Poor excercise and food management

Options
Lately i feel that, i have been managing my food and exercise poorly, i will go to the gym one day rest the next and say i will go the day after rest day but don't go usually until 2 rests pass

Also finding it really difficulty to find any food that are healthy that i enjoy green, and fruits and vegs are the hardest for me.

What do you guys like, any recommendation to stick to routine and establish it better? it's been hard with how my schedule falls for work since i only work part time.

Been at this diet for 2 months and getting very discourage not see much of a change, please help

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    do you weigh your food with scales?
  • Skrilus
    Skrilus Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    i usually track the calories everyday and i know about what i eat rough estimate but i'm pretty honest with myself but you're probably right but regardless the gym almost feels like a burden more then anything i pay 70 dollars a month and feel like i haven't gotten much from it even though i go for usually an hour at least 2-3 times a week
  • littlegreenparrot1
    littlegreenparrot1 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Do you like the gym? If not is there anything you would like better, running, swimming, whatever else?
    If that's not feasible are there classes, or do they have a trainer you could see every week or two? Changing things up a bit might make you feel like you're more invested and getting more out of it.

In terms of diet I would suggest doing it a bit at a time. In the first place it's calories that are most important, so measuring at least to start with.
    Then if you want you can start to substitute things in to up the fruit and veg. It's hard to make suggestions without knowing your preferences. But things like sweet potato wedges with dinner, fruit as a snack. Do you cook? Very easy to increase the veg content if you do.

The only thing that works for me is to just go and do it. I am very good at talking myself out of things. At a certain time I am going to get my stuff and go. As soon as I get into the conversation in my head about how I don't want to, I'm tired, it's cold can't be bothered (insert many lame excuses here!) I won't. So I have to try and cut it off and just haul my backside out. Mostly it works, not always....

Stick with it, choose something else to try and just see if it works better.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,030 Member
    Options
    I disliked the gym membership too.

I do like swimming and I do like hiking and walking, and I've been using a food scale for years along with logging my food.

It takes what it takes - but you have to know how much you're eating if you haven't lost weight. The exercise is good for you but you'll only do something you like, so maybe take up a sport?
  • lin_be
    lin_be Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Also, have a plan when you walk into the gym. Have a program ready. You’re more likely to feel like you’re making progress is you have a plan you’re following.
  • becca_rup23
    becca_rup23 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Im having similar issues because I just can't seem to stick with my routines when something pops up, but I'm learning that that's life and I've gotta be able to be flexible and still hit my goals. I agree with you about the scale, but I do use it at times in case I'm not sure what a good portion should look like, then once I know I can gauge it myself most of the time. What I do is control what I can as far as eating goes then exercise isn't so neceasary, or if I know I'm going to have something extra make sure thats an exercise day. But I'm still struggling too! Good luck and you can do it!
  • jlynnm70
    jlynnm70 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    It's hard - but you really do need to log everything. Use a scale - the biggest eye opener for me when I used it was to readjust portion sizes in my eyes. I needed to know what 4 oz of steak looked like, or what a true serving of cereal was. Makes a HUGE difference. Now when my weight creeps back up - I get that scale out again and use it to realign my portions. Usually what I've done is started thinking 6 oz was 4 by eyeballing it - and when I get it back in line - much better off.

Also- just do little things to up your activity. I've added a couple thousand steps to my day by walking the entire hallway each time I get up to use the restroom (I drink a lot of water) - but if I stopped at the doors - I'd walk maybe 50 steps - walk the whole hallway and back before going in - and again coming out - easily over 250! - do that 10 times a day and that's a lot. NEAT is important for burning calories - even things that don't get logged - like fidgeting. I try to make it a habit to bounce my leg when sitting - or stretching my arms a few times - or just walking around the coffee table before I sit on the couch (reminds me of when I had a dog that had to turn 3 times before laying down HAHA)

It's all in how bad you want it. Make small changes at first so you don't get overwhelmed - I have always found that to be easier.

And Good Luck!
  • chornak05
    chornak05 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I spent years lamenting that I couldn't lose weight but not really making any commitment to anything. Then one day I realized that no one was going to do it for me and that I needed to get past all the dumb excuses. Eat less, move more. Once I had made the commitment to myself I lost 50 lbs in a little under a year.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    chornak05 wrote: »
    I spent years lamenting that I couldn't lose weight but not really making any commitment to anything. Then one day I realized that no one was going to do it for me and that I needed to get past all the dumb excuses. Eat less, move more. Once I had made the commitment to myself I lost 50 lbs in a little under a year.

Actually.... to quote James Hill co creator of the NWCR, " Move more, eat more." We humans are designed to do two things well. Eat and turn those calories into offspring.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,981 Member
    Options
    Skrilus wrote: »
    i usually track the calories everyday and i know about what i eat rough estimate but i'm pretty honest with myself but you're probably right but regardless the gym almost feels like a burden more then anything i pay 70 dollars a month and feel like i haven't gotten much from it even though i go for usually an hour at least 2-3 times a week

Have you worked with a personal trainer at all? A few sessions is a great investment. They can help you develop a routine you like and so will do, as well as make sure your form is correct. Or you can pick a program and they can help you with that. (I'm sure someone will be by to post a link to our thread with various programs.)

I just like gyms for weights - I prefer to get my cardio outdoors and so do that.

Do you have an mp3 player? A great workout playlist makes a big difference to me. I always listen to music at the gym but when I'm walking often listen to podcasts, which make the time fly by.