Saying no to office junk food

Options

Replies

• mangofish44
    mangofish44 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I had a big breakfast or even just im cutting back a bit on sweets.
  • Strongfitmama100412
    Options
    They already know. They say “I'm not even going to ask i know you bring your own lunch and you wont eat out”
    I never felt i would hurt their feelings. I bring my lunch from home and always have. They know i eat healthy and exercise. (17 years working there)

For the temptation of when they bring things in. I just think of how hard i worked and its not worth it. Usually if i have something unhealthy i dont feel well after.

• smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    I work in an office where sewers and junk took is always on hand and either breakfast or lunch is provided at least a few times a month but it is rarely healthy. How do I turn down these things that I am expected to eat without causing issues or hurting someone's feelings?

It's ok to have something now and then if it fits in your calories.

On the good side (and bad side) for me, I'm allergic to so much stuff now that eating random food people bring in can trigger a physical reaction I don't want, so I have to avoid.
  • smantha32
    Options
    LisaLethal wrote: »
    I will usually just throw in a little white lie... "Oh shoot, I'd love to... but I just ate." Or a good ol, "Ah dang, I would totally but what I brought is going to go bad if I don't eat it today." Now the planned potlucks are a bit tricky. I usually sign up for a healthier dish, and load up on that and try to find a few other items that are high in protein or load my plate with veggies so it looks like I'm partaking. No one really notices what you have or don't have on your plate, or if you mention, "Gee thanks I'll get one in just a few when I'm done working on this."... they will typically forget all about you. :)

Another thing is you can always bring your own healthy dish to the potluck then only eat what you brought. :)
  • JohnnytotheB
    JohnnytotheB Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Always remember that "no" is a complete sentence!! If you feel you have to take it for aesthetics, throw it in the trash right away. Trust me people bring in junk food because misery loves company. I used to bring in donuts "for everyone" because I didn't want to be the only person eating them.
  • smantha32
    Options

7FINISHEDCHOCOLATE.gif

This would have been me before they started making everything with corn syrup instead of sugar. Now I'm allergic. B@st@rds.. ruining my chocolate binging.

• runnermom419
    runnermom419 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I work in an office where sewers and junk took is always on hand and either breakfast or lunch is provided at least a few times a month but it is rarely healthy. How do I turn down these things that I am expected to eat without causing issues or hurting someone's feelings?

A few that I've used:
    "I just ate - can't think about another bite right now. Looks delicious though, thank you!"
    "My stomach has been weird today, so I will pass this time. Thank you though!"
    "Looks great, but no thank you."
    Homemade items - tough call. If I am reasonably comfortable that you don't hate us all and want to poison us and that you don't prepare the food on the same surface where your cat walks after it uses its litter box, I will probably eat it.

I work with someone who recently admitted (out loud) that she does not always wash her hands after using the restroom. Can you guess who's cooking I will no longer touch with a ten-foot pole? She also does have a cat that she admits likes to help her cook.
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options

A few that I've used:
    "I just ate - can't think about another bite right now. Looks delicious though, thank you!"
    Homemade items - tough call. If I am reasonably comfortable that you don't hate us all and want to poison us and that you don't prepare the food on the same surface where your cat walks after it uses its litter box, I will probably eat it.

I work with someone who recently admitted (out loud) that she does not always wash her hands after using the restroom. Can you guess who's cooking I will no longer touch with a ten-foot pole? She also does have a cat that she admits likes to help her cook.

Ewwwwwww😖
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options

A few that I've used:

I have seen countless people at work step out of the bathroom stall and walk right out the door without washing. I mean, even if that is what you always do, when you see a coworker standing there, don't you at least care enough to give the impression that you are not a disgusting person and go through the motions of washing? And no one can figure out why the stomach flu constantly sweeps through the office.
  • tirowow12385
    tirowow12385 Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    I pretend to eat, I also take my share and put it in a bag to take home and I'll eat it when I have calories available. I sometimes provide snacks.
  • Emberlain
    Emberlain Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    "No thanks" usually suffices. Remind yourself that if the other person keeps nagging you, they are the ones being rude. If it is someone I know well I will say I'm prepping for competition and need to make my weight class. If it's someone I don't know well I just say 'No thank you' until they get the message and go away. At the end of the day, no is a complete sentence and you don't owe anyone an explanation.

Don't invent allergies. It perpetuates the myth that genuine allergy sufferers are embellishing or exaggerating and it will only bite you on the *kitten* when you forget you lied.

Really, just saying no isn't as bad as it seems.
  • ellyseb1
    ellyseb1 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I've done this a few times: Show up late for the birthday cake gatherings, and usually there is nothing left to eat. I have a coffee, so at least I seem social and don't miss out on the conversation.
  • patches1975
    patches1975 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I just say no thanks, if I get and "c'mon just have some" I have been saying recently..."my winter jackets don't fit anymore but lets not talk about it" I laugh, they laugh and no one asks again!
  • mdreddie
    mdreddie Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    If they don't put the food literally in your hands or offer it directly to you, ignore it. But if it's given to you directly, just say "No, thank you! I've got something eating later. Enjoy!"
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,624 Member
    Options
    God it's terrible! People will bring in cupcakes, donuts, pizza, and just leave SO much in the break room. I pack my lunch every day. If I know there will be food I'll try to schedule maybe 1 item into my daily calorie limit. I also give away some of the food to my clients because I know staff are not going to eat all of that and it will just go to waste lol it's tough though I hear you. I tell people I'm on a diet too if they try to give me something.