Anyone cutting after a bulk?

Replies

• mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    I've lost 6lbs over the past couple of weeks due to stress. I wanted to lean out, but not like that. I lost 0.8lbs the first two weeks of Jan with a planned, slow loss. The rest dropped off in the past 10 days or so. I pretty much lost most of the gains I had made over the past year. I'm not too upset as I wasn't intentionally wanting to put on mass, but it was a nice side effect and I would have been happy to keep some of it.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,443 Member
    I've lost 6lbs over the past couple of weeks due to stress. I wanted to lean out, but not like that. I lost 0.8lbs the first two weeks of Jan with a planned, slow loss. The rest dropped off in the past 10 days or so. I pretty much lost most of the gains I had made over the past year. I'm not too upset as I wasn't intentionally wanting to put on mass, but it was a nice side effect and I would have been happy to keep some of it.

Bummer. I'd gladly take your loss for you. Still bouncing around 190. Ugh.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,373 MFP Moderator

Bummer. I'd gladly take your loss for you. Still bouncing around 190. Ugh.

I feel your pain. Not sure if its because i am fighting a bug or what but i have been stuck at 181. Had one day at 179 but outside of that, it hasn't moved. I have even been real good with logging and limiting going out. I may try a few lower carb days just to see if that helps. It seemed when i was cycling, my body was more willing to cut weight. It just made compliance harder.
  • psuLemon
    So i might have to get crazy and run PSMF or potentially keto. With the exception of the first 3 lbs, my weight just hasn't wanted to move. With the exception of a few days my compliance has been real good. Still pretty motivated and have seen composition improvements. But i want to get leaner before the summer and its already February.
  • quiksylver296
    psuLemon wrote: »
    So i might have to get crazy and run PSMF or potentially keto. With the exception of the first 3 lbs, my weight just hasn't wanted to move. With the exception of a few days my compliance has been real good. Still pretty motivated and have seen composition improvements. But i want to get leaner before the summer and its already February.

You said the K word. :noway: :wink:

I was back down to 187.8 today. I've got to stay on track through the weekend. Meet is two weeks from tomorrow, 2.5 lbs to go.
  • psuLemon

I was back down to 187.8 today. I've got to stay on track through the weekend. Meet is two weeks from tomorrow, 2.5 lbs to go.

Tell me about it. I am wondering if the increase in fats would improve things. I am generally pretty high carb year round. So thinking running the opposite of what i am doing and following a more strict diet might help. Its possible i might be more low carb than keto. It depends on if i feel like i can give up my daily quest bar.
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member

That sounds doable!
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    About 210 even though been out of the gym for a week. I had to travel to PA for a family emergency and ate out every day. Didn’t track but managed to maintain. I don’t look horrible yet so may bulk another 10 pounds - still have abs if you squint :wink: ... I’ll decide after a couple more weeks of lifting.
  • jdog022
    jdog022 Posts: 694 Member
    Haven’t posted in here since I began my bulk but come March I hope to be back. By hope I mean I unfortunately got hurt at the top of my bulk. Absolute worst time for that to happen because I’m not all that thrilled with how I look, lost strength and some muscle and I can’t lift upper body at all and haven’t in 8 weeks or so.

I came down with an overuse condition termed distal clavicle osteolosis. Also known as weight lifters shoulder. In retro spec I trained to heavy on bench and OHP for to long and to many days per week. Maybe bad form on bench. Once I realized I wasn’t fighting thru normal pain it was to late. Took a cortisone shot last week and it’s helped but staying off upper body for 6 more total weeks to see what next steps are.

So I don’t know.. I’ve read not to cut if I can’t lift. I’ll be really upset if I’m stuck here and then need surgery too.
  • Silkysausage
    Silkysausage Posts: 502 Member
    edited February 2019
    I really did think that cutting at 1500 was going to be hard but it's truly ok...and I mean the volume of food.

I'm not feeling deprived, in fact the next meal or snack is right around the corner at the right time.

Not sure I'd want to go any lower though 😶
  • quiksylver296

186.6 this morning. Didn't do too bad over the weekend.

1.2 lbs to go in 12 days.
  • StargazerB
    StargazerB Posts: 425 Member
    I really did think that cutting at 1500 was going to be hard but it's truly ok...and I mean the volume of food.

I'm not feeling deprived, in fact the next meal or snack is right around the corner at the right time.

Not sure I'd want to go any lower though 😶

It's hard for me and I'm cutting at 1600. I get headaches if I'm hungry, it sucks.
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    jdog022 wrote: »
    Haven’t posted in here since I began my bulk but come March I hope to be back. By hope I mean I unfortunately got hurt at the top of my bulk. Absolute worst time for that to happen because I’m not all that thrilled with how I look, lost strength and some muscle and I can’t lift upper body at all and haven’t in 8 weeks or so.

I came down with an overuse condition termed distal clavicle osteolosis. Also known as weight lifters shoulder. In retro spec I trained to heavy on bench and OHP for to long and to many days per week. Maybe bad form on bench. Once I realized I wasn’t fighting thru normal pain it was to late. Took a cortisone shot last week and it’s helped but staying off upper body for 6 more total weeks to see what next steps are.

So I don’t know.. I’ve read not to cut if I can’t lift. I’ll be really upset if I’m stuck here and then need surgery too.

Ouch. Sorry to hear about this... are you considering surgery? From what I've read the outcome is usually very good with a return to full activity after 3 months.
  • billkansas
    billkansas Posts: 267 Member

I suffered through shoulder problems for a year. If you can adjust exercises (range of motion or weight lifted) such that they don't aggravate the shoulder- I'd do that. For example, I found that I could overhead press as long as the bar path did not drop below the top of my head. I think you should baby your shoulder- however that doesn't always mean complete rest. Best wishes.

• jdog022
    jdog022 Posts: 694 Member
    edited February 2019
    jseams1234 wrote: »

Ouch. Sorry to hear about this... are you considering surgery? From what I've read the outcome is usually very good with a return to full activity after 3 months.

I honestly don’t know. I can’t be in a sling for really any period of time. Would be very difficult to work a computer as effectively as I need to every day. And I have very young children who still have to be picked up all the time for high chairs and diapers. My wife would take it all on but it would be stressful.

At this point I’m hoping shots can buy me a few years. My Dr is more optimistic then I am and says I could likely recover with rest. I fear I’ll feel better , try to bench and just be in a cycle where I never progress. I’ve already had a torn labrum in this shoulder which I had open Surgery from but that was 18 years ago but yeah I hear this is nothing like that.

Right now my plan is picking up nothing heavy for two weeks. I’m over a week in. So Doing all machines for legs 3x a week. I’ve been doing some light band work like dislocates and pull aparts. Then I’ll try adding in some rows and run that for a few weeks and then try light pushing. Maybe bench with foam block or floor presses to limit ROM
  • dozenmonkeyz
    dozenmonkeyz Posts: 150 Member
    Haven't been around lately as I spent the last 4-5 months faux-bulking (getting fat while lifting) and managed to get back around 220Lbs. Just finished week 2 of a 6 week cycle on PSMF/RFL. Down 5lbs of my weekly average weight and that's after a large & fatty refeed during the super bowl yesterday. Hasn't been bad to keep to the diet other than missing my Sailor Jerry on Friday & Saturday evenings. Goal is to run 6 weeks and hope to lose 15-20Lbs, then take a week or two off (conveniently over St Patty's day weekend :smiley: ) and then run another 6 week cycle to finish off the cut and be ready for summer.

Glad to see a lot of familiar faces still here grinding it out. Lot's of good progress!
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    edited February 2019
    jseams1234 wrote: »

I honestly don’t know. I can’t be in a sling for really any period of time. Would be very difficult to work a computer as effectively as I need to every day. And I have very young children who still have to be picked up all the time for high chairs and diapers. My wife would take it all on but it would be stressful.

At this point I’m hoping shots can buy me a few years. My Dr is more optimistic then I am and says I could likely recover with rest. I fear I’ll feel better , try to bench and just be in a cycle where I never progress. I’ve already had a torn labrum in this shoulder which I had open Surgery from but that was 18 years ago but yeah I hear this is nothing like that.

Right now my plan is picking up nothing heavy for two weeks. I’m over a week in. So Doing all machines for legs 3x a week. I’ve been doing some light band work like dislocates and pull aparts. Then I’ll try adding in some rows and run that for a few weeks and then try light pushing. Maybe bench with foam block or floor presses to limit ROM

Best of luck to you. I dealt with that last year. I no longer bench or OHP. In fact I laid off all pressing for about a year. I just did pull, pull, pull and lots and lots of band rotator cuff work and scapular strengthening. I did straight arm work and static holds to work the pecs and biceps. I’ve recently added back in pushups and dips in moderation and so far so good. I hope you can avoid surgery.