How to transition from long term cut to bulk?

I’ve went from 100kg in 2016 to now currently at around 55-57kg at 170cm(just on 5’7) and have sort of stalled a bit in weight loss and the thought of a bulk is very tempting although the fear of fat gain is also keeping me from starting one now that I finally see abs lol. I’m not that big at all really so was wondering how I would change my diet and possibly training in order to bulk properly without unnecessary fat gain

Replies

• rose2_0
    rose2_0 Posts: 150 Member
    You’re going to gain some fat regardless but bulking smart will help with extra fat gain. I think training in maintenance for a couple months is a good idea personally. Coming out of a cut, nice and lean.. it’s hard. I feel like I’m just primed for fat gain when I’m really lean and my hunger hormones haven’t leveled out yet. All you need is 250 cals above maintenance for .5 lb per week gain.
  • Jonnydebrasco
    Jonnydebrasco Posts: 68 Member
    Ok no matter what you do if you want to bulk you will gain fat. Look it’s not the end of the world as a lot of the gains if done properly will be muscle. If you eat clean and cycle your carbs then you will bulk clean. Besides after your bulk is done just cut again. That’s my two cents I’ve been doing this for over 20 years
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    I am not speaking from experience, just what I've read here. But I believe the key to minimizing fat gain on a bulk is to not gain too fast and to work a well designed progressive strength program.

Check out the Most Helpful Posts thread pinned to the top of this forum, lots of good info in there!
  • edickson76
    edickson76 Posts: 107 Member
    That is a massive cut. Great job! Having lost that large a percentage of your body weight, though, I would recommend hanging out at your new weight and just maintaining for at least a couple months. It takes time for the body to adjust to a new settling point and have your metabolism get back up after a long period of weight loss.

Layne Norton has a series of vids on YouTube, addressing this issue if you are interested.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    I'd spend a bit of time in maintenance before diving straight into a cut, personally
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    I agree with trying maintenance for a while. Recomp.