Options

Replies

• Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    Phirrgus wrote: »
    suziecue25 wrote: »
    As I sit at my laptop typing this there is a 400g bag of Roses chocolates [my favourite's] on the table that my husband opened and started to devour last night. I have taken out 6 of my favourite choccies and put them in a beautiful little cut glass bowl.....they are 58 calories each and I will have 1 a night until they are gone. On the other hand my husband will gobble down loads of chocolates every night and the big bag will be empty long before my 6 chocs are eaten......hubby will beg me for one of mine and the answer will be *kitten* off lol

@suziecue25 Are you sure you two are not my wife and I? Because that sounds just like a night at my house! :D

@NovusDies - I tend to agree with you. The problem with brutal honesty is that it's brutal, poorly thought out words can hurt more than any donut. There are better ways for a man to support his wife.

edit for spelling

She is already feeling vulnerable from her mistake and now she is feeling disrespected. She does need to find her tools and a new mindset about this situation but that can't be just forced on a person. It is not uncommon to remove the temptation for a period of time. I have done this myself with certain things and I have had good success with those items later on.

OP, you do understand that you can't go through the rest of your life fearing doughnuts, right? Regardless of how this shakes out going forward you will need a working strategy because there will always be more doughnuts around the next corner.

I was agreeing with you :)
  • Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,894 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    suziecue25 wrote: »
    As I sit at my laptop typing this there is a 400g bag of Roses chocolates [my favourite's] on the table that my husband opened and started to devour last night. I have taken out 6 of my favourite choccies and put them in a beautiful little cut glass bowl.....they are 58 calories each and I will have 1 a night until they are gone. On the other hand my husband will gobble down loads of chocolates every night and the big bag will be empty long before my 6 chocs are eaten......hubby will beg me for one of mine and the answer will be *kitten* off lol

@suziecue25 Are you sure you two are not my wife and I? Because that sounds just like a night at my house! :D

@NovusDies - I tend to agree with you. The problem with brutal honesty is that it's brutal, poorly thought out words can hurt more than any donut. There are better ways for a man to support his wife.

edit for spelling

She is already feeling vulnerable from her mistake and now she is feeling disrespected. She does need to find her tools and a new mindset about this situation but that can't be just forced on a person. It is not uncommon to remove the temptation for a period of time. I have done this myself with certain things and I have had good success with those items later on.

OP, you do understand that you can't go through the rest of your life fearing doughnuts, right? Regardless of how this shakes out going forward you will need a working strategy because there will always be more doughnuts around the next corner.

I was agreeing with you :)

Next time agree with me harder!!

I am a little off my game because of illness.

I WILL!! :D

I hope you feel better soon!

edit: I still gave you "insightful" on that, because it is :)
  • kds10
    kds10 Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    brenn24179 wrote: »
    People can fight over anything, geez, if it bothered someone I would go to another room to eat my junk, I don't want to make it hard on anyone. If it was easy to not overeat, then we would not need MFP.

Nobody is arguing that it's easy. It doesn't seem to me to be a realistic expectation to go on a diet and think everyone else around you needs to be on your plan. There are always going to be temptations and learning to how to deal with them is important. There will always be parties at work, social gatherings with friends, etc, etc, etc. You have to find some way to deal with these things rather than expecting that temptations will never be there.

Very true, you have to learn to avoid completely or moderate what you eat....hell I have used the weather as an excuse to stuff my face:( It is too cold/snowy, etc. so I might as well eat!!!
  • csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    With enough practice, I have found it is totally do-able to not eat what is sitting in front of me. I do it when I go to a restaurant and choose A off the menu instead of B... I do it when my kids eat chips and I weigh out some popcorn or fruit instead... If other people in the house will enjoy her donuts, then I think you should let them enjoy them. Just my opinion. I like the flavored tea idea. I sip warm water a lot when there are snacks foods around, when I'm at a party, etc.