Do not totally rely on the scale!

Options
This is for anybody that puts all their faith in the number on the scale. Do not only rely on the scale for your results. The scale will show you as a different weight every single day. Only use it as information for beginning and then don't get obsessed with it. If you don't believe me, weigh every day and notice how it's not reliable.
The scale will show that I gained 3 pounds in one day, then 1 pound lower the next, then 2 pounds higher the day after that. Take measurements. Look at your body and notice if your belly looks smaller or if your thighs look thinner, etc. Notice how that dress falls better over your hips than it used to before you started this journey. Then if your scale shows an overnight 5 pound weight gain you won't be discouraged and give up.

Replies

• patrickaa5
    patrickaa5 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Also, the scales themselves can be unreliable. My last scale would show a 1lb difference depending on if I got on it putting my right foot first vs. left foot. So, in order to get a consistent reading I had to weigh the same time everyday, leave the scale in one place and not move it, AND always step on with my left foot first! I finally ended up throwing out that scale and bought a new one in order to save my sanity.
  • vanityy99
    vanityy99 Posts: 2,583 Member
    Options
    bekahlou75 wrote: »
    This is for anybody that puts all their faith in the number on the scale. Do not only rely on the scale for your results. The scale will show you as a different weight every single day. Only use it as information for beginning and then don't get obsessed with it. If you don't believe me, weigh every day and notice how it's not reliable.
    The scale will show that I gained 3 pounds in one day, then 1 pound lower the next, then 2 pounds higher the day after that. Take measurements. Look at your body and notice if your belly looks smaller or if your thighs look thinner, etc. Notice how that dress falls better over your hips than it used to before you started this journey. Then if your scale shows an overnight 5 pound weight gain you won't be discouraged and give up.

Agree with the annoying fluctuations.
    I like to use clothing as an idea also.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    I have very confusing weight trends, and sometimes trending apps show my trend as me gaining (in the short term) when I'm losing. It's really disheartening.

I keep a spreadsheet in addition to using a trending app and can see over the longer haul the bigger picture of my overall trend because of my silly weight fluctuations.

Bear in mind, these fluctuations aren't wild swings, they're all in the realm of 2-3 pounds, but I'm tiny and they matter to me since I'm trying to lose vanity weight.

Still, over time, the scale is a useful tool for me and has been all along.
  • neugebauer52
    neugebauer52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I have about 5 sets of clothing hanging in my cupboard and once I fit into one size I leave the slightly smaller size hanging in full view for me to see. Once a week I try it on so I can see and feel if I have lost any weight.
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,256 Member
    Options
    I weigh every single day. My weight is highly reliable. It slowly goes up between 2 and 7 lb in the week before my period, suddenly jumps by about 2 lb right before my period, stays up for the week of my period, and then goes down suddenly in the week after my period. The remaining week, it's usually pretty much the same every day.

Deep familiarity with this pattern, and that the only valid weight comparisons are between similar times in subsequent cycles, is how I avoid getting discouraged. Also, daily weighing means I can now predict the start of my period two days before, which is well useful :)
  • 13ecca4
    13ecca4 Posts: 202 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    For those of you who weigh daily, is it important to do it at the same time every day and same clothes ect?
  • 13ecca4
    13ecca4 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    yes

naked, after you pee when you first get up, ideally.

Thanks @TavistockToad! Going to download Happy Scale :)
  • Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I need to dl one of those tracking apps too. I weigh almost every other day now and progress is slooooow. I'd like to see the trend.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,329 Member
    Options
    Phirrgus wrote: »
    I need to dl one of those tracking apps too. I weigh almost every other day now and progress is slooooow. I'd like to see the trend.

Worth getting!

Be conscious that the trend, too, can sometimes mislead (note GottaBurnEmAll's comment above). This is doubly true before one accumulates a good set of starting data points in the app, 30 days or so.

If one is a food scale user, faith in that develops over time, and is helpful to recognizing when the trend-line misleads. ;)

It's all just statistics and technology, so a handy toolset, but sadly not a crystal ball.
  • bekahlou75
    bekahlou75 Posts: 304 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    ceiswyn wrote: »
    I weigh every single day. My weight is highly reliable.

That's awesome! I gain 3 pounds if I walk past a salt shaker! :smiley:

• daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    I weigh everyday, the number fluctuates but it is data and I am a data nut! I also like mini goals so I do measurements(weekly), photos(monthly) and clothing. I celebrate every victory!