Daily weigh-ins? Yes! What are your thoughts?

Replies

• OneRatGirl
    OneRatGirl Posts: 124 Member
    I'm doing daily weighing (I'm on the 10 days at a time thread too). It keeps my expectations reasonable and means I won't give up if I come up heavier one day. Works for me. Embracing my mildly obsessive nature instead of fighting it.
  • AutumLeaf
    AutumLeaf Posts: 126 Member
    The body naturally fluctuates everyday anyway so that's why I don't do it daily
  • iSneakers
    iSneakers Posts: 90 Member
    Every Friday morning is enough for me.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    I weigh daily and use Libra to track it - doesn't bother me what the daily numbers are, I just watch the trend.
  • SallyLuvsFitness
    SallyLuvsFitness Posts: 13,724 Member
    Daily!
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,135 Member
    Most of the time I weigh daily, but sometimes I may skip a couple of days since my weight is stable with minimal fluctuations (no hormones to blame). I don't use any app to register the readings or changes since I use the MFP website not the app (the only happy scale is the one under my feet :) ). I do make notes in my home page, but nobody reads the notes except moi.

The daily or mostly daily weigh in keeps me focus in my maintenance and helps me to be aware of any upward move of the scale, and deal with it immediately.
  • LovelySavannah
    LovelySavannah Posts: 145 Member
    Daily also! I know people always tell me it isn't healthy but for me, it helps me really understand how my body works and responds to something I did the day before. If my scale shows higher than the morning before then I know I need to look back and see what went wrong, usually it'll be from a workout that was too easy, not enough water, or did the calorie intake wrong (because I usually forget to count my cranberry juice or milk into my calorie counter). It helps me stay ontop of things 😊
  • roachrypt
    roachrypt Posts: 34 Member
    I like weekly weigh ins because I can see the downward spiral better. The weight loss is more visible numerically. With daily weigh ins I can be up and down at any moment.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    I am all for daily weigh-ins! For me, it holds me accountable on a daily basis. Others I have heard it discourages them; however, it doesn’t for me. I like to know wher I am at everyday, especially when I am trying to lose weight and achieve my goal!

I know others disagree, what do you think? Do you prefer daily or weekly weigh-ins?

I weigh daily but only update MFP occasionally. I don't find it particularly encouraging or discouraging. It's just become a regular habit now.

There's a thread on here which runs in 10 day intervals, and I post the daily results there. Here's the current round - https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10723651/just-give-me-10-days-round-67/p8
  • SallyLuvsFitness
    Daily also! I know people always tell me it isn't healthy but for me, it helps me really understand how my body works and responds to something I did the day before. If my scale shows higher than the morning before then I know I need to look back and see what went wrong, usually it'll be from a workout that was too easy, not enough water, or did the calorie intake wrong (because I usually forget to count my cranberry juice or milk into my calorie counter). It helps me stay ontop of things 😊

I agree! I use to be in the habit of weighing myself everyday and I stayed at my goal weight. I also knew I was making the right choices by eating healthy and working out. Over the last three years, I stopped weighing myself everyday because I knew I was drinking more wine, not working out as hard, still eating pretty healthy etc... I let those fourteen pounds creep back up on me. I would weigh myself every other week approximately.

I am back on track! I like to see how I am doing and weigh daily. I actually look forward to seeing where I am at!!! It doesn’t discourage me if I am up because I know what may be causing it, diet..water retention etc...
  • LovelySavannah
    LovelySavannah Posts: 145 Member
    edited February 2019

I agree! I use to be in the habit of weighing myself everyday and I stayed at my goal weight. I also knew I was making the right choices by eating healthy and working out. Over the last three years, I stopped weighing myself everyday because I knew I was drinking more wine, not working out as hard, still eating pretty healthy etc... I let those fourteen pounds creep back up on me. I would weigh myself every other week approximately.

I am back on track! I like to see how I am doing and weigh daily. I actually look forward to seeing where I am at!!! It doesn’t discourage me if I am up because I know what may be causing it, diet..water retention etc...

Exactly! It's so much more discouraging when I don't look at the scale then be surprised by the lbs added than it is for one day the scale is high because I know exactly what caused it. Even if I have a cheat day, I still weigh myself the next morning just to see how much I've gained so I can work with it. I don't get mad/happy about what the scale shows, I just like it so I know what direction my body is taking before it's too late then have to prolong my weight loss journey.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    edited February 2019
    I've weighed daily, every few days, and once a week in the past. It really depends on how many data points you like, and if you can handle the inevitable fluctuations (these are a factor with weekly weigh-ins just as much as daily).

However, the idea that daily weigh-ins holds a person "accountable" for short-term choices- i.e., going over a few hundred calories a day or two before- is silly, IMO. Those numbers have nothing to do with fat gain or loss, only water. It's only what a person consistently does over the course of many days that has any bearing on their weight management and requires action.
  • JohnHumkey
    JohnHumkey Posts: 3 Member
    I weigh daily to reinforce why I am on the journey to lose weigh and stay in shape. I weigh first thing of the day. I have been doing this for so long that i know my body and often guess my weight within a half pound before I get on the scale.
  • StephSuter2508
    StephSuter2508 Posts: 31 Member
    I weigh weekly, because I fluctuate so much day to day it is pointless and teaches me nothing.

The morning after a big training session I can lose 2-3lbs just in dehydration, I once lost 6lbs overnight from a night out on wine and tequila.

Some people get excited when they lose 2lbs overnight not realising its physically impossible to burn off 2lbs of fat in 24 hours, so a daily weigh in can lead to some really unhealthy ways of thinking.

I ensure that my weekly weigh in is on a Monday morning 5.30am when I get up for work, after my morning pee before I have eaten or drank anything. I don't drink alchohol on a Sunday so I know I can trust it if I have had a loss from the week before

Everyone is different though, this is what works for me
  • euronorris
    euronorris Posts: 211 Member
    I weigh daily. I find it motivating. My official weigh in is on a Monday morning. If I have had a cheat meal, or been drinking on the Friday or Saturday, that can often be reflected in a blip in the scale on Monday morning, but be back down again the next day. If I didn't weigh every day, I wouldn't see it dropping again so quickly and could easily get disheartened by what is only a little blip. Same for when TOM arrives around weigh in day (as it did this week).

For example, attended sister's 40th birthday party on Sat night (so drank alcohol) and TOM hit on Monday morning. When I weighed on Sat morning I was 181.4lbs. When I weighed on Monday morning I was 183lbs (a gain of 0.2lbs on last week's weigh in). But already, this morning, I am back down to 181.8lbs. If I hadn't done the extra weigh ins, I would've been really disheartened by that gain. But because I have the extra data, I am able to see it for what it is - a blip, a daily fluctuation, nothing more.
  • stephieleee
    stephieleee Posts: 113 Member
    I weigh myself most days. I find it interesting to see how my body responds to stuff through water weight gain and loss etc.

I have considered following a weight tracking app, but I'm worried that could make me a little obsessive, so I'll just stick with what I'm doing for now.

I think daily weighing is good for helping you understand that your weight is not static, but if you get triggered easily by the number then maybe not.
  • SallyLuvsFitness
    I LOVE the Happy Scale app, it’s free. Shows your weekly trends and forecasts out your weight based on your historical history! Weighing daily has really kept me on track! Thus far since Jan 1, I have lost 7.5 pounds! I use to weigh myself daily and remained within my target for several years. The last three year I wasn’t as disciplined and slowly gained 15 pounds. I am headed back to my goal weight!
  • cooperscuba
    cooperscuba Posts: 3 Member
    Once a month on a Boditrax machine.
  • SallyLuvsFitness
    I am glad that I am back on track weighing myself daily. It continues to help motivate me on a daily basis!!!

I have given up drinking (Dry Jan/few days in Feb) to help hit my goal weight without extra unnecessary calories. This week I haven’t loss and working out, eating right; however, I have had wine Vday and some extra things. We had a golf tournament, etc. Regardless...getting to my point.

By weighing daily it helps focus on what I need to do today! I will monitor my calories closer, put an extra effort when I workout today 🏋️‍♀️🏌️‍♀️💃👍🙋‍♀️ and happy to see the scale reflect the changes I am making. Also, helps motivate me to continue NOT drinking. But win!