Looking for fellow dog owners

Options
I was wondering if anyone has a dog that they would like to incorporate into their work out? I was thinking of starting a dog walkers club and we would walk our pups for at least 25 minutes a day. Then maybe we could add other things to make it more interesting.

Replies

• foremant86
    foremant86 Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    i'd join! i've got 4 pooches plus i watch my sister's puppy during the day so i usually take 3 or 4 different walks
  • morganhccstudent724
    morganhccstudent724 Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    Jada (my Beaglier) and I are in the process of C25K. We walk/run every night. She is 15 weeks so it wears her out which is a PLUS. I live in a small town but I would LOVE to find people in my area to do the same thing =)

Count me in =)
  • Amo_Angelus
    Amo_Angelus Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I've got a dog, we rarely go out for under an hour :P
  • TerraGirl17
    TerraGirl17 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I'm in, we have 3 labs and they are just getting ready for duck/goose season so we are spending extra time with their workouts
  • datguy2011
    datguy2011 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    My dog (beagle) does c25k with me... week 4 starting tonight :)
  • kimcatania
    Options
    I walk with my blind pit/lab mix everyday. Usually 15-30 minutes depending on the weather.
  • firegirley
    firegirley Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I'll try! I have a Lab and a Husky cross who could most definately use the exercise!!
  • lstnlondry
    lstnlondry Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    count me in, I have 2 dogs that I have to walk seperatly!
  • Huskeryogi
    Huskeryogi Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    My dog was part of my inspiration to get healthier. He had a vet visit in May and they said he was 3-5lbs overweight. Not horrible but I pretty decent percentage when he weighed 65lbs. It was bad enough that my laziness was hurting my health.

We've been doing C25K and then twice a week we go out and run/walk 4 miles without the program.

I'm down 19 lbs and as of his last appt Gizmo is down 4.5lb!. So he's at goal weight!

Next spring I'm going to buy a bike and the dog bike attachment to see if I can really wear him out!
  • sarahmaryfearnley
    sarahmaryfearnley Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Love to join! We have an older great dane/lab mix (Rupert) who cannot run but loves to walk and a 2yr doberman (Bella) who can run for miles and miles. I usually walk them for 30min in the mornings and then husband will take them out at night and takes Bella on his runs.
  • zippo32
    zippo32 Posts: 1,419 Member
    Options
    2 dogs, one cattle dog, one mutt with husky features.
  • sarahmaryfearnley
    Options

Gizmo is down 4.5lb!. So he's at goal weight!

Way to go Gizmo! An inspiration to his momma and us all.
  • TerraGirl17
    TerraGirl17 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    2 dogs, one cattle dog, one mutt with husky features.

I LOVE cattle dogs!! We had one for 12 years and she was amazing!! After she passed away we got a puppy but she was killed when she was 8 months old by our neighbor. After that we decided to switch breeds due to our young children and now we have labs, but cattle dogs always hold a very special place in my heart!
  • BerkleyEL
    BerkleyEL Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I own a Lab/Pitt Mix who gets a 30-45minute walk each day, and he comes with hubby and I on the C25K runs we do as well.
    Tired dog = happy dog!
  • o0Amanda0o
    o0Amanda0o Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I would love to join, but i don't know if my dogs can walk that long because of the hot weather. I have a Shih-Poo and a Yorkie and combined they are 15 pounds, lol.
  • morganhccstudent724
    morganhccstudent724 Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    Tired dog = happy dog!

Tired dog = happy owner! :flowerforyou:
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to subtly encourage my husband to start a C25K program. He used to run and loved it. We have a treadmill, but I thought it would be fun for him to take our Wilson along. He's mostly dachshund but we think a little schnauzer mixed in. His legs are a lot longer than pure dachshunds. And he runs super fast around the yard. He would love to go running with dad, at least while my husband builds back his endurance. But so far, my subtle efforts have not gotten very far.
  • sarahmaryfearnley
    Options
    Tired dog = happy dog!

Tired dog = happy owner! :flowerforyou:

Ha! Agreed. It makes me laugh that it sounds like a locomotive in here for 20min when we get back.

@voidingface - it's still way hot here too. We walk for sure bf 10am, bf 9am is better and around 8pm when the sun is going down. A couple of health tips for the furry ones in the heat:
    Do not feed within an hour bf or after walking,
    Take breaks in the shade - we have a grassy spot under an oak that they run for and lay down to wait for me when they are off leash,
    If you have a safe area, letting them off leash also seems easier on them bc they can go at their own pace.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to subtly encourage my husband to start a C25K program.
    I thought you were going to say your hubby is a dog....
    He can be, sometimes...
  • curlyjayne
    curlyjayne Posts: 120
    Options
    i have a german shepherd, we go out for about 6 miles 2 to 3 times a week xxx