it both ways. There are three things I focus on getting enough of in my diet, letting the rest "fall where it falls" (generally slightly more carbs and slightly less—like maybe 25% instead of 30%—fat than the defaults): Protein, iron, and fiber. There are some sweetened cereals that are a significant source of iron. I hate cereal in milk, but dry as a snack? Quaker Corn Squares or Kellogg's Krave can really hit the spot. Note: these are not what I'd call 'sugary cereals' in the same sense that Frosted Flakes or Count Chocula would be, but they're sweeter than Special K or Cheerios.
    I've been doing the 'have it both ways' thing, but my grasp of nailing each nutritional metric isn't as good as yours or others. It's been 1.5 months or so steadily losing weight, but maybe I ought to start focusing on that a bit...or a lot lol. Thanks for the reply :)
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    Phirrgus wrote: »
    I've been doing the 'have it both ways' thing, but my grasp of nailing each nutritional metric isn't as good as yours or others. It's been 1.5 months or so steadily losing weight, but maybe I ought to start focusing on that a bit...or a lot lol. Thanks for the reply :)

If you have only been losing for 6 weeks it is too soon to start adding requirements to your diet unless your doctor says otherwise. If you are concerned get a cheap multi-vitamin as a little insurance.

Try to eat a variety and focus all of your attention on sustainability for now. Losing weight will make you healthier all by itself. Just keep doing what you are doing and make small changes over time. Once enough time has passed (months) and you feel like you have it down you can certainly tweak more areas. I have been at this for 11 months and I still would not dive into the DASH pool. I like the idea of increasing my fiber to 50 on a more consistent basis so I think that is where I will start because it is not a big change. Whatever else I might feel I want to tackle can wait.
  • Phirrgus
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »

If you have only been losing for 6 weeks it is too soon to start adding requirements to your diet unless your doctor says otherwise. If you are concerned get a cheap multi-vitamin as a little insurance.

Try to eat a variety and focus all of your attention on sustainability for now. Losing weight will make you healthier all by itself. Just keep doing what you are doing and make small changes over time. Once enough time has passed (months) and you feel like you have it down you can certainly tweak more areas. I have been at this for 11 months and I still would not dive into the DASH pool. I like the idea of increasing my fiber to 50 on a more consistent basis so I think that is where I will start because it is not a big change. Whatever else I might feel I want to tackle can wait.

Thanks for the tips @NovusDies

I don't think it's coincidence you mentioned fiber intake. That's my Achilles heel, and would probably be the best place to start. I have (roughly) 6-8lbs to go for my current goal of 174lbs, but it's slow, and sometimes frustrating with the daily fluctuations and all. Small changes sounds nice.

Thank you
  • NovusDies
    Options

I don't think it's coincidence you mentioned fiber intake. That's my Achilles heel, and would probably be the best place to start. I have (roughly) 6-8lbs to go for my current goal of 174lbs, but it's slow, and sometimes frustrating with the daily fluctuations and all. Small changes sounds nice.

Thank you

Daily fluctuations suck. I have seen them countless times and they don't phase me like they did in the beginning but they never stop sucking... at least for me.

Be careful with the fiber. It can be a very uncomfortable item to add if you ramp up too fast. I have been slowly increasing mine with no set number in mind for a long time now and I already go over 50 some days so it won't be that much of a change for me. You can start with fiber supplements instead of making any changes to your diet.
  • Phirrgus
    Options

Thank you

Daily fluctuations suck. I have seen them countless times and they don't phase me like they did in the beginning but they never stop sucking... at least for me.

Be careful with the fiber. It can be a very uncomfortable item to add if you ramp up too fast. I have been slowly increasing mine with no set number in mind for a long time now and I already go over 50 some days so it won't be that much of a change for me. You can start with fiber supplements instead of making any changes to your diet.

I couldn't help but chuckle a bit - It was because of my biggest fluctuation (that I actually caught on the scale) of 4.8lbs, that I bought a tub of Metamucil sometime back, and took some last night and am feeling pretty "uncomfortable" today.

I think that covers the points in our chat fairly well :D

I do really appreciate the food for thought here, because I can be slow sometimes, but you made me think of 3 years ago before some surgeries and then, every plate I ate was at least .5 veggies, and now...it just isn't. That's a slight and welcome wake up call for me. I always operated much more efficiently on a high veggie intake.
  • try2again
    edited February 2019
    Options

Thank you

I know ideally increasing fiber is a matter of adding things like veggies, beans, & whole grains, but we found an easy way to pad the numbers was with certain low carb/low cal products (tortillas, pasta, etc) that increase fiber as a way of lowering net carbs and/or calories. We buy a 150 calorie store-brand pasta that has 13 g/serving and tastes no different than regular pasta.
  • Phirrgus
    Options

Thank you

I know ideally increasing fiber is a matter of adding things like veggies, beans, & whole grains, but we found an easy way to pad the numbers was with certain low carb/low cal products (tortillas, pasta, etc) that increase fiber as a way of lowering net carbs and/or calories. We buy a 150 calorie store-brand pasta that has 13 g/serving and tastes no different than regular pasta.

I know this was to NovusDies, but thank you. I'll use those tips too...we eat a fairly good amount of pasta usually :)
  • try2again
    Options

Thank you

I know this was to NovusDies, but thank you. I'll use those tips too...we eat a fairly good amount of pasta usually :)

No- actually for both of you (or whoever) ;)
  • NovusDies
    Options

Thank you

I couldn't help but chuckle a bit - It was because of my biggest fluctuation (that I actually caught on the scale) of 4.8lbs, that I bought a tub of Metamucil sometime back, and took some last night and am feeling pretty "uncomfortable" today.

I think that covers the points in our chat fairly well :D

I do really appreciate the food for thought here, because I can be slow sometimes, but you made me think of 3 years ago before some surgeries and then, every plate I ate was at least .5 veggies, and now...it just isn't. That's a slight and welcome wake up call for me. I always operated much more efficiently on a high veggie intake.

Fiber won't help much with fluctuations unless you are seriously backed up. An overnight ~5lb is almost all water weight. For the most part weight fluctuations are completely normal and not something to try and control.
  • Phirrgus
    Options
    Thank you both :) - on the fiber to fix the "fluctuation" ...I was a bit backed up at the time. Most of my normal fluctuations are ~1.5 to 2lbs. Annoying, but livable with.