Having trouble losing

Options
13»

Replies

• Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    Options
    Jflowwers wrote: »
    When I have gone about losing weight diligently in the past I have always lost 2-3 lbs a week, especially at first. I suppose patience isn’t my strong suit.

Many people (myself included) tend to have a big drop in the first week or two. This big drop is likely 20% fat loss (what we're aiming for) and 80% other factors (waste in system, water, etc) so isn't really weight loss at least not the sort of weight we're trying to lose (body fat). As such the drops during that initial woosh aren't sustainable and in my case often result in a bounce during week 3 or 4 where my weight will correct itself back up.

My advice is try to be patient and take a longer view of weight loss. Think in terms of months rather than days or weeks.

If you're not using a weight trending app then I'd definitely recommend getting one and using it. It will smooth out the natural weight fluctuations and reveal the actual progress you're making.

I haven't checked, but if you haven't and you feel comfortable doing it then it's a good idea to make your diary public. This way the old-pros on the forum can take a look at your logging and offer some advice about where you might be able to do things better like choosing better diary entries or whatnot.

G'luck

PS: Ignore the Woo unless there's a bunch of them (like 5+). As mentioned some people think woo is like 'WooHoo!!" and others use it to show disagreement when a sensible post goes against their wacky ideas and others just woo people because they don't like them regardless of what the post contains =)
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    Now I saw a woo on my original post. Geez louise, can’t a beginner reach out? This stuff isn’t easy. Maybe this isn’t a great place after all.

Ignore the “Woo.” Since it initially had two meanings, one positive and one negative, some folks still use it as positive. Some folks never knew the meaning, and like you, thought it was woo-hooo!

Pay more attention to the folks here who are trying to help and ignore the less-helpful people. Nay-sayers are everywhere, they only get to you if you let them. :heart:
  • Jflowwers
    Jflowwers Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Thank you @Psychgrrl
  • lcoophou
    lcoophou Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    JFlowwers I've been having the following issues on almost the exact same diet (~1200-1400 cal/day, except for weekends which is a problem for me), and I think it's just sustainable loss that we're experiencing.

I also joined OTF (3x per week, with 1 pilates and/or cycling) and pushed myself too far to injury, so now I have ot modify everything and not jog.. I've been reading OTF success stories and none are quick. One girl only lost 10 lbs in her first ten months. Also, 2lbs/week is a farce for anyone at a sustainable, healthy starting weight.. I've seen about 0.3-0.5 lbs/week over the past 7 weeks and it still varies given changes in water weight.

I've changed my mindset to focus on small gains checked over longer periods of time (measuring hips/waist/belly once per month) and focusing more on how I feel and physical transformation.

Hope that's encouragement! Would love to follow each other on the app and track progress!
  • elena120180
    elena120180 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Same with me 4 weeks gym 5 times a week average burn 450 calories. 1200 calories in a day.did not loose any weight
  • Jflowwers
    Options
    @laurenjcoop I signed up for a month of classes at OT, but wasn’t able to participate in the strength training last class because I was so sore from my PT. I’m hoping they’ll let me pause it, because it seems like I have to do one or the other for now.
  • OCDOD
    OCDOD Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    OK I’ll admit I had no idea that is what woo meant either, LOL! Jflowwers don’t get discouraged just keep doing what you think is best and wait a little longer. You may not see numbers on the scale change but start measuring yourself, the weights make more difference in size than weight. At least that’s been my experience and YES it is annoying. But it is good to be able to fit your clothes better.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    When I have gone about losing weight diligently in the past I have always lost 2-3 lbs a week, especially at first. I suppose patience isn’t my strong suit.

If you lose slower, eating in the way you want to eat once you reach your goal weight (just a little less of it), you will be more likely to keep the weight off long term and not have to resort to 'dieting' over and over again. Patience may not be your strong suit but try it, while thinking of the long term success you can have.
  • vggb
    vggb Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Message boards can seem brutal and can be brutal in comments. There is a lack of 'feelings' a lot of the time, it can be intimidating and hurtful when you decide that comments are non-supportive. I used to react the same way until I decided not to take it so personally and grow a thicker skin. You got some really good answers to your concern.

I too am struggling. I can't seem to go down beyond a 6 pound fluctuation! But I am older and have some metabolic/hormone issues that I am doctoring on. I also don't work out, although I am active, I just don't go to the gym or do 'exercises'.

So hang in there, be tough, quiet the negative noise you are hearing. You are on your way to a better you.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Let me clarify, I started 6 weeks ago. I was merely stating that my weight hasn’t dropped much, and this past week it has actually gone up. To the person telling me to “eat less” when I stated I eat 1200-1300 calories a day, pretty irresponsible bogus advice.

I am weighing everything on a scale and logging EVERYTHING. Most days I have pre logged in the morning.

Okay how many pounds are you trying to lose in total?

With 10 pounds to goal, a 1/2 pound a week loss would be great progress. With a total goal of 10-25, it's just 1 pound a week. That 8-16 oz. can get lost in higher sodium meal - retaining water, sore muscles - retaining water, time of month - retaining water. Even bathroom habits will change the scale.

Food scales are very helpful. But picking accurate database entries can be trying at times. Many of the entries are user generated, be careful because there is so much crap out there.

This is a great place, but read the stickie posts.....so many basic questions will be answered there.
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10300331/most-helpful-posts-getting-started-must-reads#latest
  • Jflowwers
    Options
    @TeaBea I am trying to lose around 35 lbs.
  • BMcC9
    BMcC9 Posts: 4,438 Member
    Options
    Trying not to stray off topic ... but apparently if someone is using the app on phone it is possible to accidentally "woo" when scrolling ,,,, that is most likely what happened on the original post.
  • lcoophou
    lcoophou Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I recently went to the doctor because I was discouraged and confused about not losing weight, and she said "stick to it for 3+ months and if you see zero change, come back and we'll talk." So I think small decreases over time (I've lost ~5 lbs in two months, ~.5 per week) is what you should pay attention to and celebrate. When I started out - I was expecting to lose 2 lbs per week, which isn't realistic loss. It sounds like we're on very similar paths. I would track your progress and stay encouraged by little victories - little victories over longer timespans are great victories, and that's what will help you reach those goals.

Also, I've noticed my weight pattern oscillates. I track my weight with a moving average (5 day and 7 day sliding averages) to ensure I don't get tied down by those 5+ lb gains during my period or random mornings where I'm retaining more water weight. I've attached a screenshot of my doc - happy to share it with you if you'd like. I weigh myself in the morning and track it over time - I'm gunning for 180 days to track full progress and then re-assess. (The gray is real - and all over the place, orange and blue are averaged)

4vpxvfmi7u7o.png