4 days on keto, can't sleep

Smaya29
Smaya29 Posts: 106 Member
Before anyone asks me, why keto? I'll answer that and get it out of the way. Because it keeps me satiated, I don't feel cravings and I know I'm addicted to carbs, I can't control my calories on carbs.
So, I'm doing intermittent fasting (16:8) with it and I already feel great. My sinus hasn't been bothering me since last two days, my migraine disappeared, and I lost all of the water weight so I feel lighter and better. I'm not checking my weight as it always stresses me out if I don't see changes on the scale. I'll check on the 1st next month.
It's just that I am having trouble sleeping. My mind seems to be awake all the time. How long does it last? What should I do to sleep soundly? I am in bed around 9pm but can't seem to fall asleep. (I have my last meal around 6pm and no snacks afterwards except green tea and coconut oil around 6:30)
TIA

Replies

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,122 Member
    Smaya29 wrote: »
    Before anyone asks me, why keto? I'll answer that and get it out of the way. Because it keeps me satiated, I don't feel cravings and I know I'm addicted to carbs, I can't control my calories on carbs.
    So, I'm doing intermittent fasting (16:8) with it and I already feel great. My sinus hasn't been bothering me since last two days, my migraine disappeared, and I lost all of the water weight so I feel lighter and better. I'm not checking my weight as it always stresses me out if I don't see changes on the scale. I'll check on the 1st next month.
    It's just that I am having trouble sleeping. My mind seems to be awake all the time. How long does it last? What should I do to sleep soundly? I am in bed around 9pm but can't seem to fall asleep. (I have my last meal around 6pm and no snacks afterwards except green tea and coconut oil around 6:30)
    TIA

Are you ensuring you're getting your electrolytes in? Keto has a big impact on them and they can in turn have a big impact on sleep.

Sodium, Potassium and Magnesium are pretty important. Take some magnesium/potassium supplements and add a bit more salt to your food.

• naglady
    naglady Posts: 5 Member
    Magnesium 500mg at bedtime, good for sleep and constipation, works great on a keto diet.
  • KristaMac88
    KristaMac88 Posts: 163 Member
    Magnesium helped me tremendously when i was preg and couldnt sleep or got leg cramps. I am on week 3 keto and find the odd night i have trouble sleeping or get crampy so have invested in a melatonin/magnesium supplement i want to start taking.
  • Smaya29
    edited February 2019
    Thank you @tinkerbellang83 and @naglady, I'm new to this so I didn't know. I'll follow your advice :smile:
    And thank you @KristaMac88 .. so magnesium is the problem. Yes I checked my diary and I'm pretty low on it!
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,122 Member
    Thank you @tinkerbellang83 and @naglady, I'm new to this so I didn't know. I'll follow your advice :smile:

I'd suggest doing a bit more research as keto is quite a dramatic change to most people's normal diet. There are groups in the community that have a lot of info on Low Carb/Keto that would be a good starting point.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    TIA

You could try cutting out the green tea and see if it's the caffeine in the tea that is causing the issue. I realize there's not a lot of caffeine there but you might be sensitive to it's effects.
  • Smaya29
    ccrdragon wrote: »

You could try cutting out the green tea and see if it's the caffeine in the tea that is causing the issue. I realize there's not a lot of caffeine there but you might be sensitive to it's effects.

I'm not caffeine sensitive because I have had pretty strong black tea once a day all my life. So, I know it's not the caffeine. But thank you. I have two regular cups of green tea a day. I think it's the magnesium. Because I just realized that I'm pretty low on it.

• Fflpnari
    Fflpnari Posts: 975 Member
    Decaf green tea?
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    I'm on my 21st day of 4%-6% carbs and have been detecting ketones for 18. I've only noticed an improvement in sleep in the past 3 days.

I've been using OTC pain-PM pills at night to help sleep. You have my sympathy, and I hope you get to the stage of 'better sleep'.
  • KetoZandra
    KetoZandra Posts: 132 Member
    Up your water, salt, potassium, magnesium.
    When you dump all the water out of your system it also takes with it things that you need ^^^.
    Without enough people will have leg cramps, headaches, disrupted sleep, and itchy skin.
    For a small percentage of people this in only something that happens in the beginning but for most it is something we have to keep on top of or symptoms will re occur if levels get low.

I also suggest cutting cheese from your diet for a few weeks.

• Smaya29
    Fflpnari wrote: »
    Decaf green tea?

Yes decaf
  • Smaya29
    I'm on my 21st day of 4%-6% carbs and have been detecting ketones for 18. I've only noticed an improvement in sleep in the past 3 days.

I've been using OTC pain-PM pills at night to help sleep. You have my sympathy, and I hope you get to the stage of 'better sleep'.

Thank you. I'm sleeping a little better now. I guess it gets back to normal gradually. I wish you all the best in you weight loss journey :)
  • Smaya29
    edited February 2019
    KetoZandra wrote: »
    Up your water, salt, potassium, magnesium.
    When you dump all the water out of your system it also takes with it things that you need ^^^.
    Without enough people will have leg cramps, headaches, disrupted sleep, and itchy skin.
    For a small percentage of people this in only something that happens in the beginning but for most it is something we have to keep on top of or symptoms will re occur if levels get low.

I also suggest cutting cheese from your diet for a few weeks.

I am hardly eating any cheese. But I'm eating almond butter, coconut oil and swiss churned butter. Yes, I started taking magnesium supplements and I am drinking around 2L of water a day. It is getting better. I had the stomach cramps and water and magnesium cured it.
    Thank you everyone for your responses. All the best to you :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!