How bad are artificial sweeteners? Splenda?

Options
13»

Replies

• Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    Gold within this here thread: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1308408/why-aspartame-isnt-scary/p1

If by wreaking havoc you mean able to drink a flavorful beverage without going over my caloric budget...

The testing that any drug or food additive has to go through is monumental and requires that no causative effects are associated within your subject population, but correlative effects as well.

That thread and this one= Mind. Blown. I've been taught that aspartame was the devil, equal causes cancer and that although it wasn't good either, Splenda was the best option besides Stevia if you can't take the aftertaste but that basically any artificial sweetener could do more harm than good, so for someone like me that loves sugar it's been hard to cope with cravings and I've avoided anything w aspartame, like Diet coke and sugar free candy, etc like the plague, being of the school of thought that if I needed a sugar or soda fix to just have the "regular sugar" stuff and allow for that in my daily calorie count. Maybe I should try it and see how it goes, I do have migraines already tho so hope it doesn't pick me to affect. Lol

Equal is just a brand name for aspartame.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,022 Member
    Options
    Do you think zero calorie artificial sweeteners create havoc on your diet?

No.

Not at all.

Did not drink them at all until starting my weight loss plan ( one thing I changed was regular soda to diet versions) - and lost weight to expected rate on recommended calorie allowance.

The type in sugar free candies does give me diahhroea - one or two is alright but any more causes issues.
    But the aspartame in diet sodas is fine.

I do occasionally get migraines but this is totally unrelated to Artificial sweeteners - the amount I get is no more than before I started drinking them.
  • magnusthenerd
    magnusthenerd Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    Gold within this here thread: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1308408/why-aspartame-isnt-scary/p1

If by wreaking havoc you mean able to drink a flavorful beverage without going over my caloric budget...

The testing that any drug or food additive has to go through is monumental and requires that no causative effects are associated within your subject population, but correlative effects as well.

That thread and this one= Mind. Blown. I've been taught that aspartame was the devil, equal causes cancer and that although it wasn't good either, Splenda was the best option besides Stevia if you can't take the aftertaste but that basically any artificial sweetener could do more harm than good, so for someone like me that loves sugar it's been hard to cope with cravings and I've avoided anything w aspartame, like Diet coke and sugar free candy, etc like the plague, being of the school of thought that if I needed a sugar or soda fix to just have the "regular sugar" stuff and allow for that in my daily calorie count. Maybe I should try it and see how it goes, I do have migraines already tho so hope it doesn't pick me to affect. Lol

I believe it was saccharin that had a cancer scare. The reason was because saccharin is associated with bladder cancer in rats, but then again so is vitamin C. Rats are prone to bladder cancer by mechanisms that aren't applicable to primates - which is why subsequent long term studies on primates found no link.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,366 Member
    Options

I believe it was saccharin that had a cancer scare. The reason was because saccharin is associated with bladder cancer in rats, but then again so is vitamin C. Rats are prone to bladder cancer by mechanisms that aren't applicable to primates - which is why subsequent long term studies on primates found no link.

That plus the fact that you would basically have to spend your entire day shoveling saccharin into your mouth to reach the serum levels that the poor little mousies were subjected to...
  • deetucker70
    deetucker70 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I drink a Diet Pepsi everyday. It doesn’t seem to cause any ill effect. I have recently started using Monkfruit sweetener in baking and in my coffee. It’s still a bit pricey, but much better tasting in my opinion than any of the artificial sweeteners.
  • daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    Both of the common artificial sweeteners cause me to have loose stools when I use more than 1 or 2 servings a day. I love my diet Pepsi. Pure Stevia does not have this effect for me so I use it when possible. I will have to try Monkfruit sweetener.