bullied at the gym

13»

Replies

• Katiebear_81
    Katiebear_81 Posts: 719 Member
    Fyi, there's a fine line between criticism and harassment. If this happens regularly, especially with repeat offenders, it's harassment- report them to the front desk. Make note of the time, place and what happened.

Also: being the recipient of harassment once isn't being bullied. If your harasser showed up regularly to abuse you, then you are being bullied. If we're talking about what words mean, then I thought we could also talk about the word bullied. :)

• Kimmotion5783
    Kimmotion5783 Posts: 417 Member
    You make a good point.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    I just give them the.....EYE.... that seems to help. I also have a beard. I think that might help with my limited fear ability. Besides telling to screw off, grow a beard maybe? Lol
  • StephSuter2508
    StephSuter2508 Posts: 31 Member
    Its a reflection of that couple not of general gym members behaviours. At my gym mobile phone calls / texting is band, we are only allowed phones if being used as an ipod,

Everyone at my gym are helpful and friendly, I wanted to try chest press on the free weights area but I couldn't work out how to get the bench down to a flat position, a guy watched me struggle for a bit, put his weights down and came over to help, he showed me where the handle was and how to get it to flat. That is how most people are in gyms, we share kit, if we are using a machine that someone else wants on they will ask and we will give them a heads up when we are on our final set,

My advice is to get some decent headphones, a good playlist and blank out the snooty haters
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    A Buddhist tip I just learned is that the endless reflection on what I could have done doesn’t help. By reflecting on the incident I have essentially invited those bullies to live in my brain.

Truly, madame turtleneck and her snide partner can go take a dive in to a deep snow bank.

I suggest if you run in to an incident like that again, do whatever feels best at the time whether it is walk away, talk to the manager, or tell them to mind their own business. But regardless of your choice, keep your head held high. Don’t take the submissive position.

http://changingminds.org/techniques/body/submissive_body.htm

• Were you using speakerphone???
  • Soccermavrick
    Soccermavrick Posts: 405 Member
    First, taking the treadmill next to you is probably nothing. I have my preferred Treadmill, I have a second or third choice too, but have have a preferred one. I do not care that 5 or 10 others are open, if that one is open that is the one I am going to. (And from taking to friends I know a lot of people have preferred machines as well. Sometime the machines run slightly differently, sometimes one machines H/R monitor works, sometimes it is the programming on the TV.)

The talking on the phone? Yeah it is a pet peeve for a lot of people. If you are tying up a machine, you are adding to the peeve. I do NOT answer the phone at the gym, if it is an emergency they text me and I walk outside or to an area and call back. So the fact that someone called you on it, it happens.

In this case I would say you just need to shake it off. If it happens repeatedly, then that is harassment and then you might need to talk to management or bring a friend.
  • LiLee2018
    LiLee2018 Posts: 1,389 Member
    edited February 2019
    Maybe they were hoping to scam the gym somehow. Get in to some sort of confrontation with someone else and then go complain about it until they get like free membership time or something. Seriously no other reason for anyone to do anything like that... or they could've just been a-holes.

Don't let people like that get to you. If it happens again, just stare them down and then go to an employee and complain about them quickly before they can leave. People like that just... grr.. get on my nerves.

Grrr.... dang old threads!!