Kale. .. . . So healthy. . How do you like yours???

Options
Okay so this was my first time ATTEMPTING. . .lol. . . to make kale chips. . . I'm afraid I didn't do a great job of it. . . TRIAL AND ERROR. . I guess. ..

I want to learn to use kale and I am afraid that I am not very good at it. . . I don't know what to do with it other than steam it. . . Or put it in a salad. . .

So I would love hints on high nutritional value veggies and how you cook them.Thanks in advance

Replies

• healthyjen342
    healthyjen342 Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    BUMP!
  • fridayjustleft04
    fridayjustleft04 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    The only thing I've used kale for is chips..put it on some parchment paper, spray with nonstick (olive oil flavor for me), season them with salt, and throw them in the oven until crispy..simple.
  • Twinmom1221
    Twinmom1221 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    A friend brought Kale chips to our party the other night. At first I laughed at him becuase who brings baked lettuce to a party, but they were great. He said he took the stems out, washed it, and put it though a salad spinner to get all the water off. He put them on a baking sheet and spritzed with olive oil and sprinkled with salt and baked at 350 until they were starting to brown. They were amazing.
  • NotGoddess
    NotGoddess Posts: 1,198 Member
    Options
    I add it raw to my turkey wraps instead of using lettuce. I haven't tried cooking it yet, so if someone has a good method, post it!
  • eelamme
    eelamme Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    There is a suasage and kale soup made with tomatoes and potatoes that my fiance loooooves.
  • Murphk323
    Murphk323 Posts: 184
    Options
    kale, bosc pear slices, red onion, cucumber, sliced almonds and raspberry vinagrette dressing.
  • elizabethblake
    elizabethblake Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I used the dehydrator to make kale chips last summer, they are addictive! One of my coworkers puts a handful into his fruit smoothie and swears it gives him an energy boost.
  • Shae3891
    Shae3891 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I actually mix it into my smooties can't taste it and I hardly notice a difference in texture
  • kaitimae
    kaitimae Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Chips chips chipssss is the only way I have ever or care to eat kale. YUM!!! Tips for kale chips... make sure you rinse the kale really well, and then DRY it really well. (Maybe throw it in a salad spinner, if you have one.) Spray with cooking spray, or toss with a little olive oil. Spice it with whatever spices you like. Bake. If you find your kale chips are soggy, cook them longer and/or turn up the temperature. Make sure to stir them, and watch so they don't burn. You want the edges to be brown, but not brown all over the leaf. Lastly, make sure you get the kale with the curly/wrinkly edges. =)
  • ItsMeLori
    ItsMeLori Posts: 346
    Options
    I have chopped it up and used it in a smoothie. Called a Green Smoothie

2 cup chopped kale
    1 cup frozen mixed fruit
    1 cup almond milk
    water if needed
    You can add whey protein if you want
  • sundancer1966
    sundancer1966 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    We use it for many things.

We add to smoothies.

One of my favorite things to do with it is saute (nonstick pan, very little pam) with onion, garlic, black beans and red chard. add favorite spices. YUM.

I also break it apart - stems out, and add to veggie soup.

Sometimes just steammed with a bit of lemon juice is nice.

Have been buying vegan Kale chips, thanks all for the hints on how to do it myself :happy: :happy:
  • Gary6030
    Gary6030 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Look up the healthy version of Olive Garden's Zuppa Toscana Soup. It uses kale. I made it once before it was tremendous but I can't find the recipe now.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I made an awesome side dish the other day. It is a kale and potato hash...so delicious (and easy!). The recipe is from EatingWell.com http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/kale_potato_hash.html

Kale & Potato Hash
    Serve as a side with a steak or pork chops or set a poached egg on top for a hearty breakfast or brunch.

4 servings, 1/2 cup each | Active Time: 35 minutes | Total Time: 35 minutes
    Ingredients

* 8 cups torn kale leaves, (about 1/2 large bunch; see Tip)
    * 2 tablespoons horseradish
    * 1 medium shallot, minced
    * 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
    * 1/4 teaspoon salt
    * 2 cups cooked shredded potatoes, (see Ingredient note)
    * 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil

Preparation

1. Place kale in a large microwave-safe bowl, cover and microwave until wilted, about 3 minutes. Drain, cool slightly, and finely chop.
    2. Meanwhile, mix horseradish, shallot, pepper and salt in a large bowl. Add the chopped kale and potatoes; stir to combine.
    3. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the kale mixture, spread into an even layer and cook, stirring every 3 to 4 minutes and returning the mixture to an even layer, until the potatoes begin to turn golden brown and crisp, 12 to 15 minutes total.

Nutrition

Per serving : 240 Calories; 12 g Fat; 2 g Sat; 8 g Mono; 0 mg Cholesterol; 30 g Carbohydrates; 6 g Protein; 5 g Fiber; 244 mg Sodium; 651 mg Potassium

Tips & Notes

* Tip: A 1- to 1 1/2-pound bunch of kale yields 16 to 24 cups of chopped leaves.When preparing kale for these recipes, remove the tough ribs, chop or tear the kale as directed, then wash it--allowing some water to cling to the leaves. The moisture helps steam the kale during the first stages of cooking.
    * Ingredient Note: Fresh, partially cooked, shredded potatoes for hash browns can be found in the refrigerated produce section and sometimes in the dairy section of most supermarkets. Alternatively, boil potatoes until they can just be pierced with a fork but are not completely tender. Let cool slightly, then shred.
  • bananamac
    bananamac Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Kale smoothies! Seriously, they're amazing. I used to have one every morning for breakfast.

Try this (makes 2 large smoothies):

1 banana
    4 cups chopped kale (you can go with less when you're starting out)
    1 - 2 cups mango chunks, or pineapple chunks, or a mix *
    orange juice, or water **

Pulse the banana and the kale until the kale has turned to mush (you may need to add a bit of juice or water).
    Add the fruit, and blend, adding juice/water until you get the consistency you want.

* using yellow fruit like mango and pineapple means you get a vibrant green smoothie... you can use berries with delicious results, but the smoothie is closer to a swampy mud colour.

** some of my friends use almond or soy milk instead of juice, but I've always preferred the cleaner, less creamy taste of fruit juice or water
  • scapez
    scapez Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    Bumping for all of the yummy stuff!
  • Vegan_Chick
    Vegan_Chick Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    The easiest way to eat kale if not in a smoothie is to saute it in balsamic vineagr and add some raisins. Even my kids like it!
  • MelMoly
    MelMoly Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    I use it in soup...all kinds it works! :bigsmile:
  • cdstadt
    cdstadt Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Every time I try to make kale chips, they always taste burned.

I'll keep eating it sauteed with tons of lemon juice until someone makes some GOOD kale chips for me!
    I've seen recipes that grill kale, so that's probably awesome.

I also prefer turnip and collard greens over kale, so.
  • writtenINthestars
    writtenINthestars Posts: 1,933 Member
    Options
    ...the few times I've tried Kale, I didn't like it. But since I know it's very good for me...I'm curious to see what others suggest!
  • Coco187
    Coco187 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I have never heard of kale chips. I will be tring them. But, for those who have never cooked kale. My favorite is to saltee in olive oil just enough to blanch. I love it love it.