Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    sardelsa wrote: »
    Week 1 update....

SW: 182.5
    Week 1:181.8

Not too shabby. I actually feel pretty sore from my new workout, so I suspect there is a good amount of water weight currently. Starting week 2 today. So back to low carb/keto.

Week 2: 180.3

I am happy with a little over a lb a week. If I can sustain that rate, I should be around my goal in another 11 weeks (includes a 1 week diet break).

I am actually surprised by this considering I missed workout after hearing something pop in my hip flexor on the first *kitten* move! Can't do legs, so I pushed hard on upper body. On a sad note, my gym is closed this weekend due to annual maintenance, so hoping I can play a bunch of tennis to help with burning some calories.

Nice weight drop! Sorry to hear about your hip, how are you feeling now?

I'm still going over here... weight drop is very slow and steady, but that is OK with me... visual changes are finally showing, woohoo! Started some new programming (still a 3-4 day full body glute focus) so far so good. Diet is.. well I think I might need to work on that a bit. I am losing weight, I do feel great... but I just feel like I need to moderate certain things a bit better ( :# ), also get more fruit and veg in and focus more on my protein intake on weekends (which get a little wild...so gotta work on that). :p

Hip is slowly recovering. I played some light tennis and it held up well today.

My biggest thing is, I need to find me some good keto desserts or at least low carb. I honestly I have no clue how people do this long term... I miss fruit and I only keto 4 days a week. Come one Thursday... i got some fresh grapes, kiwi, mango and peaches waiting!!!!

See that is one thing that wouldn't bother me. Fruit is meh I will only eat it if it is in front of me or else I have to try really hard to eat it. What about instead of dessert a savory snack on those days? Can you have cured meats and some cheese or is that a no in keto?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Week 1 update....

Not too shabby. I actually feel pretty sore from my new workout, so I suspect there is a good amount of water weight currently. Starting week 2 today. So back to low carb/keto.

Week 2: 180.3

I am happy with a little over a lb a week. If I can sustain that rate, I should be around my goal in another 11 weeks (includes a 1 week diet break).

I am actually surprised by this considering I missed workout after hearing something pop in my hip flexor on the first *kitten* move! Can't do legs, so I pushed hard on upper body. On a sad note, my gym is closed this weekend due to annual maintenance, so hoping I can play a bunch of tennis to help with burning some calories.

Nice weight drop! Sorry to hear about your hip, how are you feeling now?

I'm still going over here... weight drop is very slow and steady, but that is OK with me... visual changes are finally showing, woohoo! Started some new programming (still a 3-4 day full body glute focus) so far so good. Diet is.. well I think I might need to work on that a bit. I am losing weight, I do feel great... but I just feel like I need to moderate certain things a bit better ( :# ), also get more fruit and veg in and focus more on my protein intake on weekends (which get a little wild...so gotta work on that). :p

Hip is slowly recovering. I played some light tennis and it held up well today.

My biggest thing is, I need to find me some good keto desserts or at least low carb. I honestly I have no clue how people do this long term... I miss fruit and I only keto 4 days a week. Come one Thursday... i got some fresh grapes, kiwi, mango and peaches waiting!!!!

See that is one thing that wouldn't bother me. Fruit is meh I will only eat it if it is in front of me or else I have to try really hard to eat it. What about instead of dessert a savory snack on those days? Can you have cured meats and some cheese or is that a no in keto?

This is what I live off of mainly, especially some KerryGold cheese. And I still incorporate my Quest bar.
  • AmbitiousButRubbish
    AmbitiousButRubbish Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Figure I'd share some progress since I haven't in a while. I am sitting around 135lbs (I am 5'7). The really cool thing is I am maintaining my curves this time around, and as I get leaner I don't feel as scrawny and deflated... I feel great and it actually looks like I have put work in. Makes me feel like I have been doing things right all these years. Phew! ;)

zv6zn6wqmbqo.jpg

Amazing job. Definitely an inspiration
  • Tic78
    Tic78 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    @sardelsa 💪💪💪 great work 👍
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    @sardelsa Awesome progress! I know you are highlighting keeping your curves but those calves are amazing!
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Thank you @AmbitiousButRubbish , @Tic78 and @bioklutz .. haha the calves are pretty much all genetic, I actually avoid working them directly :p
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Figure I'd share some progress since I haven't in a while. I am sitting around 135lbs (I am 5'7). The really cool thing is I am maintaining my curves this time around, and as I get leaner I don't feel as scrawny and deflated... I feel great and it actually looks like I have put work in. Makes me feel like I have been doing things right all these years. Phew! ;)

zv6zn6wqmbqo.jpg

Great job.
  • sardelsa
    Options

zv6zn6wqmbqo.jpg

Great job.

Thank you @psuLemon :)
  • Valentinogomez
    Valentinogomez Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Hey all,

I am about to start cutting in a few weeks, just wondering if anyone else is in the same boat.. either currently cutting or about to start. Would love to talk about different techniques (calorie cycling, refeeds, diet breaks), macros, calories, program modifications (if any) that you go with while you lean down.

I am wrapping up a 7 month bulk where I gained13-14lbs. I will probably cut for about 3 months, to lose 6-8lbs

I am going to spend about a week at maintenance tapering the calories down, then go into a fairly slower cut... 0.5lb per week or so. I usually keep my protein at 1-1.2g per lb, and I calorie/carb cycle, so I have two low days, three moderate days and two high days. I don't track very often (the odd meal or just protein sometimes) so it is mostly a guesstimate. I am going to try to implement more diet breaks this time, at least one in the middle to give myself a bit of a break.
    My training I keep about the same, maybe do a bit more strength, but I don't touch it too much.

Curious to know what you all do!

Definetly, same here did a bulk kind of over did it in the calories. Got very strong but along with that I accumulated a lot of body fat. No problem though, I learned from my mistakes. However now that I am pretty positive I got my nutrition down. I currently at 210g protein + 200g carbs and 50g of fat on workout days at about 2100 calories. consuming about 1800 on off days with 210 G +protein little over 100g carbs and fat stay same or tad bit over.

Now I am 6'4 and 205lbs now and I currently work at a sit down job. So I had over time to adjust my calories to figure out where I sit as far as how much I should consume. IF I ate around 2500 calories I still would not losing body fat. So I dropped down to 2100 and I noticed I'm losing weight a tad bit fast. My strength is doing ok and I do not feel fatigue but Ill keep it down to here until other wise. I am looking forward to losing the body fat which I know is easy to lose but its keeping on the muscle that difficult part. Can never be to sure if I'm eating to less or if I am eating more then I should but I have started adding light cardio walking, 15min jump rope pretty light not hardcore. My walks are consistent when I go for a second session to the gym to stretch, then of coarse walk back home.
  • Valentinogomez
    Options
    @dill_milk yea that is a mini cut, a little on the aggressive side, just make sure you aren't losing more than 1% of your bodyweight per week reduce excess muscle loss (unless you don't mind)

@Davidsdottir oh wow you are lucky! That was like my first bulk, I gained 10lbs and felt like I didn't need to cut, I recomped for a few months then decided to do a small cut before a vacation.

@Alexson50 sounds like a great plan and similar to how I do things!

Good luck everyone!

gosh that second one got me all worried cause I lost 5lbs in 2 days. My weightloss has not been 1lb a week like I was expecting So when I say 5lb drop I was like.. damn. But like I mention no loss in strength just yet but we will see ugh..
  • sardelsa
    Options
    @dill_milk yea that is a mini cut, a little on the aggressive side, just make sure you aren't losing more than 1% of your bodyweight per week reduce excess muscle loss (unless you don't mind)

@Davidsdottir oh wow you are lucky! That was like my first bulk, I gained 10lbs and felt like I didn't need to cut, I recomped for a few months then decided to do a small cut before a vacation.

Good luck everyone!

gosh that second one got me all worried cause I lost 5lbs in 2 days. My weightloss has not been 1lb a week like I was expecting So when I say 5lb drop I was like.. damn. But like I mention no loss in strength just yet but we will see ugh..

It's normal to lose fast in the beginning.. less food, water weight etc. Keep paying attention to your trends and if after a few weeks it's still that fast just decrease your deficit. For most people it slows down.
  • Valentinogomez
    Options

Good luck everyone!

It's normal to lose fast in the beginning.. less food, water weight etc. Keep paying attention to your trends and if after a few weeks it's still that fast just decrease your deficit. For most people it slows down.

Yah thats the good thing about being in the habit of logging into MFP definitely will be able to keep track of whats working and what is not working, whats to much and whats to little thank goodness!
  • sardelsa
    Options
    I feel like my cut is so drawn out. By the time I get to goal it will likely be about 4.5-5 months (including a diet break in there), almost as long as my bulk. I don't think I've ever cut this long or this much after a bulk. Not sure why.. it's not as if I gained too much or I'm losing that slow either.

Wondering if this is normal or if you guys just get in and out with your cuts.
  • Tic78
    Options
    is7yh4wqiu44.png

I feel like mine is drawn out as well. Wishing I hadn’t went on a mini bulk in Jan it has just dragged this whole process out.

On the plus side this is lightest I have been in 10+ years. Considering going to recomp when I get to 165. Maybe even a slow bulk.

• steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,216 Member
    Options
    I feel like my cut is so drawn out. By the time I get to goal it will likely be about 4.5-5 months (including a diet break in there), almost as long as my bulk. I don't think I've ever cut this long or this much after a bulk. Not sure why.. it's not as if I gained too much or I'm losing that slow either.

Wondering if this is normal or if you guys just get in and out with your cuts.

The short answer as I've sort of done both, however I struggle to get leaner than what I'd estimate to be ~12% body fat and I'm really just bad at cutting. I started weighing daily last July after recomping and/or lean bulking for the first six months of '17 coming back from time off for a lower back injury. After the first week or so getting things dialed in on the TDEE sheet I saw a pretty sharp drop which slowed, but consistently lost for about 13 weeks into mid October, a total of about 7lbs; ~183 to 176, average deficit of a whopping 156 calories/day (hey, I said I was bad at cutting). Loss rate leveled off as my deficit evaporated and I pretty well maintained through the end of the year. 178.4 on 1/1/18 after holiday tomfoolery, but hit 170.2 on 1/21 and stayed 170-173 through mid march.
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,216 Member
    Options
    Tic78 wrote: »
    is7yh4wqiu44.png

I feel like mine is drawn out as well. Wishing I hadn’t went on a mini bulk in Jan it has just dragged this whole process out.

On the plus side this is lightest I have been in 10+ years. Considering going to recomp when I get to 165. Maybe even a slow bulk.

Nice work, I'd much rather have your graph than mine.
    wbosyuqi1el2.png

Growing up overweight I don't let myself get much heavier than 180 or so and I eat too much to get any lighter than 170 it seems.
  • sardelsa
    Options
    Thanks @Tic78 and @steveko89 for sharing.

My graph looks like this, from bulk to now. It looks pretty discouraging like I am heading back to where I started from, even though i know progress was made.
    0hs8w426kbe1.jpg

• Tic78
    Options
    @sardelsa I wouldn’t be discouraged, your pictures earlier in the thread showed just how well you are doing 💪

I think we just get discouraged by the length of time in a deficit!

@steveko89 thanks for sharing your graph, looks impressive to me. Also with your bf % you wouldn’t have much to drop if you could bare to tighten the deficit a little but sitting at 12% is a great place to maintain 👍

It’s funny on my graph my first cut was at 1800 cals per day, the second one I am going between 2200-2350 per week and consistently losing 0.5-1lb week. I did change my workouts which has raised my tdee. It’s the length of time more than the deficit that’s getting me. I also had been on a 2 year break from lifting so although I have had muscle memory gains I really have been in a deficit for far too long and wonder if after such a break will I get newbie gains again? I had lifted for 6/7 years continuously before my break