So for the last month I am hovering over 130 and just can't seem to break it.

ladybug4233
ladybug4233 Posts: 217 Member
edited February 2019 in Health and Weight Loss
I am a bit frustrated and I think I just need some encouragement. This time last year I lost 30 pounds and I had no problems. I was working out (mainly cardio) about 6 days a week and weighing all the food I ate. I gained 4-5 pounds back and I am trying to loose them (and maybe a couple more.). I am weighing and logging everything I eat (using a food scale) and working out. The difference this time is I have added resistance (weight training) along with my cardio three days a week. I am sore most of the time. I do eat back some of my exercise calories. The reason I say some is I have trouble eating 2000 calories a day. Like yesterday I ate about 1400.

I am aware of the flow chart and I have read it. I intentionally get 10,000 steps a day (Apple Watch) on top of any exercise calories. I have that marked as active should I change that to lightly active?

I know I only have 5-6 pounds to loose and everyone says they are the hardest but I didnt have any problems last year.

Thanks for letting me vent.

Candie

Replies

• ladybug4233
    edited February 2019

[/quote]

If your food logging is on-point, you are likely retaining water for muscle repair. Water weight has nothing to do with body weight from fat and could be masking your fat loss,especially since you mention that the weight training is new for you this time around.

How tall are you?

[/quote]
    I am 5'3". I keep thinking muscle repair too but I just get frustrated.

Do you think I should keep my activity level at active or take it down to lightly active?
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Its most likely being masked by water as the others say, especially if you're new to resistance training. Stick with it.
  • ladybug4233
    I agree with the poster above. A couple pounds of fat loss can easily be masked by water retention, especially if you have recently added to your fitness routine. TOM can also play a roll as well. Do you weigh yourself everyday and track that in a trending app (libra, happy scales)?

Yes I do weigh each morning and use happy scale. Just get frustrated that every morning it is 130-131 no matter what.

Do you think I should keep my activity level at active or take it down to lightly active?
  • trishfit2014
    trishfit2014 Posts: 304 Member
    What activity do you have besides the walking? I would put it at lightly active if you have a desk job.
  • DomesticKat
    DomesticKat Posts: 565 Member
    I think your activity level is fine. I do the same for my activity level. Definitely get your logging on point and be patient. It really matters now that you don't have much to lose. It matters even more when you're strength training because you need several weeks to really show a trend. My weight fluctuates up to 4 pounds a week from water retention from my workouts. I'm up 2 pounds just from yesterday. One week of data collection isn't enough, and no amount of time will be enough if you aren't logging correctly.
  • ladybug4233
    I am a Stay at home mom/wife. I don’t sit much between cleaning, grocery shopping, and chauffeuring. Ha!

• MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,388 Member
    I would set the activity level to slightly active and make sure your weight is updated on your profile. I finally changed my weight and it took about 70 calories off my goal.
  • Running_and_Coffee
    Running_and_Coffee Posts: 811 Member
    When you just have a handful of pounds to lose, you need to examine what you’re eating with a microscope. I’m about your size and have had three kids....What I eat to maintain would result in an amazing weight loss for someone just a bit heavier. I am very active and that’s 100 percent for my sanity!
  • ladybug4233
    caroannv wrote: »
    I’d check whether you’re eating enough protein (~1g per pound of your goal weight), never mind doing too much cardio and keep up the resistance training.

I do need to work on the protein.
  • ladybug4233
    If you are having trouble with your calorie goal, reducing your activity level will not make it easier.

If you are sore from lifting, you are retaining water.

If you are a SAHM of 3, are you doing any unlogged snacking? I will unashamedly admit to eating probably a whole serving or more of goldfish over the course of the day, straight from the kids snack bowls. Licking the spoon/knife after making them yogurt or a PB sandwich, etc. Those add up.

I don't want to reduce my activity level, I am just wondering if I have it marked too high.
  • ladybug4233
    What's your body fat percentage? Do you really need to lose 5 lbs or have those 5 lbs already been replaced by muscle?

Im not sure of my fat percentage. Since I have only added weight training this month I don't know if I have any new muscle weight.
  • ladybug4233
    If you are having trouble with your calorie goal, reducing your activity level will not make it easier.

If you are sore from lifting, you are retaining water.

If you are a SAHM of 3, are you doing any unlogged snacking? I will unashamedly admit to eating probably a whole serving or more of goldfish over the course of the day, straight from the kids snack bowls. Licking the spoon/knife after making them yogurt or a PB sandwich, etc. Those add up.

I log every single piece of food and drink that I put in my mouth. I have one kid who feels like three at times. HA!