Supplements for women

Options
Hello everyone,
I need advice on whether women would need supplemtna or not to build lean muscles. (Whey, Bcca and fish oils). And by muscle building I don’t want the bulky look muscles. All what Iam looking after is a well shapes lady muscles if u know what I mean!!
Thxxxx

Replies

• Cassandraw3
    Cassandraw3 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    Supplements are only for if you are unable to meet your nutritional needs through food alone. They are not required in order to build muscle. What is required is a good progressive lifting program. Also make sure you are getting sufficient protein.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Hello everyone,
    I need advice on whether women would need supplemtna or not to build lean muscles. (Whey, Bcca and fish oils). And by muscle building I don’t want the bulky look muscles. All what Iam looking after is a well shapes lady muscles if u know what I mean!!
    Thxxxx

This is an excellent read by one of the leading trainers in the industry. He focuses training to get a shapely figure.
    https://bretcontreras.com/how-to-attain-a-slender-look-like-jessica-alba-zoe-saldana/

Women do not just bulk up. It takes a lot of time, focused training and eating enough food.

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    First no you don't need supplements to build muscle.. you do need adequate calories (eating at maintenance or surplus ideally), enough protein and proper muscle stimulation (a progressive lifting program ideally).

Second, not sure what you mean by well shaped muscles vs bulky muscles. Maybe you could clarify.
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    You don't need supplements to build muscle. They supplement your diet, if it's lacking.

I take fish oil, because I almost never eat any fish. I take a multivitamin to cover my bases, and magnesium because I feel my diet is lacking. That's it.

I sometimes use a whey supplement when my protein is low for the day, to supplement my otherwise full diet. It's just a supplement. I don't take any workout specific supplements.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    Supliments- I take B12 and D in the winter. Living in a northern city they helps with my energy levels.

To build strength and muscle- I chose a programme from this link...

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

Cheers, h.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    No supplements are necessary.

Well shaped lady muscles? Try kegels?

Not sure what you mean.

I snorted. :laugh:
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    I think the confusion with "bulky lady muscles" comes from when people see photos of physique competitors.

In real life tho, those competitors just lost all the fat off them to show the muscle that was underneath. And the top top ones, used PEDs too (yes, they DO use it, the non-natty athletes, and it's not a big deal it's just part of the sport).

They actually look tiny in real life.

Just before they take those photos they pump up, they have this tan on that makes the muscles pop, they carb load to fill the muscles, all sorts of manipulation. And also, for a very short period of time because it's very bad for you.

I just WISH it were so easy to look like that all the time.

Do you know how long I've been trying to "look bulky?" going on 4 years, and I still don't look bulky at all... I either look kinda fattish when I'm bulking, or like I "go to the gym" (I've had randoms tell me that I look like I got to the gym) when I get sick of looking fattish.

Oh to look bulky without having to starve or to inject steroids of HGH or whatever "juice" out there...
  • Cahgetsfit
    Options
    OH and PS - no need for supps. BCAAs are a complete waste of money and can actually be detrimental. Look at @coacheugeneteo 's latest story in his Intsgram he tells you all about it
  • JBanx256
    JBanx256 Posts: 1,473 Member
    Options
    I'll second what @Cahgetsfit said. Except for professional female bodybuilders, the "muscley women" most people think of, eg physique athletes, are TINY. Muscular definition itself is something of an optical illusion when it comes to people's perception of size. For example, everyone thinks the guys in the movie 300 are HYOUGE but in reality, they are pretty danged small; their muscular definition (both real and CGI-enhanced) causes people to think they are a lot bigger. If I'm in jeans and a hoodie or something, people think I'm this little petite thing; if they see photos like my avatar, they think I'm some sort of amazonian giantess. As I cut, everyone (except my husband) actually thinks I'm putting on size.

You simply will not get big muscles without the use of copious anabolic substances. Whey protein is a good SUPPLEMENT to help you increase your protein intake. Just taking it randomly won't magically "do" anything for you. It's a supplement, not a substitute. BCAA's are a waste of your money as long as your protein intake is adequate; beyond that you're just paying a lot for flavored/colored water that does nothing to help you. Fish oil is a good supplement for a variety of health reasons but once again, isn't going to randomly cause you to build muscle.

But OMG LOL at the "lady muscles = kegels" comment!!!!
  • lkpducky
    lkpducky Posts: 16,765 Member
    Options
    No supplements are necessary.

Well shaped lady muscles? Try kegels?

Not sure what you mean.

Wise quack. :laugh:
  • AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Interesting info!!!
  • TrishSeren
    TrishSeren Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Muscle is muscle, it doesn't magically change into a different shape (eg: "lady" muscles vs bulky) depending on what food you eat or supplements you take.

Firstly, it takes a lot of dedication for women to grow large amounts of muscle. You will never accidentally give yourself large muscles.

Secondly, growing muscle mass requires you to eat bulk calories, you will not grow muscle in a deficit, you simply wouldn't. If you lift weights whilst in a deficit you'll maintain the muscle you currently have, which is a good thing.

Thirdly, supplements are a waste of time and money. BCAAs are in your food, it's simply the latest way for Instagram models to make money. On that note, never take diet or exercise advice from Instagram. Protein shakes etc might be helpful if you struggle to eat enough protein but they aren't a requirement.

• Cahgetsfit
    Options
    TrishSeren wrote: »
    Muscle is muscle, it doesn't magically change into a different shape (eg: "lady" muscles vs bulky) depending on what food you eat or supplements you take.

Firstly, it takes a lot of dedication for women to grow large amounts of muscle. You will never accidentally give yourself large muscles.

Secondly, growing muscle mass requires you to eat bulk calories, you will not grow muscle in a deficit, you simply wouldn't. If you lift weights whilst in a deficit you'll maintain the muscle you currently have, which is a good thing.

Thirdly, supplements are a waste of time and money. BCAAs are in your food, it's simply the latest way for Instagram models to make money. <b> On that note, never take diet or exercise advice from Instagram </b>. Protein shakes etc might be helpful if you struggle to eat enough protein but they aren't a requirement.

I'd say 99% of the time I agree with that statement, HOWEVER, there are a couple of people out there who know their *kitten* and are legit. @coacheugeneteo is just phenomenal - exercises, nutrition, supplements, you name it the guy is a *kitten* legend. So much so that I forked money out to attend his workshop and it was worth every single penny.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Lifting is for muscles.

As for generic women’s supplements, take Folic Acid if you are of childbearing age, and Black Cohosh if you are menopausal.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I don't think OP has even read any of the responses.
  • TrishSeren
    TrishSeren Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Cahgetsfit wrote: »
    TrishSeren wrote: »

Thirdly, supplements are a waste of time and money. BCAAs are in your food, it's simply the latest way for Instagram models to make money. <b> On that note, never take diet or exercise advice from Instagram </b>. Protein shakes etc might be helpful if you struggle to eat enough protein but they aren't a requirement.

I'd say 99% of the time I agree with that statement, HOWEVER, there are a couple of people out there who know their *kitten* and are legit. @coacheugeneteo is just phenomenal - exercises, nutrition, supplements, you name it the guy is a *kitten* legend. So much so that I forked money out to attend his workshop and it was worth every single penny.

True, there are a few exceptions out there! I was more referencing Instagram fitness models rather than professionals :)