Why is it advised to lose .5lbs a week?

Options

Replies

• vanityy99
    vanityy99 Posts: 2,583 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    Its mainly based on compliance and the ability to get adequate nutrients. It becomes a lot more difficult as you get leaner to create that deficit.

But for me, i am cutting quickly. Slowly doesn't work for me.

Cutting = losing weight?
  • jasonpoihegatama
    jasonpoihegatama Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    vanityy99 wrote: »
    brittlb07 wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    MikePTY wrote: »
    The less fat your body has on it, the less comfortable it feels burning a lot of fat quickly. If you try to lose too much weight too quickly, your body will start to burn muscle instead because it doesn't want to reduce fat. That is why it is advised for only .5 pounds a week when you are close to your goal. It makes it more likely that your loss will be fat and not muscle.

Gotcha.
    If you’re eating enough protein and lifting light weights, yet still managing to lose 1lb? Still not a great idea ?

As someone who formerly wasted a lot of time lifting light weights, I suggest switching to lifting heavy (for you) immediately.

This woman hit her goal weight and was not happy with how she looked (the picture in the middle) and changed her exercise routine to achieve the picture on the right. See how she is fitter looking despite weighing 18 pounds more? That is due to having more muscle to fat.

fd4glfp6fk0r.jpg

See, all that work and I don’t see much of a difference, that tan does wonders.

Hahahaha I was thinking the same thing! Just a tan!
    SCoil123 wrote: »
    The less fat your body has on it, the less comfortable it feels burning a lot of fat quickly. If you try to lose too much weight too quickly, your body will start to burn muscle instead because it doesn't want to reduce fat. That is why it is advised for only .5 pounds a week when you are close to your goal. It makes it more likely that your loss will be fat and not muscle.

Gotcha.
    If you’re eating enough protein and lifting light weights, yet still managing to lose 1lb? Still not a great idea ?

As someone who formerly wasted a lot of time lifting light weights, I suggest switching to lifting heavy (for you) immediately.

This woman hit her goal weight and was not happy with how she looked (the picture in the middle) and changed her exercise routine to achieve the picture on the right. See how she is fitter looking despite weighing 18 pounds more? That is due to having more muscle to fat.

fd4glfp6fk0r.jpg

The definition is the legs and abs shows more with a tan true but if you look at the before there was no real muscle definition before the tan at all. I bet she feels 100xs better too

I’m talking about the middle picture compared to the last picture with the tan.
    There’s not much of a difference if any at all IMO.

She is 18lbs more and that bit more toned! Or am i just looking to hard?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    Its mainly based on compliance and the ability to get adequate nutrients. It becomes a lot more difficult as you get leaner to create that deficit.

But for me, i am cutting quickly. Slowly doesn't work for me.

Cutting = losing weight?

Yes. Cutting is a bodybuilding term for losing weight.
  • Luciicul
    Luciicul Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    they fail to tell you that.trying to lose 1-2 lbs a week when you have say less than 20 lbs to lose is asking for issues.the less fat stores you have to help with the weight loss the more lean mass you are going to lose being too aggressive with weight loss. your body only burns so much fat at a time as it is.

Do you have any evidence to back this up? The studies I have seen have indicated that to preserve lean muscle mass you need to eat enough protein and do some resistance/strength exercise; I have not seen any studies conclude any significant difference in muscle mass based on how fast or slow the fat is lost.

The other thing to consider is that men and women's bodies are different. Healthy women have a much higher fat % than men; healthy men have a higher % of muscle mass than women. What a man needs to lose fat and maintain muscle may be different to what women need.

If a woman has 20lbs of excess fat to lose, there is no reason that I can see that fat can't be aimed to be lost at a rate of 1lb per week, while eating sufficient protein and undertaking resistance/strength training to preserve muscle mass. Of course this may not show up on the scales immediately - that is a different matter - as muscles may uptake extra water for recovery, plus hormonal changes throughout the month, which can affect 'weight' on the scales - but trend over time should be in the right direction. As far as I can see, there is no evidence to suggest that the body would cannibalise existing muscle under these conditions, so no "issues" to worry about.
  • jasonpoihegatama
    jasonpoihegatama Posts: 496 Member
    Options

Gotcha.

fd4glfp6fk0r.jpg

Gotcha.

fd4glfp6fk0r.jpg

The definition is the legs and abs shows more with a tan true but if you look at the before there was no real muscle definition before the tan at all. I bet she feels 100xs better too

I’m talking about the middle picture compared to the last picture with the tan.
    There’s not much of a difference if any at all IMO.

She is 18lbs more and that bit more toned! Or am i just looking to hard?

She is definitely more toned in appearance

Yeah i just didn't want it to seem i was looking to hard!
  • Luciicul
    Luciicul Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    FYI, to reach my fittest, leanest, strongest and lightest adult weight; I lost 17.5lbs in 12 weeks while doing a mix of cardio and strength, eating plenty of protein and good nutrition, and counting calories to eat at a deficeit. I was simply interested in being fitter and healthier; not trying to have the 'perfect' body.

I had a Dexa body composition scan around this time, and my BMI was 18, total weight 60kg (132lbs), fat mass was 10.8kg (24lbs), lean mass was 46.7kg (103 lbs), bone mass was 2.5kg (5.5kg) - which was all healthy for my height, gender (female) and age.

Yeah, my body could have had more muscle if I wanted to get into a bit of body sculpting and look like women you see in magazines, which would have meant weighing a heavier total weight, but with my frame I don't think it would have been healthy for me to lose any more fat than I did. I didn't feel like I had lost muscle during the twelve weeks; on the contrary I felt stronger than at the beginning.

The above was the last leg of a much bigger weight loss journey; I lost 27kg (59.5lbs) in 29 weeks. Clearly losing weight fast didn't have any significantly negative impact on my muscle mass or bone density, as I was in the healthy range for both of these.

(My problem is in maintenance; I didn't keep the weight off; the type of exercise and weights that I did to lose the weight I didn't enjoy and slowly stopped as the motivation dropped and life got busy and stressful with other things to consume my attention. This time around I'm trying to do exercise that I enjoy and create habits I'll be able to keep up long term.)