2»

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    slipslimo wrote: »
    It's around 150g of carbs per day. I find it impossible to go lower. I don't eat bread or dough pasta rice potatoes etc.

impossible? really?

swap the porridge for eggs, swap the low fat yoghurt for full fat, swap the chicken for beef or lamb and add some pesto or olive oil.

that would probably half your carbs.

Ok cool , ill swap the porridge for eggs , I can't eat red meat anymore so I'll stick to chicken but will full fat yogurt not increase my weight .

what is your calorie goal? the number of calories that you consume will dictate whether you lose maintain or gain weight, not the macros of them.

and how many are you currently eating?
  • slipslimo
    slipslimo Posts: 18 Member
    Options

If you need to increase your calories, how do you feel about having a salad for lunch instead of fruit and yoghurt? You can add in avocado, fish or nuts to add some fat and calories into a basic salad, depending on how far under your goal you are maybe have a salad as an extra meal each day?

My salad today was 328 calories (cucumber, celery, tomato, peppers, spring onion, carrot, avocado, prawns and balsamic vinegar)

I also love hummus and carrots as a snack, home made so I know exactly what is in my hummus. One portion of hummus with 80g of raw carrot comes to 185 calories for my afternoon snack

Yes I will change to salad for lunch. Thank you I'll add nuts but I can't abide fish .
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

If you need to increase your calories, how do you feel about having a salad for lunch instead of fruit and yoghurt? You can add in avocado, fish or nuts to add some fat and calories into a basic salad, depending on how far under your goal you are maybe have a salad as an extra meal each day?

My salad today was 328 calories (cucumber, celery, tomato, peppers, spring onion, carrot, avocado, prawns and balsamic vinegar)

I also love hummus and carrots as a snack, home made so I know exactly what is in my hummus. One portion of hummus with 80g of raw carrot comes to 185 calories for my afternoon snack

Yes I will change to salad for lunch. Thank you I'll add nuts but I can't abide fish .

Why salad? It really doesn't need to be so restrictive? How about roasted chicken, skin on, with some non-starchy veggies or coconut cauliflower rice or something like that?

How many calories short are you of your 2050 calorie goal? Based on what you mentioned for your typical meal plan, I have to imagine you've got 800-1000 calories to make up, right? A 350 calorie salad could SUPPLEMENT an actual meal to get you closer to that goal.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    chicken isn't the only lean meat - you could look to pork lion, turkey breast - all have similar protein profiles

is it all seafood or just finish - shrimp packs a protein punch
  • slipslimo
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »

Why salad? It really doesn't need to be so restrictive? How about roasted chicken, skin on, with some non-starchy veggies or coconut cauliflower rice or something like that?

How many calories short are you of your 2050 calorie goal? Based on what you mentioned for your typical meal plan, I have to imagine you've got 800-1000 calories to make up, right? A 350 calorie salad could SUPPLEMENT an actual meal to get you closer to that goal.

Yes your right on the calories around 1000 to make up . However made a few changes to tonight's tea and it's higher in fat at 15 grams but way lower in carbs only 28 grams . But for the first time in a month I'm over 1250 calories for the day so far and it's almost 6 pm . So I'll go to the gym in an hour or so then have an omelette and that should tale me to were I need to be . Great advice
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

Yes your right on the calories around 1000 to make up . However made a few changes to tonight's tea and it's higher in fat at 15 grams but way lower in carbs only 28 grams . But for the first time in a month I'm over 1250 calories for the day so far and it's almost 6 pm . So I'll go to the gym in an hour or so then have an omelette and that should tale me to were I need to be . Great advice

Your calorie goal from MFP is a NET goal, meaning you are supposed to eat back those calories burned through exercise as well. It's good you've gotten higher than 1250, but that still puts you 800 cals from your goal and going to the gym is going to give you more than 1000 calories to make up. That better be one gigantic omelette.

1500 calories is the minimum recommended calories for men, and even that is not appropriate for someone with significant amount of weight to lose. Eating too little calories can have detrimental health impacts including organ damage if you are not careful.

You need to be eating more calories, full stop. You can lose weight and follow the low carb, no alcohol diet as prescribed by your doctor but I would be very surprised if they would be ok with the extreme approach you are taking.

• slipslimo
    edited February 2019
    Options

Your calorie goal from MFP is a NET goal, meaning you are supposed to eat back those calories burned through exercise as well. It's good you've gotten higher than 1250, but that still puts you 800 cals from your goal and going to the gym is going to give you more than 1000 calories to make up. That better be one gigantic omelette.

1500 calories is the minimum recommended calories for men, and even that is not appropriate for someone with significant amount of weight to lose. Eating too little calories can have detrimental health impacts including organ damage if you are not careful.

You need to be eating more calories, full stop. You can lose weight and follow the low carb, no alcohol diet as prescribed by your doctor but I would be very surprised if they would be ok with the extreme approach you are taking.

Your right, I am making adjustments as from tomorrow morning eggs instead of porridge and salad instead of yogurt with nuts ers and a more heartier evening meal . I was 18st 4 new years day 2019 and am 16 st 1lbs when weighed at hospital yesterday and feel way better than I have for ages. I rowed 500mtrs in 2 mins yesterday as well as my other circuit of training but yes my calories need attention and I'm w0rking on that . I'm at 1373 for today right this minute so will have something else later . Thanks for the advice .
  • slipslimo
    edited February 2019
    Options
    I appreciate all the advice and comments . Not an easy task .
  • StephSuter2508
    StephSuter2508 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I appreciate all the advice and comments . Not an easy task .

I dont find any of this easy, and what works for some doesnt always work for others, but take the advice that works well for your personal goals and it will get easier to manage :)
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    The fruit and oats will both have quite a few carbs. Try snacking on nuts or cheese (bonus being more calorie dense). A lot of veggies also have a lot of carbs. Try throwing some chicken or beef into your stir fry!