Tennis elbow - Treatment? Ideas?

2»

Replies

• notreallychris
    notreallychris Posts: 501 Member
    Following for tips. Have had for a few months also. Really slowing down my groove. Stuck doing cardio, core and legs since I can't grip anything with arm outstretched.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    abadvat wrote: »
    find a doctor that is willing to inject you cortisone - problem solved.

I`d like to avoid that. But thanks.

Not sure why you would want to avoid cortisone. To each his own, I guess. I have had a few over the years and are totally worth it. Sigh

No more push ups for you. You need to rest the elbow. It could take upwards of a year to heal.

Cortisone for tennis elbow is not always helpful. It often removes the pain for a while but symptoms can return with a vengence. It`s sort of a bandaid treatment. Like how taking a pain medication will reduce the pain but generally not fix the underlying problem.

Plus I have insulin resistance brought on from autoimmune steroid treatment. I`d like to avoid steroids in general.

No more push-ups for now. :(
  • nvmomketo
    stealthq wrote: »
    Have to agree, you should see a doctor and get an actual diagnosis. You may have done more damage to the tendon than you think and need active treatment.

In the absence of such, you already know the best advice is what you keep violating - rest until fully healed. No trying to work it when it starts to feel better - particularly with something that puts obvious intense strain on your elbow like a push-up contest.

I did see a doctor about it about 4-5 months ago. He agreed it was tennis elbow. He advocated rest and nothing else.

I try to rest it but it`s my right hand so it is harder. Eating, writing and even pouring coffee hurt. I even try using the mouse left handed...

But yes, I should rest it more. (But basketball season is starting soon, she whined.)
  • nvmomketo
    upuplonnie wrote: »
    If you look up, tennis elbow on youtube you'll find several stretches that work amazingly well. Stretching those tendons can start to relieve the pain and ice and heat will help as well.

Thanks. I am finding some. Stretching will help I am sure.
  • nvmomketo
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    I would see either a sports massage therapist, or physical therapist. There are stretches and exercises that can be done to reduce the pain. You could even get back to normal altogether.

I`d like to but money is too tight. Perhaps I`ll splurge eventually if I can`t improve things with some real effort on my own. I`ve been passively waiting up until now.
  • nvmomketo
    rippin2U wrote: »
    Get a brace like the one mimi5151 suggested. I have one and wore it all day except when sleeping. Ice and heat work well in conjunction with this brace. I t does take a few months of rest. No push ups etc...
    B4Rachael wrote: »
    Wear this wrap at night, to avoid bending your arm in your sleep. Also wear it when you know you will be lifting or bending your arm for an activity. This is what helps me. pharmapacks.com/products.php?product=ACE-Elbow-Support-One-Size-1-Each&gclid=CjwKEAjwrvq9BRD5gLyrufTqg0YSJACcuF81TINc1U457_h67hQcl1cs4iOlVV0uWgIrgi7kNyni7BoCqv7w_wcB#.V79MafkrKCg
    BethAnnieT wrote: »
    I've had it for about 2 months now. Ice, ibuprofen, rest, and the elbow brace thingee shown above seem to help, but due to my inability to stop playing tennis and volleyball and such, it still hurts. For me, heat makes it feel good in the moment, but the next day it hurts more. I had to get a new keyboard since I'm at the computer all day, which has also helped. Rest really helps. I try to avoid opening doors, lifting heavy things, shaking hands with people, pulling weeds, and any other non-sport thing that makes it hurt. It's easier than avoiding the sports :) The brace shown above spreads the "pulling" pressure out, so that it's distributed rather than concentrated in a small area. I think it works ok but is not a miracle, for me anyway.
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    I have tennis elbow and have since March.

Why do you think you got it?

No idea. I woke up one morning and it was tender, then it got more tender... It just never went away.

Maybe it's from sleeping with folded elbows. That can irritate the tendon. Try wearing a brace at night for a couple weeks and post an update. :+1:

Thanks. :) I will look into those braces some more. I`ve thought about a night time one to keep it straighter. If I sleep on it, my elbow and forearm becomes pretty sore and stiff.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    I would see either a sports massage therapist, or physical therapist. There are stretches and exercises that can be done to reduce the pain. You could even get back to normal altogether.

I`d like to but money is too tight. Perhaps I`ll splurge eventually if I can`t improve things with some real effort on my own. I`ve been passively waiting up until now.

Fair enough. Perhaps some Google searches on stretching then and maybe see if there is some suggestions on pressure points to try. I've had some really good success with injuries that way, but it hurts at the time.
  • Allaboutthebeach
    Allaboutthebeach Posts: 7 Member
    I got it for the first a month ago. The worst part is leaving my arm hanging when I walk then its so painful to lift. DR said ice/heat and gave me exercises to do. It seems to be getting a little better but I was expecting better results by now. May have to go the Physical therapy route. The DR can set you up with some special exercises to do that may knock it out.
  • billglitch
    billglitch Posts: 538 Member
    edited August 2016
    GiddyupTim wrote: »
    Tennis players get a band that you wear around the top of your forearm. It takes some of the pressure off the irritated tendon. It works quite well for them. You might try it.
    MiMi_5151 wrote: »
    You need something like this: rvbs38qdbm18.jpg

Thank you both. I`ll look into it. I have to admit that the band doesn`t appeal much. That area is pretty tender to pressure.[/quote Those things work great. you will be surprised
  • SoozeE512
    SoozeE512 Posts: 439 Member
    Earlier this year, I had tennis elbow and golfer's elbow...in both arms (could barely pick up a piece of paper, I was in so much pain!)...in additional to strained triceps with limited range of motion in my left elbow and shoulder...it was awful and I feel bad that you've been suffering with this since March. Here's what I learned from my time in physical therapy.

Wear a wrist brace for daily activities. (I had tried a lot of useless elbow braces before I was advised to wear the wrist brace, and this advice was this biggest blessing!)
    http://www.futuro-usa.com/3M/en_US/futuro-us/products/~/FUTURO-Adjustable-Reversible-Splint-Wrist-Brace?N=4318+3294508009+3294529207&rt=rud

Wear a wrist brace to sleep. (I didn't do this, but I wish I had. Mornings are more painful without it.)
    http://www.futuro-usa.com/3M/en_US/futuro-us/products/~/FUTURO-Night-Wrist-Sleep-Support?N=4318+3294508029+3294529207&rt=rud

Wear an elbow support brace for exercises. (This helped when my condition improved enough to return to normal exercise.)
    http://www.futuro-usa.com/3M/en_US/futuro-us/products/~/FUTURO-Sport-Tennis-Elbow-Support?N=4318+3294508041+3294529207&rt=rud

Use a hot/cold pack that straps to the arm. Use cold off/on for 24-48 hours initially while resting the arm. In days that follow, use heat to improve blood flow to healing tendons (tendons are slowest to heal because of limited blood flow). Always warm up muscles with some cardio prior to stretching and strengthening exercises.
    http://www.therapearl.com/products/sports-pack-w-strap/

Do stretches for tennis elbow.
    http://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/stretching-exercises-for-tennis-elbow

Do strengthening exercises for tennis elbow.
    http://www.hughston.com/hha/a.seven.htm

Don't rush to get back to the push-ups. Recovery can take several weeks or months depending on your situation. Best of luck to your recovery!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,974 Member
    Another vote for the strappy band thingie - helped me. Mine was not a severe as yours, though.
  • nvmomketo
    edited August 2016
    Cindecker wrote: »
    I got it for the first a month ago. The worst part is leaving my arm hanging when I walk then its so painful to lift. DR said ice/heat and gave me exercises to do. It seems to be getting a little better but I was expecting better results by now. May have to go the Physical therapy route. The DR can set you up with some special exercises to do that may knock it out.
    billglitch wrote: »
    GiddyupTim wrote: »
    Tennis players get a band that you wear around the top of your forearm. It takes some of the pressure off the irritated tendon. It works quite well for them. You might try it.
    MiMi_5151 wrote: »
    You need something like this: rvbs38qdbm18.jpg

Thank you both. I`ll look into it. I have to admit that the band doesn`t appeal much. That area is pretty tender to pressure.
    Those things work great. you will be surprised

Thanks so much. I appreciate the info.
    SoozeE512 wrote: »
    Earlier this year, I had tennis elbow and golfer's elbow...in both arms (could barely pick up a piece of paper, I was in so much pain!)...in additional to strained triceps with limited range of motion in my left elbow and shoulder...it was awful and I feel bad that you've been suffering with this since March. Here's what I learned from my time in physical therapy.

Wear a wrist brace for daily activities. (I had tried a lot of useless elbow braces before I was advised to wear the wrist brace, and this advice was this biggest blessing!)
    http://www.futuro-usa.com/3M/en_US/futuro-us/products/~/FUTURO-Adjustable-Reversible-Splint-Wrist-Brace?N=4318+3294508009+3294529207&rt=rud

Wear a wrist brace to sleep. (I didn't do this, but I wish I had. Mornings are more painful without it.)
    http://www.futuro-usa.com/3M/en_US/futuro-us/products/~/FUTURO-Night-Wrist-Sleep-Support?N=4318+3294508029+3294529207&rt=rud

Wear an elbow support brace for exercises. (This helped when my condition improved enough to return to normal exercise.)
    http://www.futuro-usa.com/3M/en_US/futuro-us/products/~/FUTURO-Sport-Tennis-Elbow-Support?N=4318+3294508041+3294529207&rt=rud

Use a hot/cold pack that straps to the arm. Use cold off/on for 24-48 hours initially while resting the arm. In days that follow, use heat to improve blood flow to healing tendons (tendons are slowest to heal because of limited blood flow). Always warm up muscles with some cardio prior to stretching and strengthening exercises.
    http://www.therapearl.com/products/sports-pack-w-strap/

Do stretches for tennis elbow.
    http://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/stretching-exercises-for-tennis-elbow

Do strengthening exercises for tennis elbow.
    http://www.hughston.com/hha/a.seven.htm

Don't rush to get back to the push-ups. Recovery can take several weeks or months depending on your situation. Best of luck to your recovery!

Wow. Thanks for all of the information. I'll look through this today.
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Another vote for the strappy band thingie - helped me. Mine was not a severe as yours, though.

Your vote is noted. ;) Thanks.
  • hellonew2015
    hellonew2015 Posts: 327 Member
    Old Thread but good info. I want to start lifting again but I am afraid that I may get my tennis elbow worse. I have been resting for 3 weeks and feel better but definitely have some pain still. Would I damage it more if I attempt triceps and biceps workouts?
  • h7463
    h7463 Posts: 626 Member
    Old Thread but good info. I want to start lifting again but I am afraid that I may get my tennis elbow worse. I have been resting for 3 weeks and feel better but definitely have some pain still. Would I damage it more if I attempt triceps and biceps workouts?

In a word: yes.

See a doctor to confirm if that's really your problem, and talk to a therapist for appropriate exercises. They might also be able to evaluate your lifting form.
    Not all elbows are alike, and a slight difference in the shape of a joint can result in your own personal perfect, correct form for the individual exercises. E.g. I have trouble with barbell curls, and I chose to do dumbbell curls instead, with my thumbs a bit turned upwards. My elbows like that much better.

Best of luck!
  • mengqiz86
    mengqiz86 Posts: 176 Member
    PT!!!
    And use KT tape while playing.