Macro % - 33/33/33 ??

So...
My husband and I had a LOT of success with staying in calorie, as well as working to have a 'balanced' pie chart throughout the day.
He had a trainer that showed him this.
Is this similar to how others use macros?

Replies

• Fflpnari
    Fflpnari Posts: 975 Member
    I have mine set to 35c/ 35p/ 30F. I find this works for me and helps me to stay on track. If I have a high carb day Im way hungrier. Play around and see what works for you
  • pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    I only pay attention to macros as an afterthought, and not for meal planning. Therefore, mine are all over the place. I’ve had very high carb days and very high fat days. In general, unless I’m having a meat feast like yesterday, my protein consumption tends to be low. I eat with the goal of listening to my desires, staying within my calories budget and hoping when it’s all said and done, that I’m satisfied.

This is working for me.
  • kodiakke
    kodiakke Posts: 379 Member
    I only started paying attention to macros when I was losing gas halfway through my workouts. I looked at my logs and realised I was eating lots of fat, middlish protein, and little carbs. I've been tinkering with my carb intake only as a means of making sure I'm properly fueled.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    I aim for a minimum of .8g protein per pound bodyweight. My doctor wants my fat very low (20%). I need at least 150g carbs (ideally a little more) or my runs and workouts tank.

That generally works out as 30-35% protein, 20-25% fat, usually about 45% carbs.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    I set mine to 40% carbs, 25% protein, 35% fat.

The protein is 0.8g per pound of bodyweight, and the fat i have learnt is enough to keep me satiated and the rest carbs.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,935 Member
    I target 0.8g protein per pound of healthy goal weight (0.6-0.8g while losing), 0.35-0.45g fats per pound of healthy goal weight, and let carbs fall where they may to balance calories. I set my percentages so it's close to that at base calories, but in practice eat to gram goals of 100g P and 50g F as minimums. Carbs usually end up around 200g +/-. (I'm in maintenance.)

Alongside that, I shoot for a bare minimum of 5 servings of varied, colorful veg/fruit, and prefer 10+ servings (80g = serving), for micros and extra fiber.
  • JBanx256
    JBanx256 Posts: 1,471 Member
    I'm currently at 40% protein, 30% carbs, & 30% fats (cutting).
  • Bend_and_sway
    Bend_and_sway Posts: 22 Member
    I do 40c 40p 20f but I find myself going over on fat all the time. I have been second guessing mine break down BUT I also want to be consist for a while.
  • robbell678
    robbell678 Posts: 140 Member
    25 carb 40 fat 35 protein is my current macro and losing weight, gaining definition and feeling better.
    Fish, avacodos, nuts/seeds and low sugar foods are my mainstays.
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    I change mine around depending on a variety of things, but generally speaking I keep it at 2 or 2.2 protein per kilo bodyweight, then roughly 40% of my total allowance in Carbs and the rest is fats.

It all depends on how you feel though. I feel better and fuller with more carbs. I can't high fat it's just not satisfying for me and makes me nauseous, but I rarely drop below 35F because then it's too low and I start to crave egg yolks or something like that.

Protein alone does not satisfy me, I need the carbs.

Other people are super happy on high protein or high fat lower carbs. I've tried both and both made me hungry and miserable even if with the same overall calorie budget, just the macros split differently.
  • neugebauer52
    neugebauer52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    300 days ago I started on 20 % carbs and about 40 % each for fat and protein. Over time my daily meal plan changed to around 30 % carbs and 35 % each fat and protein. I have noticed that my body needs slightly different
    percentages during winter and during summer months. I am comfortable with those macros % and can maintain my meal plan long term.
  • cretiarose
    cretiarose Posts: 7 Member
    I never knew about the 0.8g per pound... thanks!
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    I aim for a minimum of .8g protein per pound bodyweight. My doctor wants my fat very low (20%). I need at least 150g carbs (ideally a little more) or my runs and workouts tank.

That generally works out as 30-35% protein, 20-25% fat, usually about 45% carbs.

Almost ny exact macros lol...
  • This might be a stupid question but how do do I change my daily calories and macro intake on MFP I literally have no clue been trying to do it for days
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    This might be a stupid question but how do do I change my daily calories and macro intake on MFP I literally have no clue been trying to do it for days

Goals, nutrition goals
  • rosiorama
    rosiorama Posts: 300 Member
    edited February 2019
    What I pay most attention to is that I get a minimum of 20% protein. I eat fruits amd veggies every meal. Sometimes I have ridiculously high fat days... c’est la vie. If I bump up my protein goal to 30, I never reach it.

I also follow the .8 protein per pound... and I realize 20 is a low in terms of meeting that which is why I use that as my absolute minimum.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,932 Member
    edited February 2019
    This might be a stupid question but how do do I change my daily calories and macro intake on MFP I literally have no clue been trying to do it for days

Go to MY HOME > Goals

clickety: https://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/my_goals

cretiarose, you'll have to set them in 5% increments...so either 30 or 35% unless you pay for the Premium version (I wouldn't.) I just use the default setting 50C/30F/20P - it works fine, I'm nearly always under on carbs and over on the others.