Anyone else get irritated when they see people lose weight super fast.

Options

Replies

• vanityy99
    vanityy99 Posts: 2,583 Member
    Options
    jwells62 wrote: »
    vanityy99 wrote: »
    So I’ve lost around 23 pounds sense June. I’m very proud of myself, I still have to lose about 40 pounds to lose.
    But I’m not going to lie it’s been extremely hard when I see other girls losing 40-50 pounds in 5 months. It seems everywhere I look woman are losing tons of weight super quickly.
    I know that I’ve done this in a very healthy way I dunno I just get discouraged when I see how slow my journey is going.

Maybe they had more weight to lose? weight is easier to lose when you’re bigger. I wouldn’t compare my weight loss to a person whose starting weight was way higher than mine.

Either way just be happy for others and try not to care 😊

I'm not sure easier is the right word for losing weight when you're bigger. CICO is CICO. It might be that your deficit is a higher number when you're big vs when you're small, but you have to consider that losing 1000 cal a day from your lifestyle is still a bear.

It sucks for a smaller person that they 'only' get 1200kcal/day, but they also need a lot fewer calories than I do to survive. That hunger creeps in just the same when at a deficit.

My point was bigger ppl lose weight at a faster pace compared to a person who doesn’t have much to lose..........that’s all.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,436 Member
    Options
    No. Unless there's a scenario where I can help someone else, thinking about their goals, how they achieve them, and how fast that happens is a waste of my time and emotional energy . . . time and emotional energy I could spend on something productive.

Focusing on what I can influence or control is productive. Focusing elsewhere isn't.

I have other areas where I'm trying to improve, beyond weight management and nutrition. If I were constantly distressed that other people genetically have more athletic potential at my sport, or are better at drawing, or make prettier jewelry, or started learning to play my musical instrument decades ago unlike silly me, or whatever . . . I'd never get a darned thing done. And I'd be unhappier, besides. Why would I want to be unhappier?
  • Luciicul
    Luciicul Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I guess what irritates me most is people passing judgement on others. There is no scientifically proven method that works for everyone to lose weight and maintain it long term; there are only countless theories, that all work for some people and not others (keto, low fat, low carb, paleo, vegan, probiotic, high protein, vlcd, hiit, cardio, weightlifting, yoga, etc) - we all have to work out what works for ourselves, and it is not “better” or “worse” than what others do for themselves.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,973 Member
    Options
    Most of the people I know who lost weight quickly ended up gaining it back. It takes time to establish good, sustainable habits. Faster isn't necessarily better. And as other posters already said, comparing yourself to others isn't helpful. Envy is a useless emotion.

Yes, this is what I was going to say.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Nope. I could care less what other people are doing. Usually my first thought is that there are likely losing at too fast a rate and may be sacrificing valuable muscle tissue. Faster isn't better.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    IDK...I guess I lost weight pretty quickly. Are you irritated by me? Also, just because someone loses weight quickly doesn't mean it's all water or they'll gain it all right back again.
  • GreenValli
    GreenValli Posts: 1,054 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    I am not irritated. Seeing my co-workers lose weight it actually motivates me. If they can do it, so can I.
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    Options
    Not at all. I'm stoked for them!

Weight management isn't a zero sum game. Their success in no way impacts, diminishes or takes anything away from me so why wouldn't I want to see and take pleasure in a fellow human being's success and happiness.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    Irritated isn’t the right word for me. There were points when I found myself a little envious because it looked easier for others. Then I got to know them. It wasn’t easier for them they were just doing things I wasn’t.

One gym friend was constantly telling me she didn’t count what she ate and had simply reduced her portions. The weight fell off her. We worked out together so I knew what her fitness looked like. But what I didn’t realize is that she walks a lot more than I realized in her job. When she had told me she had an office but also did field work I assumed she was mostly in her office since I am - but she isn’t and takes 12,000-16,000 steps a day at work. I also didn’t realize that when she did she reduced portions she actually had cut her portion size in half, be it visually she had still actually cut far more calories than I had from her previous diet.

Moral of the story - you have no idea what is going on that you don’t see influencing other people’s results so best just to focus on your journey. You’ll get there.
  • HeliumIsNoble
    HeliumIsNoble Posts: 1,213 Member
    Options
    I sometimes feel worried for them and their health.

Not irritated though. I chose a lower target rate of loss, so why would I be irritated that people are losing at a faster rate than I chose to do so?
  • etherealanwar
    etherealanwar Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I understand where you're coming from. I know I should not let it bother me but I cannot help it. The way I see it is that I could have been done with the weight loss portion by now had I not strayed off my path in the beginning. I originally set a goal to reach my goal weight in one year from 200 lbs to 125 lbs. I reached 148 lbs by the end of 2018 and projected to take another 4-5 months to get to my goal which I am honestly upset about. Thing is I am eating 1,200 calories a day and do not plan on going any lower so I assume my TDEE is just not that high. I never lost at a rate of 2 lbs a week when I *should* have (back at my starting weight). Nothing I can do about it.

On the positive side, I have ingrained better eating habits along the way and I'm very confident I will not have trouble maintaining. I HAVE lost a significant amount of weight which I do realize and am proud of. If I could make it so it doesn't bother me I would but sadly it does (and I KNOW comparing our progress is not a smart idea). I'll get to my goal eventually!
  • lthames0810
    lthames0810 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    I am the one losing faster than a woman at work and she seems irritated about it and it makes me feel bad. She always goes on an extreme diet then inevitably quits in a couple of weeks.

She once asked me how I do it. When I told her she insisted that could never work for her. I think she's actually angry at herself, not me, but I feel bad anyway.
  • Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I'll congratulate them. Realistically speaking, I have no way of knowing that they won't keep the weight off even though personal experience (myself and others) suggests otherwise.

I just don't see a reason to discourage someone who recognizes that they need to do something about their weight. I will speak up though if I have reason to believe that what they're doing may cause actual long term harm though. That's usually only if they initiate the conversation though, usually....
  • etherealanwar
    etherealanwar Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    IDK...I guess I lost weight pretty quickly. Are you irritated by me? Also, just because someone loses weight quickly doesn't mean it's all water or they'll gain it all right back again.

I don't think anyone is irritated at people who lose weight quicker than themselves, more so just jealous most of the time. Those who regain are typically those who went on a crash diet of sorts and did not learn new eating habits that would aid them in maintenance. In no way does this mean that all those who lose fast re-gain but it's been evident that a majority do.