• pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    mph323 wrote: »
    pinuplove wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Phirrgus wrote: »
    A prime example of why eyeballing doesn't work....

n6s88ad7wtsq.jpg

I want to add some reinforcement to this. 2 tbsp is not a whole lot, easy to get it wrong. 2 tbsp x 7 days a week = a whopping 1330 calories. There are so many other calorie dense foods out there - it's not hard to get it way wrong when guessing ;)

Not to mention the fact that a tbsp generally means a level tablespoon, not what most people dig out with a tablespoon lol

I only had one glass of wine!

ashwib2dtkn0.jpg

Oh, yeah, before Weight Watchers opened my eyes to wine points/calories my glass when gardening outdoors was one of the big red ones - and I could put away two on a good night.

red-carlisle-drinking-glasses-522410-64_1000.jpg

Nice! Keeping it classy :lol:

I drink diet ginger ale out of wine glasses sometimes...

I drink milk out of mine. Perfect for cookie dipping!
  • Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options

I drink milk out of mine. Perfect for cookie oreo dipping!

:p

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    The only thing possibly classier for outdoor wine enjoyment would be the wine sippy cup.

czrv6uwinurl.jpg

Classier, but way too small for my gardening wine bibbing :lol:
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options

Chips Ahoy cinnamon thins (and I love where this thread has gone :lol: )
  • Phirrgus
    Options

Chips Ahoy cinnamon thins (and I love where this thread has gone :lol: )
    Yes! LOL
    We get these all the time. I usually kind of sort of do a little damage to them lol

awzls356525i.jpg
  • Phirrgus
    Options
    Danp wrote: »
    I've never understood the logic behind the idea of starvation mode. The idea that you're not eating enough calories to sustain yourself so you start storing energy instead of using it to sustain yourself makes absolutely zero sense.

It's like walking into work to find out that your hours have been cut and you'll be earning half what you previously did, then thinking to yourself "Damn, I don't have enough money coming in now to pay the rent or buy food for the family. I know! I'll just put what little money I am getting into a savings account and leave it there instead of spending it. That'll work!"

Kinda ridiculous huh

It's been said before - watch Naked and Afraid, or if one is gutsy enough, there's plenty out there about starving people all over the world.

I get that "Starvation mode" and "Starvation" are two different things, but I'm not able to do the mental gymnastics required to make it work.

I mean, does the # of calories required to simply stay alive drop to the point where we just kind of shamble around in starvation mode until we decide to eat more?

I don't know...just an old fart trying to learn stuff.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    I've never understood the logic behind the idea of starvation mode. The idea that you're not eating enough calories to sustain yourself so you start storing energy instead of using it to sustain yourself makes absolutely zero sense.

It's like walking into work to find out that your hours have been cut and you'll be earning half what you previously did, then thinking to yourself "Damn, I don't have enough money coming in now to pay the rent or buy food for the family. I know! I'll just put what little money I am getting into a savings account and leave it there instead of spending it. That'll work!"

Kinda ridiculous huh

It's been said before - watch Naked and Afraid, or if one is gutsy enough, there's plenty out there about starving people all over the world.

I get that "Starvation mode" and "Starvation" are two different things, but I'm not able to do the mental gymnastics required to make it work.

I mean, does the # of calories required to simply stay alive drop to the point where we just kind of shamble around in starvation mode until we decide to eat more?

starvation is when you dont get enough calories and your body needs energy so it will use your fat,lean mass,muscle(including organs) and break them down into fuel to run your body.you keep losing weight and in extreme cases your organs and body will start to shut down and death will often follow if taken too far. not to mention that it will cause tooth loss,hair loss and so on.

you wont have the energy to even get out of bed. look up videos of these women who starve themselves. now starvation mode since it doesnt exist is said to be when you stop losing weight and fat from eating too little because the belief was your body would fight to prevent famine. Not so.starvation mode is NOT a think you dont just stop losing weight, you do end up with adaptive thermogenesis which can slow weight loss and cause you to burn less energy to keep your body running. that can happen with low calories but not low enough for starvation.

the body will slow its energy production down if not getting adequate calories but eventually you will lose the weight if you dont start eating enough as your body will use what resources it has.
  • Phirrgus
    Options

Kinda ridiculous huh

starvation is when you dont get enough calories and your body needs energy so it will use your fat,lean mass,muscle(including organs) and break them down into fuel to run your body.you keep losing weight and in extreme cases your organs and body will start to shut down and death will often follow if taken too far. not to mention that it will cause tooth loss,hair loss and so on.

you wont have the energy to even get out of bed. look up videos of these women who starve themselves. now starvation mode since it doesnt exist is said to be when you stop losing weight and fat from eating too little because the belief was your body would fight to prevent famine. Not so.starvation mode is NOT a think you dont just stop losing weight, you do end up with adaptive thermogenesis which can slow weight loss and cause you to burn less energy to keep your body running. that can happen with low calories but not low enough for starvation.

the body will slow its energy production down if not getting adequate calories but eventually you will lose the weight if you dont start eating enough as your body will use what resources it has.

Ok thanks, basically what I thought. The notion just seemed a bit ridiculous. Thanks :)
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    try2again wrote: »
    one more thing: I don't track training I don't log it. because it's ALWAYS over estimated. Track your calories and stop worrying about how much you burn in exercise. calculate your TDEE and eat 500 cal under that and you WILL lose weight regardless if you train 5 times a day. so any calories burned after TDEE is a bonus.

So you exercise, which you know burns SOME calories, but because you aren’t sure how many you choose the only number that is definitively wrong, which is zero.

Additionally, losing weight faster is not always advisable.

That's a very eye-opening way of looking at a practice so many are prone to do!

Man and I am not sure which of the awesome guys around here posted it that way and it totally resonated with me as well.

@heybales or @PAV8888 or @stevencloser maybe?

Sounds like a @PAV8888 thing ;) Now I won't feel bad about stealing it too. :)
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,603 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    try2again wrote: »
    one more thing: I don't track training I don't log it. because it's ALWAYS over estimated. Track your calories and stop worrying about how much you burn in exercise. calculate your TDEE and eat 500 cal under that and you WILL lose weight regardless if you train 5 times a day. so any calories burned after TDEE is a bonus.

So you exercise, which you know burns SOME calories, but because you aren’t sure how many you choose the only number that is definitively wrong, which is zero.

Additionally, losing weight faster is not always advisable.

That's a very eye-opening way of looking at a practice so many are prone to do!

Man and I am not sure which of the awesome guys around here posted it that way and it totally resonated with me as well.

@heybales or @PAV8888 or @stevencloser maybe?

I vote that @heybales said it first... cause that's what I remember (and it's so true, too!) :smiley: