do you actually have to drink SO MUCH water to lose weight?

Options

Replies

• magnusthenerd
    magnusthenerd Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    RAinWA wrote: »
    euronorris wrote: »
    You just need to be properly hydrated. Your excess weight (ie burnt off) is carried out of your body through your pee, so dehydration wouldn't help that. But then, being dehydrated would be harmful for a myriad of other reasons too!

The graphic image shared on the first page of the thread is the best guide I think :)

You don't actually pee the excess weight out. This is a good explanation:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10650701/biochemistry-answers-to-weight-loss-questions-where-does-the-weight-go/p1

Well you could have given the cliffs beyond the link and said you breath it out.
    Though technically, part of it is also going to be water, just not water you take in. Breaking down a fatty acid or a sugar is going to produce water as well as carbon dioxide.
  • 2snakeswoman
    2snakeswoman Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    It helps me to aim for a certain number of glasses per day, otherwise I forget to drink and my urine is strongly yellow, even brownish, putting me in the dehydrated category. I am one of those people who thinks that thirst is hunger apparently because I want to eat a lot more than i want to drink. Cheese and crackers don't add much water to my system.
  • AutumLeaf
    AutumLeaf Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    trulyhealy wrote: »
    obviously a calorie deficit makes you lose weight but people on youtube day drink a gallon of water a day and it’s so much and peeing a lot just is so anointing and wondering if it has any effect? maybe it helps with water weight??

Drink enough so your pee is pale. If it's clear then you're drinking too much

Opsss I have clear pee. I get a lot of headaches and if I don't drink as much as I do they get worse. I'm also thirsty a lot despite how much I drink water.
  • lildickybarrett
    lildickybarrett Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    No, its a fallacy, don't do anything in weight loss or fitness unless you can go find a real study on it, there is way too much broscience.

I think in truth there is a happy medium - make sure your hydrated, your cells will be full of water and your bodies chemistry relies on it, so being hydrated helps that.

The real weight loss is going to come from hitting your daily calorie goals, day in and day out.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    AutumLeaf wrote: »
    trulyhealy wrote: »
    obviously a calorie deficit makes you lose weight but people on youtube day drink a gallon of water a day and it’s so much and peeing a lot just is so anointing and wondering if it has any effect? maybe it helps with water weight??

Drink enough so your pee is pale. If it's clear then you're drinking too much

Opsss I have clear pee. I get a lot of headaches and if I don't drink as much as I do they get worse. I'm also thirsty a lot despite how much I drink water.

You really should talk to a doctor and get tested - unending thirst is one of the major warning signs of type 2 diabetes.

+1. Get a checkup, you shouldn't be thirsty all the time and have clear urine.
  • MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Options
    Phirrgus wrote: »
    try2again wrote: »
    I LOVE this thread! I've been trying to figure out how to stay hydrated properly while stuck in traffic for 2.5 hours and going between jobs. It can freaking hurt sometimes :'(

Looks like I can cut back on my water intake during the workday because I'm one of those sick puppies that believe the advice given here. From some peeps anyway :p

Your posts are such a delight. You seem to always be looking to learn & improve... very refreshing! :)

@try2again Thank you! For all the good info as well as the encouragement. Very Kind :)

I scoured the web for over a year my first attempt at losing and in truth, did find some decent stuff, as well as junk. But you good folks here...your advice works. :)

Do you have any idea what I would have to pay a PT and an RD to get what you folks give for free? I would be living out of my truck :D

I find it really sucks that people would have to pay to see a RD, to be honest. I was recommended to one when my blood tests indicated I was likely pre-diabetic and my dr referred me to a dietician who also worked out of the office (it's one of those places with a few different doctors' offices, blood lab, pharmacy, etc). Didn't have to pay anything, just had to show up for my appointments and honestly it was really helpful when I was getting started. He was the one that recommended MFP to me. Not that everyone necessarily needs a dietician, but they're usually a good place to start for help.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    I LOVE this thread! I've been trying to figure out how to stay hydrated properly while stuck in traffic for 2.5 hours and going between jobs. It can freaking hurt sometimes :'(

Looks like I can cut back on my water intake during the workday because I'm one of those sick puppies that believe the advice given here. From some peeps anyway :p

Your posts are such a delight. You seem to always be looking to learn & improve... very refreshing! :)

@try2again Thank you! For all the good info as well as the encouragement. Very Kind :)

I scoured the web for over a year my first attempt at losing and in truth, did find some decent stuff, as well as junk. But you good folks here...your advice works. :)

Do you have any idea what I would have to pay a PT and an RD to get what you folks give for free? I would be living out of my truck :D
    Your worst case scenario. lol. You have a truck, do you have a hitch?

1zhem9xq66so.jpg

• Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options

Your worst case scenario. lol. You have a truck, do you have a hitch?

1zhem9xq66so.jpg

I do have a hitch :D That would have been a great solution to my full bladder on the highway problem lol.