Reflection After Bad Decisions

Options
Hi all,

More of a vent or discussion point rather than a question, really.

This weekend has not been great. Yesterday, I started the day well, had some medical tests I wasn't looking forward to and felt positive and proud of myself. I had some drinks in the evening, not even celebrating, just decided to, and drank entirely too much.

Alcohol is not really ever a good choice for me, as I sort of flip a switch and then up overly emotional or aggressive. I'm not a happy drunk.

Of course, excess alcohol led to excess food and it happened to spill into today as well. I don't even know how many calories I've eaten because I am not yet game enough to log everything. The proof will be in my weigh-in in a week.

By far, the worst things are the bloating, lethargy and poor emotional wellbeing. I realise I must have felt this way a lot of the time before I started making better food decisions and exercising.

Though the last two days have been crap, I feel I've learnt alot. I really don't want to feel like this again, and there isn't any excuse for me to, because I can have foods that make me feel happy and well, including beloved chocolate, as part of my weight loss journey.

I'm looking forward to tomorrow, and feel like a tool for having taken such poor care of myself for so long. I'm also making a decision to stop drinking entirely. I just don't want to.

Thanks for listening! Here's to a new week.

Replies

• jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    This is some good insight that will serve you well on your weight loss journey!
  • k8eekins
    k8eekins Posts: 2,264 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

More of a vent or discussion point rather than a question, really.

This weekend has not been great. Yesterday, I started the day well, had some medical tests I wasn't looking forward to and felt positive and proud of myself. I had some drinks in the evening, not even celebrating, just decided to, and drank entirely too much.

Alcohol is not really ever a good choice for me, as I sort of flip a switch and then up overly emotional or aggressive. I'm not a happy drunk.

Of course, excess alcohol led to excess food and it happened to spill into today as well. I don't even know how many calories I've eaten because I am not yet game enough to log everything. The proof will be in my weigh-in in a week.

By far, the worst things are the bloating, lethargy and poor emotional wellbeing. I realise I must have felt this way a lot of the time before I started making better food decisions and exercising.

Though the last two days have been crap, I feel I've learnt alot. I really don't want to feel like this again, and there isn't any excuse for me to, because I can have foods that make me feel happy and well, including beloved chocolate, as part of my weight loss journey.

I'm looking forward to tomorrow, and feel like a tool for having taken such poor care of myself for so long. I'm also making a decision to stop drinking entirely. I just don't want to.

Thanks for listening! Here's to a new week.

The emboldened is a start. Securing our sobriety is a process.

If you need to talk, please feel free to add me.

Welcome to myfitnesspal!
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    I think it's great that you're able to self-reflect in this way. I've had days where I've overindulged and had those same physical and emotional feelings. The end result used to be beating myself up over it and/or trying to undereat to balance out my binge but over time I learned to ask myself why it happened and think about how I felt in the end. The fact that you already have that mindset is fantastic and you're absolutely right. It was just one day in the grand scheme of things and now that you know how it makes you feel you can avoid it in the future.
  • 150poundsofme
    150poundsofme Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Great insight into yourself. Thanks for sharing. A new day to breath, start over. Hugs
  • lin_be
    lin_be Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Consistency, not perfection!
  • fatmonsters
    fatmonsters Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Hey OP, I discovered the Sober Squad and a second moderate drinking thread in Mfp. Through that I discovered Annie Grace and the 30-day alcohol experiment (free). You have nothing to lose and everything to gain- it will help I believe with moderation or abstinence if you so choose, and give you new eyes to look at your patterns. It has been very useful to me in keeping on track on my weight loss journey. You sound like you may be in a similar place to where I was earlier this year, and it could be helpful. Best of luck, your awareness around this means you’re probably ready to make some changes.
  • xxxMADMAXxxx
    xxxMADMAXxxx Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    katierthanmost,
    Good for you for pushing through and reevaluating.
    Something that has made a huge difference for me (I just signed up a week ago) is logging everything down before I eat. Doing this means I am eating intentionally (in other words, it is impossible to thoughtlessly binge) I am not sure if I am doing this totally right, but I allow myself to eat anything as long as I don't go over my calorie count. So far, it has been working!

I think that cutting alcohol will make a huge difference mainly because it will help you to make deliberate decisions with your food goals. Good luck to you on this brand new week. :smile:
    I am impressed that you shared your journey publicly so soon after joining. Keep moving forward- well done.