Living the keto life. Looking to make friends

Options
Heya, I am new-ish and I take my healthy lifestyle very seriously. Looking to find others who are on the same journey. Let's motivate each other!

Replies

• okumar51
    okumar51 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi! I’m restating keto the right way. I can use some keto people too!
  • Mysunshinelife31
    Mysunshinelife31 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    karenflrz wrote: »
    Hi, I just started Keto, I'm on my third day. I also need friends for Keto because the ones I have in real life are not interested! lol. I'm proud of my discipline due to carbs and sweets being my weakness. Three days in and I'm feeling better already.

The first month is the hardest! I applaud you for sticking to it. It helps me to sip something with peppermint or stevia sweetened when a craving hits. What recipes have you tried so far?
  • romeyniko
    romeyniko Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi everybody! I tried keto for a little while but found that it was too hard to sustain long term. I think that a good balance of everything will work better for me. I always struggle with diets that have restrictions but I admire those who can stick to them. Good luck you guys!!!
  • mschelle22
    mschelle22 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I'm new to keto as well, 1 week in. Looking for a support group to help me along my journey
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    @mschelle22 over the years the MFP group below has been helpful in my Keto experience. You will need to request to join the group but at any time at a click of the button you can remove yourself if you ever wish. There are a lot of Stickies with helpful info. Best of success.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum
  • KrisChampagne
    KrisChampagne Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'm here! new to keto - today was day 1. A long heart to heart with my Dr ended with him wanting me to explore keto. So here I am.
  • pscaravelli
    pscaravelli Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm here! new to keto - today was day 1. A long heart to heart with my Dr ended with him wanting me to explore keto. So here I am.
    Hi, I just started Keto, I'm on my third day. I also need friends for Keto because the ones I have in real life are not interested! lol. I'm proud of my discipline due to carbs and sweets being my weakness. Three days in and I'm feeling better already.
    mschelle22 wrote: »
    Hi there! I'm new to keto as well, 1 week in. Looking for a support group to help me along my journey

Hey guys! I’m also new on Keto, today was day 2 for me. I experienced fatigue and sleepiness, as well as some pretty uncomfortable cramps on my left leg. I took the recommended dose of magnesium, as well as a multivitamin, on top of salting all my meals. But I am a little concerned about all the potassium I’ve read you should ingest. I think today I stayed around 2900mg and that was taken throughout the day. I’d love to know what you guys are doing. Thoughts?
  • Mysunshinelife31
    Mysunshinelife31 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    mschelle22 wrote: »

Hey guys! I’m also new on Keto, today was day 2 for me. I experienced fatigue and sleepiness, as well as some pretty uncomfortable cramps on my left leg. I took the recommended dose of magnesium, as well as a multivitamin, on top of salting all my meals. But I am a little concerned about all the potassium I’ve read you should ingest. I think today I stayed around 2900mg and that was taken throughout the day. I’d love to know what you guys are doing. Thoughts?

Starting any new food plan can throw your system for a loop. I found that taking note of what I ate and how I felt (specific times) helped me figure out how to tailor the diet to my needs. You can try to drink some bone broth or any broth to help. I put together a small list of info that helped me.

Foods to Eat
    You should base the majority of your meals around these foods:

Meat: Red meat, steak, ham, sausage, bacon, chicken and turkey.
    Fatty fish: Such as salmon, trout, tuna and mackerel.
    Eggs: Look for pastured or omega-3 whole eggs.
    Butter and cream: Look for grass-fed when possible.
    Cheese: Unprocessed cheese (cheddar, goat, cream, blue or mozzarella).
    Nuts and seeds: Almonds, walnuts, flax seeds, pumpkin seeds, chia seeds, etc.
    Healthy oils: Primarily extra virgin olive oil, coconut oil and avocado oil.
    Avocados: Whole avocados or freshly made guacamole.
    Low-carb veggies: Most green veggies, tomatoes, onions, peppers, etc.
    Condiments: You can use salt, pepper and various healthy herbs and spices.

Foods to Avoid
    Any food that is high in carbs should be limited.

Here is a list of foods that need to be reduced or eliminated on a ketogenic diet:

Sugary foods: Soda, fruit juice, smoothies, cake, ice cream, candy, etc.
    Grains or starches: Wheat-based products, rice, pasta, cereal, etc.
    Fruit: All fruit, except small portions of berries like strawberries.
    Beans or legumes: Peas, kidney beans, lentils, chickpeas, etc.
    Root vegetables and tubers: Potatoes, sweet potatoes, carrots, parsnips, etc.
    Low-fat or diet products: These are highly processed and often high in carbs.
    Some condiments or sauces: These often contain sugar and unhealthy fat.
    Unhealthy fats: Limit your intake of processed vegetable oils, mayonnaise, etc.
    Alcohol: Due to their carb content, many alcoholic beverages can throw you out of ketosis.
    Sugar-free diet foods: These are often high in sugar alcohols, which can affect ketone levels in some cases. These foods also tend to be highly processed.

Magnesium issues:
    If you wish to increase your magnesium intake through keto-friendly foods, focus on incorporating these low-carb, magnesium-rich options:

Spinach
    Avocado
    Swiss chard
    Pumpkin seeds
    Mackerel

Here is a link that can help the initial phase of being on keto and how to avoid "keto flu":
    https://www.ruled.me/keto-flu-remedy/

• smmye2
    smmye2 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    👋👋👋 I’ve dabbled with keto now off and on for a few years. Not super strict but I’m getting there. Baby steps!! I started only for a few weeks before having baby #3. Restarted about 5/6 months ago after baby and I feel like I’m doing ok. Had to start counting calories and holding myself accountable via mfp and ig. It’s not hard for me to stick to the foods, I’m just a terrible mindless & emotional eater and im definitely having to train myself to stop eating when I’m not hungry and listen to my body. Good luck everyone, we’ve got this!!!💪
  • jlizk
    jlizk Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I'm not fully strict keto (but aim for low carb) and always looking for friends if anyone wants to add me :)
  • ven1s2882
    ven1s2882 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm starting keto tomorrow
  • CMM7249
    CMM7249 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hey Waz Up?! I'm not doing Keto, but I to am very serious about my health and appearance! Looking for people like yourself on here that has the same goals! I'm friending you as soon as I finish this comment!
  • KrisChampagne
    KrisChampagne Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Completed 1 week today! I eased in to this and I am feeling great. How is everyone else doing?