Why is it advised to lose .5lbs a week?

Options

Replies

• CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    Luciicul wrote: »
    they fail to tell you that.trying to lose 1-2 lbs a week when you have say less than 20 lbs to lose is asking for issues.the less fat stores you have to help with the weight loss the more lean mass you are going to lose being too aggressive with weight loss. your body only burns so much fat at a time as it is.

Do you have any evidence to back this up? The studies I have seen have indicated that to preserve lean muscle mass you need to eat enough protein and do some resistance/strength exercise; I have not seen any studies conclude any significant difference in muscle mass based on how fast or slow the fat is lost.

The other thing to consider is that men and women's bodies are different. Healthy women have a much higher fat % than men; healthy men have a higher % of muscle mass than women. What a man needs to lose fat and maintain muscle may be different to what women need.

If a woman has 20lbs of excess fat to lose, there is no reason that I can see that fat can't be aimed to be lost at a rate of 1lb per week, while eating sufficient protein and undertaking resistance/strength training to preserve muscle mass. Of course this may not show up on the scales immediately - that is a different matter - as muscles may uptake extra water for recovery, plus hormonal changes throughout the month, which can affect 'weight' on the scales - but trend over time should be in the right direction. As far as I can see, there is no evidence to suggest that the body would cannibalise existing muscle under these conditions, so no "issues" to worry about.

I get men and women are different. but if a person doesnt have enough fat to lose and are eating too little calories trying(big deficits) then what IS going to be lost? now if a person has 20 lbs of true fat that may make the big difference but Im not talking about that I should have clarified. Im talking about those with 20 lbs to lose and dont have that much fat to lose its not going to be safely done. and everything I have read states that its safer to lose at a slower rate than at a faster rate(more than 2 lbs a week) UNLESS under the strict care and observance of a dr. But at my current weight and fat levels FOR ME 2 lbs would be too aggressive as it would put me at less than my BMR of 1272. I would be at 1200 calories I only have about 30 lbs to lose realistically. but my fat is about 20-25%(going by those pics everyone posts here). I dont even lose at that fast of a rate anyway so 2lbs wouldnt work for me even if I were to try again. but thats me.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    I haven’t read all the posts, but OP the National Institute of Health recommends only losing 10% body weight over 6 months for sustainable weight loss.

So for example, I am only looking at 2.2lbs per month loss which is around 0.5lb per week.

That said there are also recommendations like a max of 1% body weight loss per week for fat loss (which actually gets really hard the leaner you are).

It’s recommended a lot though for sustainability. It also helps prevent people from getting into a binge/restrict cycle that can ultimately hinder weight loss.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    edited February 2019
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    Luciicul wrote: »
    FYI
    Salixiana wrote: »
    Pretty much every reputable medical website (CDC, NHS in the UK, Mayo Clinic, etc) says it's safe to lose 1 to 2 lbs a week.

Same in Australia - recommendation for healthy adults is 0.5-1kg a week, which is 1.1-2.2lbs.

Of course in practice will have ups and downs, and it can be hard to lose this much consistently every week so people shouldn't feel bad if they are losing less. But there is no health reason I can see why (when the health departments of educated nations recommend this) it would be a problem to lose this much as long as you are eating clean and healthy to meet nutritional needs as well.

it is safe to lose 1-2 lbs a week IF you have plenty to lose. they fail to tell you that.trying to lose 1-2 lbs a week when you have say less than 20 lbs to lose is asking for issues.the less fat stores you have to help with the weight loss the more lean mass you are going to lose being too aggressive with weight loss. if you have more than 50 lbs to lose then yes 2 lbs /week will be safe for a short time. ask those who go on very low calorie diets to lose the weight quickly when they dont have a lot to lose what can happen over time. your body only burns so much fat at a time as it is.

There is no evidence that there is a limit to fat loss. Even Lyle McDonald's original estimates haven't been demonstrated in studies. And yes, while in general, cutting quickly is going to cause increased muscle loss, that isn't always true. Its going to depend on your training and protein levels.

Where people fail is excessively cutting calories while not exercising and not eating adequate protein.

no there isnt a limit to fat loss but your body only burns so much a day how much Im sure will vary person to person. but when you dont have the fat stores to lose its not going to come off fast even if you are cutting calories really low. which is why I said being too aggressive with weight loss.and even with enough protein and traninging if a person is eating too little calories I dont think that the protein and training is going to be enough cause the caloires are too little correct? or no?

I'd recommend reading some of Lyle's protocols, especially PSMF. Even with low body fat, you can lose quite a bit of fat without muscle loss. The bigger issues you tend to face with aggressive fat loss, is ability to comply/adhere to the diet, the willingness to eat primarily lean protein only, recovery from training, some lethargy and probably binging depending on your personality.

Where is becomes an issue is when people aggressively diet without refeeds. The leaner you are, the more refeeds are required.

And of you really want to understand the particulars of those diets, go over to the bodybuilding section. Especially the below thread.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10661905/anyone-cutting-after-a-bulk#latest