Is myfitnesspal healthy longterm?

I’m currently still in the process of losing weight(I have 11 more pounds to go), but I’m curious what other members do after they reach their weight goal. Is it (mentally)healthy to continue to use myfitnesspal on a day-to-day basis? I’m sure using myfitnesspal would be easy and pretty accurate but I’m wondering if that’s too restrictive. On the flip side, I’m also worried if I ditch myfitnesspal that I will revert to gaining weight due to not being able to see my calories.

What do you all recommend?

Replies

• kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    I’m currently still in the process of losing weight(I have 11 more pounds to go), but I’m curious what other members do after they reach their weight goal. Is it (mentally)healthy to continue to use myfitnesspal on a day-to-day basis? I’m sure using myfitnesspal would be easy and pretty accurate but I’m wondering if that’s too restrictive. On the flip side, I’m also worried if I ditch myfitnesspal that I will revert to gaining weight due to not being able to see my calories.

In what way do you find it too restrictive?

I would like to know this as well. I find using MFP to be quite the opposite.
  • foreverblissful
    foreverblissful Posts: 50 Member
    psychod787 wrote: »
    This is nothing more than a version of cognitive restraint..... research shows people who use some form of restraint or tracking have far better long term success... I'll take my odds with this tool.

Can you link me to one of these studies? Now I'm curious. :o
  • pkweier
    pkweier Posts: 349 Member
    I can't add anything to what the above posters have said they said it all. I know for me it keeps me on track after years of yo yo dieting.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member

In what way do you find it too restrictive?

Restrictive as in I've always heard health advocates say negative things about calorie counting tools(especially in reference to obsession), so I was wondering if continuing MFP was unheard of in the community. I know ultimately it depends on me, I just wasn't sure if that was something anyone even did.

Without knowing what these 'health advocates' actually say it's difficult to comment.

But if you personally find MFP useful for weight loss then at the moment that's all you need to know.
  • roachrypt
    roachrypt Posts: 34 Member
    I wouldn't say it's unhealthy, as other members have pointed out. Being proactive in your health - even after you reach your goals - can be normal and healthy. Keeping tabs on your caloric intake isn't unhealthy. However, there is a potential for obsession and addiction to weight loss and THOSE things can be unhealthy.
  • Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,902 Member
    Learning a healthy, sustainable life style regarding food >>>>obsessively dwelling on the growing spare tire around my waist.

I don't know who the "health advocates" are or exactly what they're saying, and roachrypt makes a good point, but I think to discount the actual results so many people are seeing with calorie counting due to some advocates opinion would be pointless.