Why are restrictive diets so popular?

Options
1235»

Replies

• lcdube01
    lcdube01 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Well for me, I have gone through stages of extreme restriction e.g. cutting "bad" foods and not using oil, or trying to just eat salad. When I started a new programme and realised I was full all the time i felt so guilty. Like how am I losing weight if I feel perfectly satisfied. My brain was messing with me. But as I've seen the weight dropping and my body changing right before my eyes it's starting to dawn on me that food was never the enemy and that being hapoy and satisfied is possible whilst still losing weight
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    Caralarma wrote: »
    People just dont want to admit that losing weight is as easy as putting down the damn fork. I believe most overweight people could lose weight by simply reducing portion sizes without even doing the calorie counting. But no, keto, paleo, and the celery juice cleanse are better choices

Everyone can lose weight by reducing portion sizes. Calorie counting is just a tool to eliminate the guesswork and help a person achieve the most consistent results.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    lcdube01 wrote: »
    Well for me, I have gone through stages of extreme restriction e.g. cutting "bad" foods and not using oil, or trying to just eat salad. When I started a new programme and realised I was full all the time i felt so guilty. Like how am I losing weight if I feel perfectly satisfied. My brain was messing with me. But as I've seen the weight dropping and my body changing right before my eyes it's starting to dawn on me that food was never the enemy and that being happy and satisfied is possible whilst still losing weight

One of my friends feels this way. She doesn't understand how a person could eat a controlled amount of calories for weight loss but feel satisfied and comfortable. She lost a lot of weight by essentially starving herself and had constant hunger pangs that she "just got used to". When her lifestyle changed a bit, she reverted to old habits of overeating. I wish she would understand what you have come to grasp, too.

I can't even talk with her about anything related to nutrition/weight any more because it is too frustrating for both of us. She will watch me eat some guacamole with six chips I have counted out and then an a la carte enchilada and say, "I don't know how you can maintain your weight loss eating Mexican food and carbs, you must have a thyroid condition!" Meanwhile she is sipping on an iced tea and not eating.