Under 100 carbs a day question

Options
Hey! I am starting a low carb diet and right now just focusing on the under 100 carbs a day rule. Anyone else had success with this? Do you still only count the NET carbs?
Thanks!

Replies

• zeejane03
    zeejane03 Posts: 993 Member
    Options
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Some people find low carb to be good for health and limiting hunger. I like etymology low carb but it varies from person to person.

Some like net carbs. I used total carbs but only ate carbs with a fair bit of fibre. Do whatever works for you.
  • lisaakennedy81
    lisaakennedy81 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have been doing keto since October. I try to keep my carbs under 60 and usually manage about 25 to 40 net carbs. So far I've lost 21 pounds. Not much but better than gaining!
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,986 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    Some people find low carb to be good for health and limiting hunger. I like etymology low carb but it varies from person to person.

Some like net carbs. I used total carbs but only ate carbs with a fair bit of fibre. Do whatever works for you.

Looks like you've been the victim of auto correct. I'm curious what etymology was supposed to be. I'm thinking Khomeini nope -- lethargic nope -- metric nope -- Leroy nope -- wow, auto correct & swipe keyboard really don't want to let me type ketogenic. :o
  • whatalazyidiot
    whatalazyidiot Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    How is 100 g carbs (or net carbs) dangerous?

OP, it's really up to you, but usually I think the higher low carb levels are total carbs. I aimed for around 100 g for a while (found it a pretty easy way to eat for me, especially on lower cals), and it was total carbs.

I eat more carbs now, however.

This is what I was thinking too. I have really only heard of Keto/super low carb people counting net carbs.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,986 Member
    Options

Looks like you've been the victim of auto correct. I'm curious what etymology was supposed to be. I'm thinking Khomeini nope -- lethargic nope -- metric nope -- Leroy nope -- wow, auto correct & swipe keyboard really don't want to let me type ketogenic. :o

Oops! I shouldn't post without rereading. Sorry.

If you can believe it, I tried to type "very" low carb. Huh.
    :D

I believe it. I think auto correct causes more confusion than it alleviates. If somebody mistyped very as vry, we'd all figure it out. I don't think anybody is going to get from etymology to very. Unfortunately, we seem to be stuck with it.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »

Oops! I shouldn't post without rereading. Sorry.

If you can believe it, I tried to type "very" low carb. Huh.
    :D

LOL.

Years ago (in college) I wrote a paper on Moby Dick, and ran spell check (no autocorrect back then in the dark ages) and it suggested "Arab" for "Ahab" and "Israel" for "Ishmael." I've always thought I should have gone with it and maybe discovered that I'd written something brilliant about Middle Eastern politics.

LOL
    For some reason on my phone I often hit to the left, or below, the key. It makes for some bizarre spellings.

This is old, and completely off topic, but a favorite of mine on the "impotence" of proofreading

https://youtu.be/p_rwB5_3PQc
  • KaciKaciKaci555
    KaciKaciKaci555 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    oh gosh, thanks for the responses! I decided to stick with Keto after all, it's easier than I expected.