Keto vs calorie counting

I know many say both keto and calorie counting are one in the same, as someone will lose weight due to having a calorie deficit. The first month on keto people lose a large amout of water weight, but I'm seeing people each month lose 10-20 pounds a month vs calorie counting people are barely loosing 4-8 pounds a month. So wouldn't keto be a better weight loss option?

Replies

• lbride
    lbride Posts: 248 Member
    I think they lose so much weight b/c the limited diet = less calories overall (and eating high fat makes you less hungry, IMO)
    But I've never tried it (successfully - it's hard to eat that much fat!)
  • 39flavours
    39flavours Posts: 1,494 Member
    edited February 2019
    Just curious, if we as humans are only able to metabolize a certain amount of fat per day, as stated above, then how come obese people can lose fat at a higher rate than those with less body fat?

Edited to change the word weight to fat
  • moe0303
    moe0303 Posts: 934 Member
    39flavours wrote: »
    Just curious, if we as humans are only able to metabolize a certain amount of fat per day, as stated above, then how come obese people can lose fat at a higher rate than those with less body fat?

Good question. Maybe the limit the limit is based on the amount of fat in the body (Just guessing). I'd be interested in seeing studies about this.
  • 39flavours
    39flavours Posts: 1,494 Member
    That's interesting, so at some point your body says 'no, that's about all the body fat % I'm willing to spare today, time to start consuming muscles' I wonder what the evolutionary logic is behind that.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,966 Member
    That's interesting, so at some point your body says 'no, that's about all the body fat % I'm willing to spare today, time to start consuming muscles' I wonder what the evolutionary logic is behind that.

Without actual biology/physiology expertise in any way ( ;) ), I suspect it's more about the chemistry - that your physical system is only capable of biologically converting X amount of fat per pound of fat per day into energy, so when it exceeds that, it goes shopping for other energy sources in the body.

As far as "evolutionary logic" . . . at some level of intake, humans starve, and natural selection seems perfectly willing to let them. Physics won't let you keep running on empty, so how your body adapts is shaped by natural selection, not logic.

Pure speculation, though.
    moe0303 wrote: »

Good question. Maybe the limit the limit is based on the amount of fat in the body (Just guessing). I'd be interested in seeing studies about this.

I can't find a cite quickly right now, but IMU the estimate is that we can burn roughly X amount of calories per pound of fat per day, and that that value (X) was inferred (by experts) via calculation, not experimentation. If memory serves (something mine rarely does ;) ), the value of X is argued about, but is estimated to be in the 20s or at most 30s of calories per pound of fat.

The "maximum loss of 1% of body weight a week" is on the conservative side, because (1) it's a rule of thumb and one size doesn't actually fit all, and (2) losing too slowly is frustrating, but losing too fast is dangerous and unhealthy.