Keto after Weight Loss Surgery

Options
Hi. I was wondering if anyone has tried Keto after weight loss surgery. I am 21 months post op from VSG and was considering Keto. I see a lot of success stories with Keto... but know that it would need to be modified since I’m a bariatric patient. Not sure what the macros would look like. Has anyone tried this and were you successful?

Replies

• bulldogcpa
    bulldogcpa Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Theresa, I am a little over 90 days post op and the diet that the doctor recommends is a kind of loose-KETO protein based diet. I am going in for my 4 month check-up with the dietician and will ask the question. I truly think that a nice balance will be healthy.

21 months.....WOW. Worth it?
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Hi. I was wondering if anyone has tried Keto after weight loss surgery. I am 21 months post op from VSG and was considering Keto. I see a lot of success stories with Keto... but know that it would need to be modified since I’m a bariatric patient. Not sure what the macros would look like. Has anyone tried this and were you successful?

I'm not a professional, so feel free to take this with a grain of salt. But if Keto would be a drastic change to what you are currently eating (like much higher in fat, or lower in fiber) I would be concerned about digestion issues and perhaps run that past your doctor before doing it.

I'll also add that folks who are successful with keto are those who find fat filling, you still lose weight based on your calorie deficit. Are you not losing weight, or are you struggling with appetite?

Hopefully those who have had WLS can add their experience!
  • whatalazyidiot
    whatalazyidiot Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I would just follow the traditional post-bariatric diet. It seems pretty close to low carb anyway, since the one I am familiar with is high protein, low sugar (my sister had surgery almost 2 years ago). Her foods ends up being lower on carbs, with the exception of fruit.

What did your doctor and nutritionist recommend? I assume they gave you one when you got the procedure?
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    My doctor recommended a low carb high protein diet post surgery and said that would be my new normal. Personally, I feel keto would be a challenge due to the high fat content. Like @Kimny72 said, consider digestion issues. I can eat some amount of healthy fat but too fat much can make me really nauseous.

Some people in this group have tried keto, post your question here and you will get answers from people who have experience with it -

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/637-gastric-bypass-vsg-lapband
  • drdales
    drdales Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I had gastric bypass about 5 years ago. I don't regret it a bit as my insulin dependency is still half what it was pre surgery. I have gained half of the weight back over the years. Recently I have been looking in to Keto and other supplements to aid in my arthritis and inflammation. Lowering carbs is supposed to help with arthritis inflammation. I have also been partaking in apple cider vinegar and lemon juice twice a day. A few drops of Stevia helps it go down easier. Do some Google searching and you will find a ton on YouTube about this.

I am only about a week in to the Keto lifestyle but enjoying it so far. Not using any fast acting insulin now. My opinion so far on Keto is it is like an expensive Italian sports car. It needs an excess of attention. I am using the My Fitness Pal application to track my macros and Fitbit Charge 3 to track activity. I am following the generic 75% fat, 20% protein and 5% carbs. I have a cast iron gut so I have had little issue with that ratio.

My other comment on Keto is all the fat makes me feel "full" and or "satisfied". I never really got that from the gastric bypass. Meal prep is a pain and eating out is pain... Getting that much fat in is harder than you think. I hope my attitude gets calibrated with time. Keto is a financial commitment as well. Quality fats, protiens and low\no carb flours and sweeteners are quite a front end commitment. Almond flour, coconut flour, grass feed butter and meat, electrolytes, green super food supplements, erythritol, stevia, .... I could keep going but do your research first. Keep in mind that electrolytes and magnesium needs to be supplemented from day one to avoid the Keto flu. Try out some of the keto dishes and such. I love Matt and Megha on YouTube. They are an amazing Keto couple.

My wife had VSG about 4 years ago. She had great success and has had two surgeries to put her body back together. Her "sharpie" (nickname for her stomach) keeps her in line. She works out most days and is doing great.

Hope this helps,
    David
  • TheresaOrtiz3
    TheresaOrtiz3 Posts: 28 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Surgery was definitely worth it. I do struggle with appetite here and there. I haven’t lost weight since I was 10 months post op. I’ve been maintaining my weight. I’m very frustrated at this point. My surgeons office suggests 800-900 calories per day and to stay under 50g of carbs. It’s helping me to maintain but not lose. I’ve also tried to lower carb intake but even that doesn’t move the scale.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    Surgery was definitely worth it. I do struggle with appetite here and there. I haven’t lost weight since I was 10 months post op. I’ve been maintaining my weight. I’m very frustrated at this point. My surgeons office suggests 800-900 calories per day and to stay under 50g of carbs. It’s helping me to maintain but not lose. I’ve also tried to lower carb intake but even that doesn’t move the scale.

How are you determining your caloric intake? If you truly were eating 800 - 900 calories per day, you would *definitely* be losing weight at a dramatic pace. Do you use a food scale to weight what you eat?
  • TheresaOrtiz3
    TheresaOrtiz3 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I use a scale and I do count my calories. But I’ve been at a stall for a long time. I’ve been maintaining for about a year now. I haven’t lost weight since I was 10 months post op.
  • whatalazyidiot
    whatalazyidiot Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    How far are you from your goal weight? If you're eating less than 50 carbs a day, you might be doing keto without realizing it.

Have you talked to your doctor or a registered dietician not affiliated with your surgeon's office? They might have some more guidance beyond what the surgeon is able to help you with.

That low calories scares me a little.