Just calories- Not macros

2»

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    @janejellyroll
    No I’m saying a healthy approach to include all macros and pay attention to not eating excessive carbs as the science is becoming more and more clear that consuming excessive complex carbohydrates I.e. sugars leads to retention of visceral fat at other potential health issues.

Macros are important.

The initial statement was the complex carbohydrates were not ideal, now you seem to be amending that to say that we should avoid "excessive" complex carbohydrates.

What would you define as "excessive" and what science are you referring to?

Of course, excessive carbs would likely mean excessive calories - which is the real problem.

Granitepeak, as long as one stays in calorie deficit - weight loss happens.

Look at this guy, carbs carbs and more carbs:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10348650/cico-still-skeptical-come-inside-for-a-meticulous-log-that-proves-it/p1

Yeah, I would say anything "excessive," by the very definition, would be too much. The point is where you decide something is "excessive," I would say that if it isn't crowding out the protein and fat you need and you aren't going over your calorie goals, then your carbohydrate intake probably isn't "excessive," especially if we're talking about complex carbohydrates, which are often rich in vitamins and/or fiber.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    I’m saying look at the science. Fruits and veggies, Whole Foods are good, but be careful with excess sugars. Complex carbs like breads, processed and refined sugars should looked at in moderation. I have lost over 65 pounds and ran several sl marathons and experienced several ups and downs through the process. My body responds best with limited (not eliminating) carbs especially processed and refined carbs. My point being paying attention to macros is important, a simple calorie in calorie out concept is not a complete picture approach.

You're saying look at the science, but you're just posting your own anecdotal experience to support. I've lost over 40 pounds, maintained it for years, and have also run several marathons and my body runs best on a carbohydrate-rich diet. My results seems to be very similar to yours, but my personal takeaway on diet is the opposite.

You can find people with all kinds of experiences, so instead of talking about your personal experience, share the science with us.
  • BeSummerShine
    BeSummerShine Posts: 59 Member
    Thank you guys for the feedback.
    Since on my journey, I tried to really cut carbs as it seems to be what people are having the best results with. However, I was exhausted all the time. So now I’m trying to figure out a balance. My body does seem to hold onto carbs more so I do want to limit just not to the extent I was.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Ppl lose weight when they cut carbs because you retain water - carbs take more water to process/digest than other macros
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,048 Member
    edited February 2019
    Ppl lose weight when they cut carbs because you retain water - carbs take more water to process/digest than other macros

... and to store... 4:1 water:glycogen storage in muscle & liver. Hence depleting glycogen stores accompanied by loss of water weight.

ETA: There is nothing wrong with being fully hydrated, and glycogen storage is AWESOME. This is NOT something to avoid!
  • pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    I'm all over the place in my macros which I sometimes take note of at the end of a food logging day; just as an afterthought and never for meal planning. I enjoy both days - high carb days and low carb days with higher fat days. I'm not a big do'er of high protein days or Keto because I've learned that I need my carbs to fuel my lifestyle and fitness requirements.

My standard and unsolicited advice is to relax and approach your eating to fuel your body and meet your satiety needs, letting the macro chips fall where they may. You'll find your macro sweet spot this way - intuitively eating - and your gut and mind will thank you.
  • jasondjulian
    jasondjulian Posts: 182 Member
    edited February 2019
    Can I still loss a decent amount of weight with just counting calories and not so much paying attention to my macros?

I’m 157 and trying to get down to 140. Female, 27 years old.

Sure... I've lost 77lbs doing just that.. on track to drop roughly 3 more pounds (2% of current body weight), which not only will be a total of 80lbs lost, but also all done by only tracking calories, weighing, measuring and logging my food and drink intake.

As I've now reached a healthy weight, it's more about body composition now.. so I'll be readdressing and assessing my calorie intake, probably looking more towards tracking macros and not exclusively calories, working on fitness goals and building lean mass rather than just shedding pounds and reducing BF %.

But for pure, unadulterated weight loss, calories in/out or energy consumed is perfectly fine; but I would caution against just eating junk foods with little to no nutritional value. While calories matter, and are technically all the same, where those calories come from has a huge effect on your health and wellness.