Weight plateau.

Options
I've been good. Sticking to the calorie intake. Weighing and logging everything. But the weight is not going down. Lost 3 stone but can't seem to shift the last stone that I want to get rid of. Any advice gratefully received.

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    How long have you been plateaued? How long have you been dieting? Have you taken a diet break?
  • JulesBooth
    JulesBooth Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Been dieting since this time 2018. Had holiday beginning of December and ate sensibly but what I wanted to eat. Plateaued since new year.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    What is your current intake? Do you use a food scale? What is your exercise routine?
  • JulesBooth
    Options
    1570 calories. Yes use a food scale. Personal trainer twice a week. Lots of walking.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    kirk136 wrote: »
    1570 calories. Yes use a food scale. Personal trainer twice a week. Lots of walking.

And what are your stats? Can you open your food diary?
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Sounds like you're meticulous and diligent with counting your calories. Try options below to break the plateau,
    • cut back on calories. you should be tracking calories so start with a 100 calorie additional deficit. if however, you’re already on a low deficit then go with the next option
    • change your macronutrients. reduce the amount of carbs you eat first because they won’t make a big difference in terms of hunger versus cutting out protein. focus on fibrous vegetables for your carb sources.
    • eat better quality foods. the better quality the more you can eat and it’ll keep you fuller for longer versus processed foods.
    • amp up your cardio. you can do cardio for longer, increase the frequency of cardio you do, or increase the intensity of your cardio or change the type of cardio you do to make it more inefficient so you burn more calories.
    • add in HIIT workouts. this jacks up the intensity of your cardio so you burn more calories after your workouts.

Umm, hold up on some of this....

If you're eating 1570 don't cut back on calories. Either that's not what's really happening (a probability), or you are already at a fairly low weight. An active male does not burn that few. At any rate, I don't see how cutting calories here is the answer.

Changing macros has zero effect if calories are the same.

Quality of food has zero effect if the calories are the same.

Doing more cardio is fine, but there is efficiency component to it as well as a hormone component. Cardio is for aerobic fitness. The weight loss advantage is not insignificant, but it is a smaller factor, compared to a deficit.

HIIT workouts are great, but they are not for everyone, and if they are done right, should have a fair recovery cycle with it. Most people who claim to do HIIT, don't really do HIIT. There is potentially some extra "afterburn", but that's again negligent compared to the food issue and many times the "afterburn" (or Exercise Post Oxygen Consumption - EPOC, is overestimated). HIIT, when done right can compress the time and potentially add some amount calories burned afterward. But if you are not eating enough calories, you won't have the energy to actually do HIIT.

The advice given here is without context. Not saying it's all bad; it just needs a little more info to be truly relevant. To get real good answers, first provide your current stats, and folks that know a lot here can help.

I believe the OP is actually a female. The name almost got me too.
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    Sounds like you're meticulous and diligent with counting your calories. Try options below to break the plateau,
    • cut back on calories. you should be tracking calories so start with a 100 calorie additional deficit. if however, you’re already on a low deficit then go with the next option
    • change your macronutrients. reduce the amount of carbs you eat first because they won’t make a big difference in terms of hunger versus cutting out protein. focus on fibrous vegetables for your carb sources.
    • eat better quality foods. the better quality the more you can eat and it’ll keep you fuller for longer versus processed foods.
    • amp up your cardio. you can do cardio for longer, increase the frequency of cardio you do, or increase the intensity of your cardio or change the type of cardio you do to make it more inefficient so you burn more calories.
    • add in HIIT workouts. this jacks up the intensity of your cardio so you burn more calories after your workouts.

Umm, hold up on some of this....

If you're eating 1570 don't cut back on calories. Either that's not what's really happening (a probability), or you are already at a fairly low weight. An active male does not burn that few. At any rate, I don't see how cutting calories here is the answer.

Changing macros has zero effect if calories are the same.

Quality of food has zero effect if the calories are the same.

Doing more cardio is fine, but there is efficiency component to it as well as a hormone component. Cardio is for aerobic fitness. The weight loss advantage is not insignificant, but it is a smaller factor, compared to a deficit.

HIIT workouts are great, but they are not for everyone, and if they are done right, should have a fair recovery cycle with it. Most people who claim to do HIIT, don't really do HIIT. There is potentially some extra "afterburn", but that's again negligent compared to the food issue and many times the "afterburn" (or Exercise Post Oxygen Consumption - EPOC, is overestimated). HIIT, when done right can compress the time and potentially add some amount calories burned afterward. But if you are not eating enough calories, you won't have the energy to actually do HIIT.

The advice given here is without context. Not saying it's all bad; it just needs a little more info to be truly relevant. To get real good answers, first provide your current stats, and folks that know a lot here can help.

I believe the OP is actually a female. The name almost got me too.

Shame on me for the quick judge. Apologies OP. Most of the stuff still applies, but 1570 may be closer to appropriate depending on your stats.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    ks5due96vthd.jpg
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Also, OP do you have any medical conditions like PCOS. There may be some possibilities that either modification to macros, a true diet break or even incorporating refeeds might help. This all assumes that you are consistent with logging practices.

I do feel your pain. I have struggled on the last bit.
  • JulesBooth
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Thank you for all your advice everyone. I will look at the ideas. Perhaps up my protein and drop my calories a bit. Will try varying my diet. Ps I'm female lol.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,853 Member
    Options
    Something to consider
    https://youtu.be/XY1jtPqvoCk thats why its always good to consult a doctor.

"Dr. Becky" is a chiropractor who sells a diet plan, and coaching, just to be clear about sources here.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Something to consider
    https://youtu.be/XY1jtPqvoCk thats why its always good to consult a doctor.

"Dr. Becky" is a chiropractor who sells a diet plan, and coaching, just to be clear about sources here.

So the female version of Dr. Berg lol