Recording Exercise

Options
I use the Elliptical about 4 times a week, High Intensity Intervals, usually about 25 minutes. However, the 25 minutes is not just 25 minutes making the Elliptical go back and forth, it is "high intensity." Any way to record the HIIT minutes in MFP?

Replies

• kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    If you are doing HIIT 4 times a week, it's likely not actual HIIT.

I would record a base calorie rate and then track for several weeks. If you find you are losing faster than expected, you can adjust your calorie burn to be more.

^ totally agree. This is the best way to handle it.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,838 Member
    Options
    Yup, just log it as elliptical and monitor results.

There is no "HIIT" exercise, because HIIT is an exercise pacing strategy, not an exercise.

IME, I don't burn all that many more calories from very intense exercise (power metered) compared to moderately intense exercise. I'm comparing, for example, rowing machine Tabata intervals or 2K racing intensity (or the >2K intensity intervals that are part of 2K training) to moderately challenging steady state machine rowing.

It feels way harder, and is substantially more fatiguing, and my heart rate is around 20bpm higher . . . but the actual power change isn't all that thrilling (and it's power that correlates with calories; perceived intensity, not so much).

I haven't tried to graph it, but after monitoring my exercise for over a decade now (for training purposes, not weight loss purposes), it seems to me that there's an inflection point in the intensity curve where the exercise starts feeling much harder (geometrically harder?) but the power's going up in a more linear kind of way. Limits of current fitness, I guess. YMMV.
  • no1texan
    no1texan Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your comments and information. Can't expect computers/programs/apps to tell us all. I believe it is HIIT in that I do 8 sets on the Elliptical, occasionally couple more for fun, 2 minutes each, push the first 40 seconds to 1 minute, recover the remaining time, 1 minute or so, and repeat - 4 times a week may not be best way to express how many HIIT I do in a week, no back to back HIIT, allowing 48 hours at least in between HIIT.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,178 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Yup, just log it as elliptical and monitor results.

This.

Unfortunately, we don't burn as much as we would like to assume we burn. I was more successful losing weight when I under estimated my exercise/calorie burn.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    no1texan wrote: »
    Thanks for your comments and information. Can't expect computers/programs/apps to tell us all. I believe it is HIIT in that I do 8 sets on the Elliptical, occasionally couple more for fun, 2 minutes each, push the first 40 seconds to 1 minute, recover the remaining time, 1 minute or so, and repeat - 4 times a week may not be best way to express how many HIIT I do in a week, no back to back HIIT, allowing 48 hours at least in between HIIT.

Those are intervals, but I don't know of many people who would consider it true HIIT.