February 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,014 Member
    Options
    Okay, got my first "run" in of the month! I suppose I'll just log my miles in like so:

2/5/19 W5 D1 Couch 2 5k
    2.36 Miles in 32.59 Minutes

This was the first one where I ran 5 minutes walked 3 minutes. And I am proud to say I killed it! Last week I was struggling to hit the second 3 minute and 5 minute runs. I am super nervous about day 2. It says I am supposed to run 8 minutes in a row. The last time I ran that long I think was high school. So we shall see. I hope I surprise myself. But my lungs quiver at the thought. :lol:

The plan is designed so that each step up is a reasonable challenge. So by following the plan, you CAN do it, and in a real way, not like "you can do anything" kind of way :) As others have said, there's no need to hurry, if needed run as slowly as you can without walking - just get it done.
    Group question: On Sunday, I had a conversation with a personal trainer and member of the group I run with. I was complaining about recently regaining some weight and having to cut stupid calories again. I REALLY struggle with not eating all the things.

I mentioned how I could happily exercise all day long. Running is the easy part. She disagrees with me. She said for most of her clients, exercise is the hard part and dieting is much easier (although still hard). Thoughts? Am I the only crazy one who who finds dieting SO MUCH HARDER?

I am with you. The food choices are the hard part by far.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Group question: On Sunday, I had a conversation with a personal trainer and member of the group I run with. I was complaining about recently regaining some weight and having to cut stupid calories again. I REALLY struggle with not eating all the things.

I mentioned how I could happily exercise all day long. Running is the easy part. She disagrees with me. She said for most of her clients, exercise is the hard part and dieting is much easier (although still hard). Thoughts? Am I the only crazy one who who finds dieting SO MUCH HARDER?

I think the difference boils down to whether or not you've found a form of exercise you genuinely enjoy (more often than not, at least). If I didn't love running and lifting weights, I would say dieting is definitely easier than exercise.

I think this is spot on.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options

I see what you are saying here. I have been having a hard time cutting my calories during this running adventure I'm on. As soon as I ramp up my exercise intensity I want to eat ALL THE THINGS. Calorie cycling of sorts seems to work best for me. I eat at maintenance until my appetite settles down. I restrict while I can, and then it's back to maintenance when the hunger montser shows back up. Also, ensuring I get enough protien has been benificial to keeping the hungries at bay too.

Oh yeah, and the "which one is easier" question definitely has to take into account whether one makes the other more difficult. I believe that, for most people, regular exercise makes it easier to maintain a steady weight but does not necessarily make losing weight easier, and for a lot of people regular intense exercise can make losing weight more difficult (or cutting calories can make regular exercise more difficult). I've basically been in maintenance since I started running regularly last spring. I've decided to embrace that and enjoy what my body can do at this weight but it does get a little awkward when people assume that my weight loss must be due to my running.
  • martaindale
    martaindale Posts: 2,126 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options

Like others have said, the trick for me to finding the exercise easy was finding an exercise I really wanted to do. Now it's a habit and I find it easy. Otherwise I find dieting easier. I tend to get in a groove and it just becomes the way I eat. Now that I am running more I am noticing the runger, but it's usually the day after a run when I am ravenous. So, I budget for an extra snack on those days, so I'm eating like 6 times a day, but that seems to work.
    I was at a deficit, albeit a small one, for almost a year to lose the weight. I was running that whole time. I definitely run more now, but only recently upped my calories to maintenance. Maybe the very small deficit and slowly but surely approach was why it wasn't too hard to do both.
  • KerrieA87
    KerrieA87 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    4/2 - 10km
    5/2 - 7.5km

Total 17.5km out of 40
  • Sparx_81
    Sparx_81 Posts: 403 Member
    Options

I can't diet for the life of me! I loooove cooking, and enjoy eating what I cook! It's rarely unhealthy food, but I always eat too much of it! Like at the moment my thing is sourdough bread! So home made sourdough bread, no crappy ingredients, served with home made tagine....

Exercise?! Could easily stay in the gym all day, or get on my bike and do 50miles, or head out for 10k run!
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    I've spent most of 2017 doing fitness blender and a deficit - using mindful eating for the first 6 months. I only picked up Mfp in about June when I hit a plateau, figured out why I hit a plateau (snack creep) stopped using mfp and went back to mindful earing. I lost 20kg (about 45lb). In 2018 I started running in earnest, and that's when my deficit fell apart. I also had a contraceptive implant put in at the end on 2017 and the combination caused my appetite to skyrocket during 2018. Over eating was definitely the hard part then. Exercise was easy - because I had things I loved doing and ligetally got up early for. I basically maintained in 2018 gaining and losing the same 5kg (10ish lb).

I took the implant out late last year - too many side effects - and my eating overall is better and has got back under better and easier to control - except for Christmas (sigh). I've now lost the Christmas weight fairly easily, and am now concentrating on my ultimate goal weight this year. I got so close early last year, within 2kg (4.5lb) but lost it as the hormones got worse and worse.

I had my IUD removed for overeating purposes, also. I was out of control ravenous!