Prescribed Phentermine, but I'm worried...

Options
xDanielleTaix
xDanielleTaix Posts: 12 Member
edited February 2019 in Health and Weight Loss
Hey everyone.

So my doctor prescribed Phentermine 30mg for 12 weeks to me on Tuesday. She told me she wanted me to drop 30 pounds in the next 3 months because of the amount I've gained so quickly. My gain, she said, was because of the Zoloft she prescribed me. She told me to take it once a day for the 3 months and sent me on my way.

I of course was ecstatic. I've never thought of using a weightloss pill before and I didn't ask her for one on Tuesday. But 30 pounds in 3 months with little effort??? Sign me up.

However after I took my first dose I felt funny, so I decided I'd look up the drug. I found lots of good things about people losing (and then regaining) weight, and I saw how dangerous this could be.

I can't believe she prescribed me this WHILE I'm taking Zoloft with NO meal plan or check up plan with me?!

I'm now stuck with what I should do. I took a dose yesterday and today, but my heart rate is freaking me out and I don't want to put myself in danger, but I also understand the risks of the weight I am.

She's been my doctor for 15 years. I'd rather not have to change, but this prescription is worrying me.

I know there are a lot of knowledgeable people here I was wondering if you had any advice? Should I power through? Or stop and ignore my doctor's advice about this.

I also want to apologize for the lack of diary. My physician recommended Cronometer for January because I am newly vegan and she wanted me to track food there to check my micros.

Calories -
Tuesday: 890
Wednesday: 590
Thursday: 808

I know these are terribly low, but when I tried to eat more I got super nauseated and was afraid of throwing up. I don't want to eating this little, but maybe that's the point of Phentermine?

Weight: 230
Height: 5'5"
Blood pressure (day of prescription): 120/80
RHR: 73
Highest Heart Rate (while on meds just grocery shopping): 141

Replies

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,867 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Your doctor knows your complete medical history which you can't possibly fully present in a short post (and which most of us, including myself, would not be able to professionally evaluate if we had it in front of us).

So there is that.

I would, personally, not take an upper for weight loss **unless** there were extremely compelling reasons to do so that made the relative risk(s) worthwhile.

Doctors can be asked follow up questions and clarifications.

Second opinions from other doctors can also be solicited in many cases.

Especially after some recent shadded informed concent experiences I no longer have ANY qualms about demanding FULL explanations.

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,008 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Your doctor knows your complete medical history which you can't possibly fully present in a short post (and which most of us, including myself, would not be able to professionally evaluate if we had it in front of us).

So there is that.

I would, personally, not take an upper for weight loss **unless** there were extremely compelling reasons to do so that made the relative risk(s) worthwhile.

Doctors can be asked follow up questions and clarifications.

Second opinions from other doctors can also be solicited in many cases.

Especially after some recent shadded informed concent experiences I no longer have ANY qualms about demanding FULL explanations.

I agree with this except for the first sentence. It doesn't sound like @xDanielleTaix has reported her side effects to her doctor yet, so the doctor does not have a full medical history at this point. Please report your side effects and your concerns to your doctor.
  • Teabythesea_
    Teabythesea_ Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    Phentermine is an appetite suppressant, so it is working how intended. Unfortunately, heart issues are some of the main side effects due to its amphetamine-like nature. It's intended to be used in addition to a meal plan and only after you have tried to lose weight in other ways, a last resort if you will. Doctors are typically not that knowledgeable in the way of diet and nutrition. What they know is what they've taught themselves and it's often wildly inaccurate. I would seek the help of someone who specializes in that area to assist you with weight loss if your efforts to lose the weight yourself have been unsuccessful.
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    My husband was put on this short term because he had sleep apnea and needed to lose weight. It did have some side effects but they went away mostly, he was glad to get off of it though. He gave it to him because losing weight fast was important to his health.

You need to talk to your doctor. If he prescribed it to you, he had a reason. It is a tool and not a magic pill. My husband still had to watch his caloric intake and exercise.
  • xtina315
    xtina315 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I was on it. Caused high bp, tachycardia and what most people dont know it can cause long term heart damage. I lost 20 lbs, but after 3 months it stopped working gained all the weight back plus 10 pounds. I wouldnt take it. I just gained 25 in the last 3 months and have lost 7 so far and im on prednisone and have pcos. I wouldnt take it my bp was through the roof, I was anxious, jittery, couldnt sleep, and my heart rate was 140s sitting. Just be patient and eat right and move more
  • xtina315
    xtina315 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Discuss with your doctor that perhaps a better approach would be for you to take an antidepressant that does not require a co-prescription of an amphetamine-like appetite suppressant?

I have taken both. Zoloft gave me other unpleasant side effects. I am currently taking Wellbutrin for an AD and like it way better than the myriad other ADs I tried.

I didn't internalize healthy eating habits when my appetite was artificially suppressed by taking a legal amphetamine-like drug and I gained all the weight back when I stopped taking it. And now I am on medication for heart palpitations.

Here's my favorite post about Phentermine: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10329901/phentermine/p1
    I have seen a lot of posts on and off about this and other weight loss drugs. I can vouch that they absolutely work. I have lost a lot weight using Phentermine on and off throughout about a 10 year span.

BUT...

The weight doesn't stay off. And those side effects? They are real.

You could take Phentermine and lose the weight, but you might end up like me. I'm 30 years old, slightly over weight, and have moderate tricuspid valve regurgitation. As in, I might need open heart surgery because my heart was damaged by Phentermine. To be clear, I never took it for more than a few months at a time, was monitored by a doctor, and did everything "right".

My lifespan has likely been shortened to lose a few pounds. Weight I could have lost on my own with a little bit of gumption. It wasn't worth it.

Ive had tachycardia ever since i took it 7 years sgo!
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    When I was on Zoloft alone years ago it made my heart race so I can't even imagine these two together, go back to your docs and tell what you posted here,better to be safe than sorry <3
  • lalalacroix
    lalalacroix Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I took Phentermine during three different periods over 10 years ago. Firstly I completely lost my appetite and had to force myself to eat. I ended up fainting 2 different times.

Secondly I regained any and all weight lost because I did not learn healthy habits.

I did not learn how many calories a day I needed to maintain the weight loss.

I did not learn which foods were satiating in order to not overeat.

I did not learn how to portion my snacks in order to mostly eat the foods I actually needed for good health.

I did not learn that if I have fast food that I may need to eat a lower calorie amount the rest of the day... in order not to regain.

Honestly that's just a small number of things I know now that I didn't know then. I wish I could have learned those lessons then because later I ended up much fatter than I had been.

I personally view Phentermine as a drug that was dangerous for me and I really recommend that you do contact your doctor with your concerns.
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    I would definitely call the doctor. That heart rate is concerning. Are you following a vegan diet for medical reasons or personal preference? (If for medical reasons that are cardiovascular you might need to get to the ER if you continue to experience these symptoms)
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    I suggest you stop taking it for now. It is not a medication that you need to treat an actual ongoing medical problem like hypertension or diabetes so you can safely stop taking it until you talk to the doctor again. Make sure you stand up for yourself and don't let them bully into doing something that obviously makes you feel bad.

• AmyC2288
    AmyC2288 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I took Phentermine during three different periods over 10 years ago. Firstly I completely lost my appetite and had to force myself to eat. I ended up fainting 2 different times.

Secondly I regained any and all weight lost because I did not learn healthy habits.

I did not learn how many calories a day I needed to maintain the weight loss.

I did not learn which foods were satiating in order to not overeat.

I did not learn how to portion my snacks in order to mostly eat the foods I actually needed for good health.

I did not learn that if I have fast food that I may need to eat a lower calorie amount the rest of the day... in order not to regain.

Honestly that's just a small number of things I know now that I didn't know then. I wish I could have learned those lessons then because later I ended up much fatter than I had been.

I personally view Phentermine as a drug that was dangerous for me and I really recommend that you do contact your doctor with your concerns.

Was pretty much going to post the same things said here!