Unfrosted Pop-tarts

Options

Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Result #3: Buttered un-iced Toaster Strudel is also pretty darn good, but I like it better with the icing!

I'm glad I've taken this little excursion, but I guess I have a legit sweet tooth. My n=1 anecdote :wink:
  • pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Result #3: Buttered un-iced Toaster Strudel is also pretty darn good, but I like it better with the icing!

I'm glad I've taken this little excursion, but I guess I have a legit sweet tooth. My n=1 anecdote :wink:

Unfrosted blueberry poptart with cream cheese!!! SO GOOD. Would also be good with goat cheese... oh boy.
  • hrafnkat
    hrafnkat Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Yet another necro thread resurrection I don't understand, but this is worse because it reminds me I never tried buttering a Pop-Tart as I assumed I would one and a half years ago.

The thread was revived by the OP, who finally got around to trying an unfrosted, buttered Pop Tart after more than a year, and got the answer to their original question "Why do they exist?" - apparently they exist because they're delicious with butter.

Now I have to go and try Pop Tarts with butter. Sounds really good, actually.
  • SoaringOccamy
    SoaringOccamy Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I would imagine they have a somewhat reduced sugar content, which is probably somewhat better for people who have to watch such things.

But myself personally, I just really like them. They are one of my favorite pop-tarts. But then I also almost never use the icing with my toaster strudel either. Maybe I am the weird one.
  • garystrickland357
    garystrickland357 Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    I just opened this thread for the first time. I only read the first page. I don’t need this kind of negativity in my life. :) Brown Sugar Cinnamon for the win. I’m not sure why any other flavor exists... Oh, and eat them while drinking a Dr. Pepper.
    Of course, I got really fat eating these - but that’s my fault...
  • Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,894 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    You make a nice scrambled egg, bacon and pancake breakfast (or dinner or lunch) and then throw out the pancakes. Replace with toasted brown sugar cinnamon pop tarts. Cover with maple syrup.

Profit.

True story :p <<<because there isn't a big enough drool smiley in the world for that meal. Yep.

edit: Bacon - lots of bacon....
  • sklarbodds
    sklarbodds Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Because they taste better.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    I wonder how a pop tart and toaster strudel would come out in an air fryer!

I have never thought of adding butter or anything, but that makes sense. I have never had an unfrosted poptart because I just thought "why"?! I love sweet and the icing is my favorite part. The unfrosted are only like 20 calories less, so I never had an urge to try them, lol.

I am curious how a poptart would come out in an air fryer now, especially an unfrosted one. Might have to experiment. I bet toaster strudel would be incredible in an air fryer!
  • GreenValli
    GreenValli Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    I haven't had a Pop-Tart since I was a kid. Not tempting to me at all.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    I wonder how a pop tart and toaster strudel would come out in an air fryer!

:astonished: Someone needs to test this for me, I don't have an air-fryer!
  • skelterhelter
    skelterhelter Posts: 803 Member
    Options
    Pop Tarts were my weakness before starting this journey. I could easily eat two packages in one sitting. It's like the more you have the more you want with those. Frosted Strawberry are my all-time favorite, but S'mores was good when I wanted something chocolatey. Brown Sugar and Cinnamon is also awesome.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,906 Member
    Options
    GreenValli wrote: »
    I haven't had a Pop-Tart since I was a kid. Not tempting to me at all.

Never had them growing up; did have them when older at friend's, probably not since in late teens or early 20s.

Like donuts, my mind boggles on how these can be considered breakfast food.
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    The unfrosted pop-tarts look naked to me, lol. However, I do like the pop-tart crisps that they've come out with. I guess they are still a bit frosted, though. Just less so.
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    Options
    I imagine that they exist so that you can buy a tub of frosting alongside them and spread on as much as you want.

l-9510-when-your-mom-buys-pop-tarts-but-she-gets-the-unfrosted-ones.jpg
  • pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
    Options
    cwju98g6bfuv.png

the exception... has anyone tried these???
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,906 Member
    Options
    cwju98g6bfuv.png

I wonder why they would need artificial flavoring for something cinnamon-flavored. I get why artificial vanilla is used - it is so much cheaper. But this puzzles me.
  • harper16
    harper16 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    cwju98g6bfuv.png

I've not but they sound interesting.
    I'm still waiting for pop tarts that are frosted on both sides.
  • RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    cwju98g6bfuv.png

I tried one - not bad but I wouldn't buy them. Not pretzely enough