“Abs are made in the kitchen”...

Options
So we’ve all heard the phrase “abs are made in the kitchen” and I’m sure I’m not alone in the desire to have a flat, toned stomach. The idea of counting macros, following meal plans, etc is daunting. Looking for tips and tricks to get me on the right path to blasting the belly fat.

Replies

• neugebauer52
    neugebauer52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I trust MFP and it's calculations and I stick to them. Also the amazing support from so many MFP members - that always helps emotionally. Portion control - well, that's something I am still working on. I have a long way to go.
  • zeejane03
    zeejane03 Posts: 993 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    You can't spot reduce where the extra weight will come off. I have a flat stomach-it's the first place I lose the extra weight. However, I'm pear shaped and even at a lower BMI I have extra 'squish' in my outer thighs/bum. It's just how I'm made.

To lose weight enter your info into MFP and then follow the calorie target it gives you, this has your needed deficit already built in. If you have a lot to lose you can start with the 2lb a week goal, otherwise 1lb a week is a good rate of loss.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    My meals are made in my kitchen. 😅
  • jjreverse
    jjreverse Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I agree with everything above.
    I also fast until 2pm or so, usually wake up at 9. Workout fasted most days as well. But mostly I do this because once I eat “breakfast”, I’m constantly hungry and looking to eat eat eat.
    Fasting until a certain time also allows me to cut out 700-1000 calories pretty easily just based on my schedule.
    Another thing I’ve learned, including professional dietitian (my sister), is begin your day with carbs and protein, don’t have fat before or after your workout, and as the day progresses, involve more fat and less carbs, keeping protein consistent. Until your last snack or meal is mostly fat and some protein, no carbs.
    Super high fiber and Whole Foods as much as possible.

J🔅💡
  • zeejane03
    zeejane03 Posts: 993 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    jjreverse wrote: »
    I also fast until 2pm or so, usually wake up at 9. Workout fasted most days as well. But mostly I do this because once I eat “breakfast”, I’m constantly hungry and looking to eat eat eat.
    Fasting until a certain time also allows me to cut out 700-1000 calories pretty easily just based on my schedule.
    Another thing I’ve learned, including professional dietitian (my sister), is begin your day with carbs and protein, don’t have fat before or after your workout, and as the day progresses, involve more fat and less carbs, keeping protein consistent. Until your last snack or meal is mostly fat and some protein, no carbs.

J🔅💡

I eat over 200 carbs a day, including with my evening meal. I'm nailing my weight management goals, so this makes no sense to me.

In terms of weight loss (what OP seems to be working on, wanting to get rid of fat), macros ratios/timing doesn't matter. What matters is that she's at the correct calorie deficit for her weight loss goals.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

J🔅💡

whats the reason to not have fat before or after you work out?
  • lin_be
    lin_be Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »

I endorse this thread.
  • JBanx256
    JBanx256 Posts: 1,479 Member
    Options

J🔅💡

Fats slow the digestion of other nutrients. So if you're working out, you want quicker delivery of your protein & carbs (which is why you'd use whey instead of casein). At bedtime, having some fats with a slower-absorbing protein (eg, casein, cottage cheese, etc), will further delay the digestion so that the protein delivery takes longer, basically "feeding" your muscles more slowly during the night when you're going much longer before eating again.
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    JBanx256 wrote: »

J🔅💡

Fats slow the digestion of other nutrients. So if you're working out, you want quicker delivery of your protein & carbs (which is why you'd use whey instead of casein). At bedtime, having some fats with a slower-absorbing protein (eg, casein, cottage cheese, etc), will further delay the digestion so that the protein delivery takes longer, basically "feeding" your muscles more slowly during the night when you're going much longer before eating again.

interesting, thanks
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options

J🔅💡

While true (love ya, @JBanx256), this is one of those "elite athlete" type things that the regular person doesn't need to worry about too much.

In reference to the OPs original question, calorie deficit, hitting protein, and heavy lifting is the first goal. Once those are dialed in, then she could wade out into the weeds.
  • TavistockToad
    edited February 2019
    Options

J🔅💡

While true (love ya, @JBanx256), this is one of those "elite athlete" type things that the regular person doesn't need to worry about too much.

In reference to the OPs original question, calorie deficit, hitting protein, and heavy lifting is the first goal. Once those are dialed in, then she could wade out into the weeds.

how do you know i'm not actually an elite athlete...? :sad:
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    kyda95 wrote: »
    So we’ve all heard the phrase “abs are made in the kitchen” and I’m sure I’m not alone in the desire to have a flat, toned stomach. The idea of counting macros, following meal plans, etc is daunting. Looking for tips and tricks to get me on the right path to blasting the belly fat.

The reason for the saying is that no matter how much muscle you have there, the muscle definition typically won't show unless at a pretty low body fat % (merely within the 'normal' BMI range won't be enough for most people, but depends on where the individual mainly carries their extra fat).

If your issue is extra fat (anywhere), then the main step is to eat less (and/or burn more).

If you want muscle definition (abs) rather than just a flat stomach, then something to encourage muscle growth there is needed (it doesn't need to be ab-specific exercises...compound lifting movements and other activities that require your core to balance/stabilize your body will work those muscles) along with adequate protein consumption (from wherever-no need to get fancy on that).
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    What most people say these days is "Abs are made in the gym, and revealed in the kitchen." Meaning, if you want a 6-pack you need to build some muscle but you won't be able to see it if you have too much fat. You can get a flatter stomach with just a calorie deficit but in order to get any tone you'll need some exercise also.

And you don't really need to count macros, the only thing that matters is counting your calories. Macros are more important if you are following a more strict diet. It's just good to keep an eye on them to make sure they are at least in the right ballpark.

Honestly, the best "trick" that has ever worked for me is just to track everything I eat and stay under my calorie goal. What I eat and when has little effect on anything if I'm not under my calorie goal. If I just eat when I'm hungry I have a tendency to snack all day and I'm always hungry anyway. I've just learned to drink a lot of water and to space my food out better. I used to think it would be too much work to log everything, but MFP has made it easy. And mostly I've learned that I can eat a certain amount during the day and save a certain amount of calories for dinner, and with a bit of exercise I lost weight easily. Much better than just mindlessly eating all day, it helps me focus.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options

J🔅💡

how do you know i'm not actually an elite athlete...? :sad:

That wasn't necessarily directed at you. You know I love you, too.

It was directed at the newbie that was going to get lost in all the minutia, and quit because it's all too hard.
  • JBanx256
    JBanx256 Posts: 1,479 Member
    Options

J🔅💡

Oh, I agree 100%. Based on the OP's question, I'm going to assume that nutrient timing is a non-issue for her. I was just saying the reasoning behind not consuming fats immediately before/after a workout. While the guy's comment was no doubt well-intentioned, I'm pretty sure he was getting the proverbial cart before the horse by making that recommendation.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    lin_be wrote: »
    sardelsa wrote: »

I endorse this thread.
    As do I.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png