To those that don't drink alcohol...

Options

Replies

• kiwi_dee
    kiwi_dee Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I've never been a big drinker anyway but since having kids and being either preggy or breastfeeding almost constantly for the past 6 years (so therefore only having the occasional drink in between times) I can't handle alcohol AT ALL. It goes straight to my face and I look like a tomato :laugh:

I haven't had a drink in over 2 years now and I actually don't miss it, but generally I have no issues with other people drinking (unless they are violent, driving drunk etc)
  • sugarbone
    sugarbone Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I'll drink if it's a social event but I get ill and hungover from it so easily I try to avoid it. It's also expensive empty calories, boo!
  • batalina
    batalina Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    because of family history way back, my mom was never much of a drinker, and she always warned me and my brother that we are predisposed to alcoholism, so we should be careful. which my mind kind of turned into IF YOU DRINK ALCOHOL YOU WILL BE AN ALCOHOLIC, and... i don't want that! now i know i can safely have two drinks, spaced reasonably, and following the at-least-one-water-per-drink rule, but it took me a long time to learn that, and i still don't drink that often at all (nor does my brother), because i also really hate how being drunk feels!
    i'm entirely too much of a control-freak. if i'm not in control of myself or the situation... it's not a good time.
  • shannonkk
    shannonkk Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    It's too expensive, I hate being hung over, it's hard on the body, and I'm naturally happy and "high" on life. No need for booze.
    Ditto
  • clarech
    clarech Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I haven't drunk in 5years because I experienced the damage it can do to people as my ex was a alcoholic and chose the booze over his own daughter. Plus I had to go total as I can't stop at just one and in my head I think that if I have one I won't be able to stop.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    Options
    I don't drink alcohol because I can't. I'm Korean and in some Asian genetics there is a deficiency that doesn't allow my body to properly process alcohol and it makes me very ill when I do. I don't know if there's an actual name for it but it can be known as Asian flush. Google it. So anyway, that's why I don't drink. It has nothing to do with weight loss or addiction or personal choice.

Oh but I met some Koreans, Chineses, Japaneses and Filipinos who drink a lot but they feel just fine with it. It maybe more on your body's response to alcohol rather than genetics.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    Options
    I don't drink alcohol because I can't. I'm Korean and in some Asian genetics there is a deficiency that doesn't allow my body to properly process alcohol and it makes me very ill when I do. I don't know if there's an actual name for it but it can be known as Asian flush. Google it. So anyway, that's why I don't drink. It has nothing to do with weight loss or addiction or personal choice.

My husband is from the Philippines and whenever he drink beer his face gets really red....it only takes one beer...we just say he is allergic:bigsmile:

I'm a half-Filipino but I never got that feeling, I don't know if it has something to do with being mixed or no but I met some Filipinos who drink a lot but do not suffer from that situation though I do met many who have that similar thing. Like I mentioned above, it maybe more on your husband's intolerance to alcohol than simply genetics. Anyway I don't drink now because of my diabetes and hypertension.

EDIT: All I got from drinking is that it makes me a more talkative joker, a better cumbia dancer and a more courageous singer with bad voice hahahaha :laugh: :drinker:
  • NeonNikki
    NeonNikki Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    amen :)!
  • NeonNikki
    NeonNikki Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Wisconsin is such a horrific binge drinking state... college ruined me *LOL*

(yes, i just blamed the state and college... I'm well aware)

wisconsin is the effing worst. I'm from MN.. Moved to WI for college. Worst drinkers in the country...
    ^^ Meant to say amen to that--haha- But yeah. It's cold in WI-...maybe that's why.
  • BuffTexan
    BuffTexan Posts: 270
    Options
    1. Don't like the taste
    2. Makes me feel like complete crap the day after
    3. No way I'm going to spend my $$$ on something I do NOT like and makes me feel bad! Duh!
    4. Impairs my already questionable judgement :laugh:
  • scarletleavy
    scarletleavy Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    I actually used to drink pretty heavily until this past year when I basically quit cold turkey. My initial reasons were for weight loss/fitness, but as time went on I found a million other reasons to not drink. I'm at the point now where I'll occasionally have a glass or two of wine (maybe a few times a year), but other than that I have no interest in drinking. Even small amounts of alcohol give me a pretty mean headache now.

One of the biggest reasons I don't drink is because alcoholism is rampant in my family and I'd say until I quit I was heading down that road and I don't ever want to go back there. I've seen what serious alcoholism does to people and families and I want to stay far far away from that. Alcoholism is a scary scary thing.

When I drank a lot, especially in college, I was using alcohol as a social crutch and a way to numb my feelings and insecurities. I also made a whole mess of bad decisions while drinking.

I really enjoy working out and doing outdoor activities/sports and I can't do those while drinking or hungover, so I just don't drink.
  • surfino
    surfino Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Im Italian, it's stricly prohibited here to not drink wine during suppers :):)
  • Zsangel
    Zsangel Posts: 202
    Options
    I just don't see the point. If you only drink a little, you don't feel it so it's not worth it. and if you drink enough to feel it/make it worth it, it make you feel like you want to die the next day!
    and it tastes horrible (straight vodka shots anyone? (will blame a questionable game of monopoly for that, DON'T even ask!!:sick:))
    and it's expensive, I'd rather buy shoes!!
  • stephyy4632
    stephyy4632 Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    just really don`t care for it ( I HATE the taste of beer yuck) wine is ok but not something I drink often maybe once a year if that and other drinks I just have no desire at all
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I can't say I DON'T drink it, but it's rare.

It just honestly isn't worth the calories to me. I don't like wine and beer, so most of what I like is very high in calories and sugar and I can take it or leave it, so I generally leave it.

I also just don't enjoy the feeling of being drunk.
  • BerkleyEL
    BerkleyEL Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I only occasionally drink (once a month-ish), and only 1-2 drinks max.
    I don't like the feeling of losing control, and I much prefer to be in control of my actions.
    It's easy to have a good time without it.
  • trailrider1963
    Options
    I love to drink. I love it so much that I pretty much had to give it up, because I had difficulty stopping until I'd had 6 or 8 and I craved it every day. It was impacting my health, not to mention my wallet. I can drink a little now and then but it takes huge self-control to stop after one or two. It's usually easier for me to just not have the first one than to try to stop after a couple. Nowadays I might have a couple drinks every few weeks if I'm unusually tense from something and can't sleep.

Alcohol and drug addiction are all over my family going back generations. Because of how much I love to drink, I have to be extremely careful or I know I'll become an addict too.
  • MrsSWW
    MrsSWW Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    ooooooops! walked in on the wrong thread..........*backs out quietly so nobody notices glass of wine in hand

:laugh:

:wink:

:drinker: I'm with you!!!
  • Irishoneof11
    Options
    Backing out also, but mine is Jack n Coke. Just not quite as much or as often. ONLY reason.....AGE...and don't practice like I should!!
    :drinker: :drinker:
  • liberaltendencies
    liberaltendencies Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I love drinking with friends, but I hate being hungover. I also hate blowing a hundred dollars at the bar. My parents were alcoholics so I make it a point to only drink in social situations once or twice a month. Plus, when I'm drunk, I want to eat junk and that doesn't work out too well with the whole lifestyle change thing. ;)