Prescribed Phentermine, but I'm worried...

Options
2»

Replies

• magnusthenerd
    magnusthenerd Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    smarziii wrote: »
    Hey everyone.

So my doctor prescribed Phentermine 30mg for 12 weeks to me on Tuesday. She told me she wanted me to drop 30 pounds in the next 3 months because of the amount I've gained so quickly. My gain, she said, was because of the Zoloft she prescribed me. She told me to take it once a day for the 3 months and sent me on my way.

I of course was ecstatic. I've never thought of using a weightloss pill before and I didn't ask her for one on Tuesday. But 30 pounds in 3 months with little effort??? Sign me up.

However after I took my first dose I felt funny, so I decided I'd look up the drug. I found lots of good things about people losing (and then regaining) weight, and I saw how dangerous this could be.

I can't believe she prescribed me this WHILE I'm taking Zoloft with NO meal plan or check up plan with me?!

I'm now stuck with what I should do. I took a dose yesterday and today, but my heart rate is freaking me out and I don't want to put myself in danger, but I also understand the risks of the weight I am.

She's been my doctor for 15 years. I'd rather not have to change, but this prescription is worrying me.

I know there are a lot of knowledgeable people here I was wondering if you had any advice? Should I power through? Or stop and ignore my doctor's advice about this.

I also want to apologize for the lack of diary. My physician recommended Cronometer for January because I am newly vegan and she wanted me to track food there to check my micros.

Calories -
    Tuesday: 890
    Wednesday: 590
    Thursday: 808

I know these are terribly low, but when I tried to eat more I got super nauseated and was afraid of throwing up. I don't want to eating this little, but maybe that's the point of Phentermine?

Weight: 230
    Height: 5'5"
    Blood pressure (day of prescription): 120/80
    RHR: 73
    Highest Heart Rate (while on meds just grocery shopping): 141

take a half pill, girl, WITH food. it will help TONS

Does phentermine come scored for taking a half pill? If a medication doesn't have a scored mark for halfing, it is inadvisable to half it. The active ingredients might not be evenly distributed.
  • xDanielleTaix
    xDanielleTaix Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    smarziii wrote: »
    Hey everyone.

So my doctor prescribed Phentermine 30mg for 12 weeks to me on Tuesday. She told me she wanted me to drop 30 pounds in the next 3 months because of the amount I've gained so quickly. My gain, she said, was because of the Zoloft she prescribed me. She told me to take it once a day for the 3 months and sent me on my way.

I of course was ecstatic. I've never thought of using a weightloss pill before and I didn't ask her for one on Tuesday. But 30 pounds in 3 months with little effort??? Sign me up.

However after I took my first dose I felt funny, so I decided I'd look up the drug. I found lots of good things about people losing (and then regaining) weight, and I saw how dangerous this could be.

I can't believe she prescribed me this WHILE I'm taking Zoloft with NO meal plan or check up plan with me?!

I'm now stuck with what I should do. I took a dose yesterday and today, but my heart rate is freaking me out and I don't want to put myself in danger, but I also understand the risks of the weight I am.

She's been my doctor for 15 years. I'd rather not have to change, but this prescription is worrying me.

I know there are a lot of knowledgeable people here I was wondering if you had any advice? Should I power through? Or stop and ignore my doctor's advice about this.

I also want to apologize for the lack of diary. My physician recommended Cronometer for January because I am newly vegan and she wanted me to track food there to check my micros.

Calories -
    Tuesday: 890
    Wednesday: 590
    Thursday: 808

I know these are terribly low, but when I tried to eat more I got super nauseated and was afraid of throwing up. I don't want to eating this little, but maybe that's the point of Phentermine?

Weight: 230
    Height: 5'5"
    Blood pressure (day of prescription): 120/80
    RHR: 73
    Highest Heart Rate (while on meds just grocery shopping): 141

take a half pill, girl, WITH food. it will help TONS

Does phentermine come scored for taking a half pill? If a medication doesn't have a scored mark for halfing, it is inadvisable to half it. The active ingredients might not be evenly distributed.

It's a capsule not a tablet or pill. I can't really half it...
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    I would definitely call the doctor. That heart rate is concerning. Are you following a vegan diet for medical reasons or personal preference? (If for medical reasons that are cardiovascular you might need to get to the ER if you continue to experience these symptoms)

I'm following a vegan diet for personal reasons. I don't have any history of cardiovascular issues.

I've called my doctor and set up another appointment for next week. I'm going to stop taking them in the mean time. Thank you everyone so much. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't being over dramatic.

Glad you are going back to your doctor. No, you weren't being dramatic :smile:

Does the Zoloft make you tired? You may have gained weight on it because it both increases your appetite and makes you less motivated to be active.

My brother takes mood stabilizers and antipsychotics known to cause an increase in appetite. When he was in a hospital setting, he gained weight while eating hospital food and not getting much exercise. Now that he is home, eating Mom's cooking, helping her with extensive yard work, and walking several miles per day, he lost all the weight he gained in the hospital and has maintained a healthy weight for over three years.

He doesn't count calories. He does eat lots of whole foods - fruits, veggies, legumes, whole grains, etc. There's very little, if any, junk food in the house.
  • xDanielleTaix
    xDanielleTaix Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I would definitely call the doctor. That heart rate is concerning. Are you following a vegan diet for medical reasons or personal preference? (If for medical reasons that are cardiovascular you might need to get to the ER if you continue to experience these symptoms)

I'm following a vegan diet for personal reasons. I don't have any history of cardiovascular issues.

I've called my doctor and set up another appointment for next week. I'm going to stop taking them in the mean time. Thank you everyone so much. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't being over dramatic.

Glad you are going back to your doctor. No, you weren't being dramatic :smile:

Does the Zoloft make you tired? You may have gained weight on it because it both increases your appetite and makes you less motivated to be active.

My brother takes mood stabilizers and antipsychotics known to cause an increase in appetite. When he was in a hospital setting, he gained weight while eating hospital food and not getting much exercise. Now that he is home, eating Mom's cooking, helping her with extensive yard work, and walking several miles per day, he lost all the weight he gained in the hospital and has maintained a healthy weight for over three years.

He doesn't count calories. He does eat lots of whole foods - fruits, veggies, legumes, whole grains, etc. There's very little, if any, junk food in the house.

Yes, Zoloft is certainly the reason for my gain, but the amount of help it has done for me is amazing. I have started to ween off of it since the New Year and I'm hoping my vegan diet will allow me to lose some weight. I used to be a huge snacker, but it's not easy being a snacker when I don't eat dairy or egg.

I know I need to lose weight, but I'd love to be able to be proud about how I do it.