Increased appetite after losing weight..??

Options
So I lost about 25 lbs since starting MFP a year ago.
I was on 1200 cal/day. Now I've decided to slow it down. I still want to get leaner (not necessarily going by weight)
I've noticed now that it's extremely difficult for me to stay within my calorie goal which is actually 1680 now. I'm eating like 1800-1900 cals daily, easily, even when I'm not doing any activity and I still feel like I'm only eating when I'm hungry.
So what's the deal? I think its partially because I'm less motivated because I only wanna lose like 5 lbs now, and also partially my appetite has increased significantly.
Is this a problem? Have you experienced this?
How important are calories anyway?
I'm worried I'll gain the weight back if I keep consuming 1800 + per day (even though that's my maintenance amount) because it's so much more than I was eating before.
Any tips or info?
Thx!

Replies

• admaarie
    admaarie Posts: 4,297 Member
    Options
    It is a *thing* when increasing calories to suddenly be experiencing increased appetite.

That's one reason why we preach to not have a huge deficit at the end of weight loss. Going from 1200 to 1800 in one jump will cause this. It's also possible that even 1800 is too low for your lifestyle. You'll have to play around with it. My "maintenance" calories are 1500 if I use online calculators, but I actually maintain on 2000+ Exercise calories.

The good news is that it will settle down if you're at the right level and can maintain your weight at that calorie level. Just keep doing the right things and stay at that level for a couple more weeks and you should get back down to manageable appetite.

It's a real thing! It happens to me every time I raise calories. It does go away. :)

Piggybacking off this, which is so true! I found that my maintenance was higher than I thought it was too. So you could perhaps use this as a method to figure out what your true maintenance is and potentially be able to eat more. I was really hungry for months after and overate quite a bit but thankfully I stopped as was able to get everything under control. I feel more satisfied now eating at maintenance than I did a few months back.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,659 Member
    Options
    Especially when coming from a large deficit into maintenance it is not uncommon to continue being very hungry for an extended period of time.

An extended time period of eating at or above maintenance seems to be the only cure.

The obvious caveat and issue is that eating above true maintenance has the obvious effect. Usually most people end up gaining everything back plus a little bit more before things settle down.

Thus the only suggestion I have is fighting to stay within true maintenance or accepting as slow of a controlled weight gain as possible in the hopes that things will stabilize over time at below the original weight. a weight trend application may be helpful to you if you're not already using one

I appreciate my helpful woo fans and would love for them to point out to me how informing the original poster that eating at their true maintenance will not result in a weight change (when the OP specifically mentioned in their post that they were concerned that doing so would result in weight gain) does not meet their exacting standards.

Short term increasing food to actual maintenance may result in weight changes due to food volume, or increased carbs for people who low carb, but eating at actual maintenance obviously does not increase long-term fat storage.

• ennailllieno1
    ennailllieno1 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Especially when coming from a large deficit into maintenance it is not uncommon to continue being very hungry for an extended period of time.

An extended time period of eating at or above maintenance seems to be the only cure.

The obvious caveat and issue is that eating above true maintenance has the obvious effect. Usually most people end up gaining everything back plus a little bit more before things settle down.

Thus the only suggestion I have is fighting to stay within true maintenance or accepting as slow of a controlled weight gain as possible in the hopes that things will stabilize over time at below the original weight. a weight trend application may be helpful to you if you're not already using one

I appreciate my helpful woo fans and would love for them to point out to me how informing the original poster that eating at their true maintenance will not result in a weight change (when the OP specifically mentioned in their post that they were concerned that doing so would result in weight gain) does not meet their exacting standards.

Short term increasing food to actual maintenance may result in weight changes due to food volume, or increased carbs for people who low carb, but eating at actual maintenance obviously does not increase long-term fat storage.

I didnt go from 1200-1800 overnight. It was a gradual process over several months. I was at 1500 in September of last year, and have noticed the amount of calories to stay satiated has steadily increased where I just have a really hard time eatng less than 1800 in a day. Its disappointing.
    I would like to have discipline but also want to make sure I'm nourished.
    Being a full tme student also increases my appetite.
  • leejoyce31
    leejoyce31 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Being in a deficit for a prolonged period of time has an impact on various hormones that influence eating behaviors. The same is true for weight loss. I had this same issue when I first started eating more after losing weight and being in an prolonged deficit. These hormones should eventually settle and your appetite should become more manageable. Give it some time. Hang in there.
  • ennailllieno1
    Options
    leejoyce31 wrote: »
    Being in a deficit for a prolonged period of time has an impact on various hormones that influence eating behaviors. The same is true for weight loss. I had this same issue when I first started eating more after losing weight and being in an prolonged deficit. These hormones should eventually settle and your appetite should become more manageable. Give it some time. Hang in there.

So you think I should continue with a small deficit and eventually you think my appetite will decrease maybe?
  • csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    Same. But I also look at hunger differently on either side of maintenance. When trying to lose, I learn to live with empty stomach feeling or not being fully satiated. In maintenance I have an expectation that feeling should be gone perhaps? So I reach for food more often?
  • ennailllieno1
    Options
    ahoy_m8 wrote: »
    ^^ I am not a low carber by any stretch, but I do notice if I eat high carb for breakfast, I'm hungry much much faster, and for the rest of the day, I just can't seem to get enough. E.g. oatmeal. Totally love the stuff, but I have to eat it in the afternoon as a snack. If I eat it first thing, I can't quell the ravenous.

I've just started eating oats for breakie almost every day. That could be it
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options

That's what I am doing.
    It is a *thing* when increasing calories to suddenly be experiencing increased appetite.

That's one reason why we preach to not have a huge deficit at the end of weight loss. Going from 1200 to 1800 in one jump will cause this. It's also possible that even 1800 is too low for your lifestyle. You'll have to play around with it. My "maintenance" calories are 1500 if I use online calculators, but I actually maintain on 2000+ Exercise calories.

The good news is that it will settle down if you're at the right level and can maintain your weight at that calorie level. Just keep doing the right things and stay at that level for a couple more weeks and you should get back down to manageable appetite.

It's a real thing! It happens to me every time I raise calories. It does go away. :)

Sorry. I dont really mean to call you out on this, but do you have any links to studies or scientific evidence of this?
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    psychod787 wrote: »

That's what I am doing.

Sorry. I dont really mean to call you out on this, but do you have any links to studies or scientific evidence of this?

I dont imagine there could be scientific evidence of people's appetites. I read that as cmriverside relaying experience. I know there are many posts in the diet break thread of folks experiencing increased appetite with increased calories. It's possible there's some kind of data to back that up in the Lyle McDonald video posted in there or the following up discussion, it's been a while since I read it.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    psychod787 wrote: »

That's what I am doing.

I dont imagine there could be scientific evidence of people's appetites. I read that as cmriverside relaying experience. I know there are many posts in the diet break thread of folks experiencing increased appetite with increased calories. It's possible there's some kind of data to back that up in the Lyle McDonald video posted in there or the following up discussion, it's been a while since I read it.

Thanks Kimny, I am always just looking for new research in things. I used to be the type of person that fell for guru's bs. I now read scientific research that I put much more stock in.😉