Clarification

Options

Replies

• kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    lx1x wrote: »
    So I’m still confused. Are you logging exercise (stationary biking) on mfp? And which Fitbit do you have?

As for what people do...

For exercise calories - you should he eating them. Your deficit is set up so you will lose that amount even if you never exercise at all.

However, some people eat a percentage of the calories because some estimates can be quite high (like 400 calories for 30 min on the elliptical).

When it comes to having a synced tracker-some people find they estimate correctly, some find they overestimate, some find they underestimate. It takes a good 4-6 weeks (at least) to tell.

And if you’re not weighing your food, all bets are off because chances are that what you’re logging isn’t the amount you’re actually eating-which is Ok if you do so consistently.

Fitbit only transfer the steps to MFP.. anything hard exercise should be input in MFP if that's your main app u use for calories counting.

I personally use MFP to just input the meals.. and I use Fitbit do the CICO calc.. synch the cal in to Fitbit app. Personal pref really ..

No. That’s not correct. Fitbit transfers your TDEE to mfp. Mfp subtracts your NEAT and any workouts you’ve entered on mfp. The difference is your Fitbit adjustment. It has nothing to do with steps. It’s TDEE. The steps are listed there, but they have nothing to do with the adjustment amount. Click the information button or go through the entry in the app to see how rhe calculation is done.

Tdee has nothing to do with extra excercises.. it's based on basic info..

Here's a link to calculation
    https://tdeecalculator.net/

TDEE comprises everything: bmr, daily activity, intentional exercise.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options
    So I’m still confused. Are you logging exercise (stationary biking) on mfp? And which Fitbit do you have?

As for what people do...

For exercise calories - you should he eating them. Your deficit is set up so you will lose that amount even if you never exercise at all.

However, some people eat a percentage of the calories because some estimates can be quite high (like 400 calories for 30 min on the elliptical).

When it comes to having a synced tracker-some people find they estimate correctly, some find they overestimate, some find they underestimate. It takes a good 4-6 weeks (at least) to tell.

And if you’re not weighing your food, all bets are off because chances are that what you’re logging isn’t the amount you’re actually eating-which is Ok if you do so consistently.

Fitbit only transfer the steps to MFP.. anything hard exercise should be input in MFP if that's your main app u use for calories counting.

I personally use MFP to just input the meals.. and I use Fitbit do the CICO calc.. synch the cal in to Fitbit app. Personal pref really ..

No. That’s not correct. Fitbit transfers your TDEE to mfp. Mfp subtracts your NEAT and any workouts you’ve entered on mfp. The difference is your Fitbit adjustment. It has nothing to do with steps. It’s TDEE. The steps are listed there, but they have nothing to do with the adjustment amount. Click the information button or go through the entry in the app to see how rhe calculation is done.

I’m talking about the Fitbit calorie adjusment.

I know what TDEE is. I’m making sure OP understands how the Fitbit “steps” adjustment happens. That is based on TDEE. Only.
  • kami3006
    edited February 2019
    Options
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,960 Member
    Options

As for what people do...

You just keep giving info that isn't about this - this is about FitBit adjustments and how that works with MFP, maybe you could read that link I posted. :)

MFP doesn't even use TDEE as its parameter.
  • lx1x
    lx1x Posts: 38,311 Member
    Options
    kami3006 wrote: »

As for what people do...

BMR once again.. based in basic info.. nothing to do with "extra" excercises.

http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/
  • cmriverside
    Options

As for what people do...

From Help at the top of every page: How does MyFitnessPal calculate my initial goals?

Please understand how the tool works.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Options

As for what people do...

You really, really need to read that link about how the Fitbit adjustment works.

Also-BMR doesn’t factor into this at all. With or without a Fitbit.

But seriously-read that link for how the Fitbit works with mfp.

• lx1x
    Options

As for what people do...

You said TDEE, not BMR. Your posts are confusing.

You added BMR.. I'm just clarifying what it is.. its calc on basic info...not "additional excercises"

• lx1x
    Options

As for what people do...

You really, really need to read that link about how the Fitbit adjustment works.

Lol...give me a sec.. I'll go on a web explorer to show you pictures. Diff between two apps..
  • cmriverside
    Options

As for what people do...

There are two separate problems here from @lx1x

First he doesn't understand that MFP doen't use TDEE as its initial calculation, it uses NEAT.

Second he doesn't know how FitBit works as far as adjustments when synced to MFP.

Those two things together make this thread a mess.

@lx1x Read the links!! :lol:
  • kami3006
    Options

As for what people do...

You said TDEE, not BMR. Your posts are confusing.

You added BMR.. I'm just clarifying what it is.. its calc on basic info...not "additional excercises"

I feel like we're talking in circles. You said:

As for what people do...

Which is not correct. TDEE includes all activity and intentional exercise.
  • kami3006
    Options

As for what people do...

There are two separate problems here from @lx1x

First he doesn't understand that MFP doen't use TDEE as its initial calculation, it uses NEAT.

Second he doesn't know how FitBit works as far as adjustments when synced to MFP.

Those two things together make this thread a mess.

@lx1x Read the links!! :lol:

I agree, just read the links, they're a fantastic source.

I apologize for adding to the mess. I just think readers should know that TDEE does include exercise.
  • Duck_Puddle
    edited February 2019
    Options

As for what people do...

Lol...give me a sec.. I'll go on a web explorer to show you pictures. Diff between two apps..

LOL. I’ve been using mfp for 7+ years and have had a Fitbit connected for 5+ years. I don’t need pics because I actually understand how both work individually and connected.

Save your picture taking efforts and put that time to reading the links provided above.

• Duck_Puddle
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Yeah-I hadn’t realized he didn’t understand the mfp side at all either when I was responding. I thought he just didn’t understand the fitbit part. The rest has become clear since.

What a mess.

Not sure why the quote didn’t stick. Oh well-responding to @cmriverside
  • cmriverside
    Options
    The pictures will be fun. :neutral:
  • dawnymo1
    dawnymo1 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Holy crap now I am totally confused...……….almost sorry I even asked at this point can we explain the acronyms to a newbie please
    so am I adding my stationery biking each morning into MFP? I will go back and look at the link when I have time but not today
  • lx1x
    Options
    qealzrnjdn4s.png
    Above is what MFP looks like..

19xx my your "base" tdee.. + only the steps getting counted as excercise..

9dz19980h68b.png
    What Fitbit looks like..

The tdee on Fitbit.. 3k+ (which added all my excercises at the real time)
  • Duck_Puddle
    Options
    qealzrnjdn4s.png
    Above is what MFP looks like..

19xx my your "base" tdee.. + only the steps getting counted as excercise..

9dz19980h68b.png
    What Fitbit looks like..

The tdee on Fitbit.. 3k+ (which added all my excercises at the real time)

Please read the links above.

These photos show exactly nothing to do with the calorie adjusment.