Side by side photos hurt your fat friends?

Options
https://www.google.com/amp/s/fatgirlshiking.com/2019/02/01/weight-loss-comparison-photos-hurt-your-fat-friends/amp/

I posted this in general health but wanted people who are at the part of their journey where they may be proud of their success and doing side by sides. What are your thoughts?

Replies

• ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    There is a very long discussion about this over in the debate forum:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10376680/fat-acceptance-movement#latest
  • rosiorama
    rosiorama Posts: 300 Member
    Options

The other thing to consider is that before-and-after pics posted anywhere on the internet - including here - can be 'borrowed' and then show up on some other website as false testimonials to how great that sites' fat-burning supplement, diet plan, or <insert any other bs weight loss product or scheme here> works. It happens. More frequently than you'd imagine. ;)

Yup. This happens. Some “snake oil” fitness “guru” who is self-employed but calls their scheme a weight-loss academy and then posts others’s photos while taking credit for the weight loss.

I may be exaggerating a little. But I’ve seen it and I follow people on IG whose photos have been used without their permission.
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    I had never thought of photos being stolen for others benefit.....that sucks! I will not do that!
  • Opalescent_Topaz
    Opalescent_Topaz Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Lol. That is an absurd article. I mean, far be it for people to be proud of their successes because someone might get their little feelings hurt over it. What a time to be alive.

To be clear, I avoid cameras like the plague even after losing 40 pounds, so you can imagine what it was like before my weight loss. I don't have very good "before" pictures nor "after" pictures, and I don't use social media (unless you count this or the once a month I use LinkedIn).
  • neugebauer52
    neugebauer52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    For me those before / after pictures are inspiring and give me an excellent idea what can be done, what is possible long term. As far as my own pictures are concerned: I seem to be the last stone - age survivor, don't even know how to put my picture next to my name on the MFP site. Never mind things like "selfies" - totally lost.
  • SoaringOccamy
    SoaringOccamy Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I think it is always nice to see people looking out for the feelings of those who might be going through a rough time right now, but at the same time you can't live your life walking on eggshells.

I have been morbidly obese as long as I can remember but I am so miserable in my own state that when I see other people succeed I feel happy for them and it inspires me.

That having been said, I think there is a lot of shaming, belittling, ignoring, and even exploitation of fat people in this world and it really can affect peoples' sense of self-worth. And I think in a lot of ways it can make people who are overweight feel extra sensitive to any possible perceived devaluing of the state of being fat.

I know that people who are discouraging of your weight loss can be difficult to deal with, but I think that if I were to succeed in my own weight loss and post a pic, and if that pic was commented upon by a friend or family member who felt shamed by it, I would simply tell them of my own struggles (with disability and health issues due to my weight) and make sure they knew that mattered to me no matter their size, shape, or health.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!