Increased appetite after losing weight..??

Options
2»

Replies

• ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    ahoy_m8 wrote: »
    ^^ I am not a low carber by any stretch, but I do notice if I eat high carb for breakfast, I'm hungry much much faster, and for the rest of the day, I just can't seem to get enough. E.g. oatmeal. Totally love the stuff, but I have to eat it in the afternoon as a snack. If I eat it first thing, I can't quell the ravenous.

I've just started eating oats for breakie almost every day. That could be it

Well, maybe try experimenting with high fat breakfasts with decent protein for a week or two and see if it makes a difference? It's really hard to beat eggs for nutrition (and cost). They're also extremely versatile.
  • h7463
    h7463 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    ^^ I am not a low carber by any stretch, but I do notice if I eat high carb for breakfast, I'm hungry much much faster, and for the rest of the day, I just can't seem to get enough. E.g. oatmeal. Totally love the stuff, but I have to eat it in the afternoon as a snack. If I eat it first thing, I can't quell the ravenous.

Same here! Whatever I eat for breakfast, seems to set the path (to the fridge and back) for me. I love my oats, but by noon, my stomach starts growling. I can go til 2 pm on 3 scrambled eggs and some turkey without even realizing...
  • AnitaCRice
    AnitaCRice Posts: 114 Member
    Options

I can't eat oatmeal for breakfast, or I'm also starving about 1-2 hours later. I'm better off if I eat nothing than if I eat cereal or oatmeal only for breakfast.
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Everyone is different, we all have to experiment.

I like a big portion of steel cut oats in the morning. But yes I also plan for a mid-morning snack on weekdays because it's a long wait from 7-1pm. then lunch at 1ish. but that is just what works for me. I get more protein the rest of the day.
  • ennailllieno1
    ennailllieno1 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! Yeah, I eat breakfast, small mid morning snack, lunch, afternoon snack and then dinner.
    I will try the higher protein and fat breakfasts for a bit and see what happens!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Have you changed your macro split? If you added back a disproportional amount of carbs, that could be causing hunger spikes due to wider fluctuations in glucose.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options

I find that if I add a scoop of protein powder and have some greek yoghurt with my oats I can easily remain satisfied until lunchtime. Without the protein, it is a totally different story. Some also go down the path of savoury oats with egg and vegetables added instead but I prefer a sweeter breakfast.
  • ennailllieno1
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Have you changed your macro split? If you added back a disproportional amount of carbs, that could be causing hunger spikes due to wider fluctuations in glucose.

Yeah I recently took a break from eating meat. That could be it.
    Eating more beans and lentils which have more carbs.
    I generally am pretty good with my macros though, and I haven't changed it since not eatng meat.
  • ennailllieno1
    Options
    I also eat a lot of fruits and veggies which I count but I feel like it adds up the calories without ablctually making me full
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,951 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »

Yeah I recently took a break from eating meat. That could be it.
    Eating more beans and lentils which have more carbs.
    I generally am pretty good with my macros though, and I haven't changed it since not eatng meat.

What percentage of protein is your goal and how often do you hit or exceed it?

I find beans and lentils very filling.

Oats, not at all, even when I add Greek yogurt. A little more so when I also add a half scoop of protein powder. (Can't add too much or it becomes inedible.) It comes to 25 g protein total, 332 calories, and I still don't find it especially filling.
  • sarabushby
    sarabushby Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    I’m another one who’s ravenous just 90minutes after my morning porridge. Even though I use 55g of oats so well over the recommended portion size.

It sounds like you’ve certainly identified a few things to explore with your macros that could explain things.

I also wondered if maybe now you’ve been tracking for a while, perhaps you’ve also become better/more honest with your logging? Eg newbies often underestimate portion sizes or use bad database values but experience and weighing helps us to correct this. Perhaps to a slight degree you’re eating not as many more calories as you think but it just comes out as more in your diary as you’re logging more truly? Just throwing it out there as an idea...
  • merekins
    merekins Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    AnitaCRice wrote: »

I can't eat oatmeal for breakfast, or I'm also starving about 1-2 hours later. I'm better off if I eat nothing than if I eat cereal or oatmeal only for breakfast.

Same. Breakfast in general tends to trigger overeating the rest of the day. Is definitely pattern when I go through diary. The days I struggle to not snack or tend to want to keep eating, are the days I have breakfast. My best breakfast is a 240 calorie latte. I may be drinking my calories here but it works for me. Am sure it’s just the protein/fat that makes difference. If I know I have a higher calorie day ahead of me, eating out/party, I just have a double espresso with a tablespoon of heavy whipping cream. That works too but I tend to prefer having my latte as part of morning ritual. It makes me happy. Lol.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    edited September 2020
    Options
    I know this is a throwback but Ghrelin Blowback can happen after a large weight loss.
    The first time I ate it all back and ghrelin blowback came roaring in. This time I aimed for .5 lbs a week but it actually went much slower than that, taking 2.5 years.

I've been researching that ghrelin blowback hunger that can drive, drive, drive you to eat it all back after a large weight loss. Probiotics/eating more probiotic foods has really helped me this time and I am not experiencing that roaring ghrelin hunger. Here's one link, you can do your own research.

"In conclusion, thylakoids when added to food are powerful promoters of satiety and suppressors of hunger, in particular hedonic hunger. The mechanism is a late satiety, by the use of the whole intestine for digestion of food. In this way satiety hormones are released from the distal intestine, the ileal break, providing information to the brain that satiety has been achieved and a reduced urge for snacking. Since snacking is an important contributor to the global epidemic of obesity today, the consumption of thylakoids may aid in the prevention of this epidemic. The effects of thylakoids are summarized."

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4539357/

https://www.health.harvard.edu/mind-and-mood/do-probiotics-help-relieve-depression