Lent

Options
Without this turning into a religious debate, I’m curious what you do for Lent if you choose to participate. In years past I have given up meat (2012), soda and juice and Gatorade (2013) and the F word in other years. If I slip, I owe myself 5 push ups. This year I am struggling with ideas. I can’t give up juice and Gatorade this year because of my race schedule and I really struggle with protein if I give up meat. Thanks.

Replies

• SpicyWater
    SpicyWater Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I give up something new every year - haven't decided what to do yet. Honestly giving up swearing would be a good choice for me.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Some things people I know have given up for Lent other than what you've considered: caffeine/coffee, sweet baked goods, television, reading fiction, and candy. Not sure if any of those will work for you, but good luck finding something!
  • Fitnessgirl0913
    Fitnessgirl0913 Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I try and make what I give up for lent a true sacrifice but that is a personal decision because of my religion. I usually give up Starbucks because that is a struggle for me. One year I gave up taking any elevators. My rule though is do not give up anything that can hurt your physical or mental health. I had a friend in college who was borderline under weight and gave up meat for lent but did not know how to do it properly so she lost weight and was under weight and developed GI issues. I also could never give up caffeine totally because if I do not have my morning cup I will pretty much fall asleep while driving or at my desk.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    I usually give up meat, one year I gave up all animal products (doing something more similar to what Orthodox Christians do), and if I'm actively dieting I make sure to do something non-food-related so my reasoning doesn't get confused. I've also given up coffee, alcohol, and sweets in various years (or actions, like using the internet recreationally), generally in addition to the no meat thing which is a long-standing practice of mine and not that hard for me anything (re alcohol, I don't drink anymore, so can't do that).

I also always add something in.

I love Lent.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    My best/worst Lent ever I gave up anger. That was a longggggggg 40days.

That's a good one.
  • Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I have done the same type of things in the past. This year I am actually going to continue my focus on my health and I will be adding extra prayer in my life as well as trying to do something special for my wife a couple times a week.

Mine will be health focused as well - mental health though lol. Most likely centered around getting most eletronic devices out of my life for a good period of time.
  • kbmnurse1
    kbmnurse1 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I give up nothing.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    It’s chocolate this year.
  • amberellen12
    amberellen12 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Good input! I think I’ll give up complaining about people and stuff and only 3 beers 3X’s a week.