No success on keto

Options
2»

Replies

• anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    plitrico wrote: »
    I find it hard to eat enough fat while keeping the calories down. I have been hovering around 1800 calories a day. I also started going to the gym this week so maybe I need to give it more time. Thanks for all of the replies.

And this is the inherent misconception with keto. "Fat" in the low carb "high fat" community can come from dietary fat and/or body fat. If you have a lot of fat to lose, then you have enough "high fat" on your body that contributes to the diet.

It doesn't mean you have to slam fat macros down to an unpalatable level, it just means that you shouldn't be focusing on dietary fat as a goal. Rather, you would be better off focusing on protein and the natural fat that comes along with it is enough to cover your needs, while eating low carb vegetables and fruit to ensure a wide variety of micronutrients and vitamins.

Regardless of any diet, total calories control your body composition, whether it's to lose or gain mass.
  • azzeazsaleh5429
    azzeazsaleh5429 Posts: 77 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    You are doing good with respects to weight loss but make sure you measure waist hip chest arm and leg to see the difference in size. Also exercise is not required to lose weight but it shapes your body up and gives you strength. It takes a while for keto adaptation for some people too.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    jdog022 wrote: »
    If you are trying to lose fat and doing keto for weight loss, then you don't need to eat a lot of fat.

Keep your carbs and calories under goal. Keep your protein over goal. Don't worry about eating extra fat, your body is already on a high fat diet if you have fat to metabolize.

That’s not how any of this works..

I disagree. In ketosis, your body uses fat for fuel because you are not eating many carbs. That fat can come from your body fat stores or from your diet. If you eat too much fat, you are less likely to use body fat for fuel, meaning you won't lose weight. Prioritizing protein over fat makes sense.

Yes, but with caveats.

The original post was vague irt to how it all related to overall energy balance, and that's where the issue was I would wager.

Saying:
    Keep your carbs and calories under goal. Keep your protein over goal. Don't worry about eating extra fat, your body is already on a high fat diet if you have fat to metabolize

Outside of context literally sounds like you're advising a person to eat at caloric surplus. I assumed that the advice was rather that the PP was advising that, after using MFP guidelines and calculating a deficit to eat that way, but that wasn't clear in what she typed.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    How many calories per day do you think your body can metabolize from fat? Unless you know that answer you still need to take in sufficient dietary fat. I honestly don’t think it’s as much as we would all hope

What they are trying to say, but are saying awkwardly is that a keto person should:

1. Determine their overall caloric needs to eat at deficit.
    2. Determine an appropriate amount of protein to eat based on .65 - .85 grams per pound of ideal body weight
    3. Eat 20-50 grams of net carbs
    4. Use the rest of the calories left in their overall calories from step 1 to determine how much fat they should be eating instead of focusing on eating "high fat".

Right--the OP seemed to think it was more important to hit a certain level of fat than to have the right calories, and they are basically saying don't go over your calorie goal to get in the fat, because when you are on a deficit you will also be burning your body fat. It's sensible advice. No one was saying not to eat any dietary fat and expect to burn enormous amounts of body fat instead.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    How many calories per day do you think your body can metabolize from fat? Unless you know that answer you still need to take in sufficient dietary fat. I honestly don’t think it’s as much as we would all hope

I don't advocate very low calorie diets. Don't get me wrong. I agree with people getting 1200-1500 kcal as a minimum, but I think sometimes ketoers sacrifice protein for fat when they start out. KWIM?

For a woman who creates a 1200 kcal diet, ideally she should be getting upwards of 400 kcal (100g) protein a day. Most ketoers get 100-200 kcal a day from carbs. That leaves only 600-700 kcal from fat, or somewhere around 80g. The common mistake I see is reducing protein down to about 50g and then increasing fat. If one wants to catabolize their body for energy, I think it's better to use your body fat than it is to use lean mass tissue. ;)

For maintenance, I would hope the same woman is still around 400 kcal protein, perhaps the same carbs, but is now consuming an extra 700-800 kcal of fat to get closer to 2000 kcal. She doesn't want to use body fat for energy any more so she needs to eat more.

ETA the longest supervised fast on record for steady weight loss was close to a year. If one eats nothing you will eventually use all fat up and start into protein, but as long as there is a reasonable calorie deficit, most don't need to add extra fats
  • jdog022
    jdog022 Posts: 693 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »

What they are trying to say, but are saying awkwardly is that a keto person should:

1. Determine their overall caloric needs to eat at deficit.
    2. Determine an appropriate amount of protein to eat based on .65 - .85 grams per pound of ideal body weight
    3. Eat 20-50 grams of net carbs
    4. Use the rest of the calories left in their overall calories from step 1 to determine how much fat they should be eating instead of focusing on eating "high fat".

Right--the OP seemed to think it was more important to hit a certain level of fat than to have the right calories, and they are basically saying don't go over your calorie goal to get in the fat, because when you are on a deficit you will also be burning your body fat. It's sensible advice. No one was saying not to eat any dietary fat and expect to burn enormous amounts of body fat instead.

I agree but someone could interpret his response as just that. Easily. There are many new people reading these posts. But it’s been clarified in subsequent posts at this point